Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2024

Some 20/20 possibilities

Solihin G. P. - Indonesian politician and Lt. Gen who was the Governor of West Java 1970-1975. He's been in and out of hospital since suffering a stroke in 2017 and was rumored dead in 2021 when he was ill with covid. 97 this year.

Sao Sanda - Burmese royal and last princess of Yawnghwe, 95 this year. Apparently attended the wedding of QEII. Probably not many of those still living.

Mohamed Fayek - Nasser-era Egyptian cabinet minister. 94 this year.

Sankara Narayana Menon Chundayil - One hell of a name (try saying that), however also called Shri Sankaranarayana Menon and Unni Gurukkal. Indian martial artist, master of Kerala's Kalaripayattu and Padma Shri recipient. Wheelchairbound and quite frail. 94 next month.

Jukka Haavisto - Finnish jazz vibraphonist and accordionist. Lyme disease, 93 this year.

K. W. Lee - Korean-US journalist. Liver and stomach cancer survivor and underwent a liver transplant 31 years ago. 95 in June. 

Max Baldwin - Australian Olympic canoeist, 95. Lost the ability to move his other leg due to polio in 1929.

T. K. Murthy - 98-year-old Indian mridangam master. Has never really looked very healthy.

Wang Huo - Chinese writer and best friend of Ma Shitu. Survived multiple heart attacks a few years ago and every time he makes a public appearance he looks like a different person. 99 this year.

Budimir Lončar - Formerly the Foreign Affairs Minister of Yugoslavia, Croatia's own Kissinger still around to tell how things should be done in his opinion. 99 this year.

Gazi Yaşargil - Turkish pioneer of microneurosurgery. 98 this year.

Ihor Yukhnovskyi - Former Vice Prime Minister of Ukraine. 97.

Vija Vētra - Latvian Classical Indian dancer who lives in the US. Appeared in a few episodes of Mister Rogers' Neighbourhood in the 1960s and 1970s. 100 next month.

• Like 3

On 05/01/2023 at 19:57, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:
On 05/01/2023 at 19:26, Handrejka said:

I read on another forum that Valerie Leon is in Denville Hall. She will be 80 this year, may be worth keeping an eye on?

Her Twitter account is still active.

Whether it is her that posts on it?

The last pics I saw of her, she looked bloody superb for her mature years.

• Like 2

Really think the committee (and myself) should stop overlooking Sophia Loren. She’ll be 90 next year and deserves a spot. I always considered her to be Kind of immortal but she’s definitely going into dangerous zone now. And as we know, not everyone makes it to 100 or is beyond 100.

11 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Really think the committee (and myself) should stop overlooking Sophia Loren. She’ll be 90 next year and deserves a spot. I always considered her to be Kind of immortal but she’s definitely going into dangerous zone now. And as we know, not everyone makes it to 100 or is beyond 100.

In terms of glamour icons/actresses, Ursula Andress deserves more consideration at this stage IMO

2 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

In terms of glamour icons/actresses, Ursula Andress deserves more consideration at this stage IMO

Andress deserves consideration TOO but imo Loren is a legend, the last one of a very small group (Hepburn, Baccall, Bergman, Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor etc…). Plus, she’s the last living inclusion of the AFI’s best actor/actress list

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Antiques Roadshow ceramics expert Henry Sandon (now 94) is selling his ceramics collection because he feels he can no longer care for it

Why? Does he feed it and take it to walkies twice a day?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneManJury said:

Why? Does he feed it and take it to walkies twice a day?

He likes to get it out and handle it and he fears that his control is not adequate and he might break some bits and if he can't look at it and enjoy it properly he feels that it should be with someone who can

• Like 1

For pools, Kitanofuji Katsuaki, 52nd Yokozuna of Sumo Wrestling. (Image from earlier this month)

katsuaki.thumb.jpg.7cd167fb2fee399ec857df967aad7e1e.jpg

While he seems a bit eternal and is still an active sumo commentator (living the time his friend and rival Tamanoumi Masahiro didn't get to live?), at 80 (81 in two months) he's ancient for a sumo wrestler and also had a heart surgery some years ago.

