Paul Bearer

Phillip Schofield

Reading the presenters thread, talking about him seems a good enough reason to start a thread.  

I give you a thread called “ The Phillip Schofield thread”. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Reading the presenters thread, talking about him seems a good enough reason to start a thread.  

I give you a thread called “ The Philip Schofield thread”. 

Cheers.

Possibly rename it to Phillip Schofield though? Double L - coincidentally the place Schofield is now.

• Like 1

Hmm, for all the emotional turmoil and his daughters saving his life I'm not anticipating a pending cark so much as a rising from the ashes, a new angle (guilt, recovery, presenting one-off stuff with empathy for others in the same shit) and doubtless supermarket tabloid gold the next time he finds love. Aspelesque longevity awaits, IMHO

I am pretty sure there will be a book deal in the next few months

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am pretty sure there will be a book deal in the next few months

Aye, but Willoughby any TV gold by way of a reconciliation? (arf!)

There will, inevitably, be an appearance on I'm a Celebrity or Celebrity Big Brother (is that still going?) or something similar.

Piers