(There are a lot of younger but more ill prominent sumo wrestlers and of course those sumo wrestlers who later became professional wrestlers - for example Akebono Tarō, no idea how he's still alive. There's also one who's pretty old, born around 1951, can't remember the name at the moment. Edit: Genichiro Tenryu!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

He likes to get it out and handle it and he fears that his control is not adequate and he might break some bits and if he can't look at it and enjoy it properly he feels that it should be with someone who can

129975006_OoohMatron.jpg.63e9950bfff509c680b9b8198bb7fd21.jpg

• Haha 7

A new video  about Catherine Laborde, perenial pick for french teams here, suffering from

body lewy dementia since 2016 or more. She doesn’t look bad but states that she is not doing well, you can tell by the way her eyes move that she’s completely lost. Can see her surviving the year though but at What coast ? She’s disminished and this thing seems just horryfiyng 

https://fb.watch/iiINxevgBl/

I was watching an old episode of Have I got News For You.  I found out there is a thing called Members of the Order of Merit.  Here are its current members.  Not sure about the health of any of them but quite a few are getting on in years

Sir Norman Foster          1st June 1935
Sir Roger Penrose         8th August 1931
Sir Tom Stoppard            3rd July 1937
King Charles III            14th November 1948
The Lord Rothschild        29th April 1936
Sir David Attenborough         8th May 1926
The Baroness Boothroyd        8th October 1929
The Lord Earnes            27th April 1937
Sir Tim Berners-Lee        8th June 1955
The Lord Rees of Ludlow        23rd June 1942
Jean Chrétien            11th January 1934
Neil MacGregor            16th June 1946
David Hockney            9th July 1937
John Howard                26th July 1939
Sir Simon Rattle            19th January 1955
Sir Magdi Yacoub            16th November 1935
The Lord Darzi of Denham    7th May 1960
Dame Ann Dowling            15th July 1952
Sir James Dyson            2nd May 1947
Sir David Adjaye             22nd September 1966
Dame Elizabeth Anionwu         2th July 1947
The Baroness Benjamin         23rd September 1949
Margaret MacMillan         23rd December 1943
Sir Paul Nurse             25th January 1949
Venki Ramakrishnan         1st April 1952

• Like 1

Saw this on FB.  Barely scratches the surface, but it’s a list and we all know how DLers who have joined since 2019 love their lists.

I didn’t compile said list and am not responsible for its accuracy or lack thereof.

SC

14E40566-AF48-4B91-9AAD-AA7FF5042B7A.png

Why not Walter Mirisch? Certainly old and famous enough. 

He produced several of the most famous and influential films ever made (The Pink Panther, The Magnificent Seven, In the Heat of the Night).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Love to all my fellow DLers who have joined since 2019 and love lists.

Meanwhile: the DLers who joined in 2018 and love lists :unsure:

And to all my fellow 2017 inductees who love lists 

Luckily us pre-2017 DLers don't do lists.

I just about managed that with a straight face...

• Haha 6

2016er here. Lists are just things that make it longer to scroll down.

Cue facepalms…

1 hour ago, TQR said:

2016er here. Lists are just things that make it longer to scroll down.

Cue facepalms…

Lists are good as long as subsequent posters don't keep quoting them in full.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Johnny Ruffo - Been dealing with a brain tumor for a few years now and a few months ago he said he wanted to make it until Christmas. As of January he is still alive.

On 25/01/2023 at 01:20, arghton said:

(There are a lot of younger but more ill prominent sumo wrestlers and of course those sumo wrestlers who later became professional wrestlers - for example Akebono Tarō, no idea how he's still alive. There's also one who's pretty old, born around 1951 1950, can't remember the name at the moment. Edit: Genichiro Tenryu!)

As far as I know this is a recent image of Genichiro Tenryu:

tenryu.thumb.png.01fc401fd9f0594e9cbf4806919c8784.png

(Still in a rehabilitation centre/hospital due to the spine illness he had five months ago and other ailments)

One of those names for smaller pools, New Zealand comedian Dai Henwood has stage 4 cancer

• Like 2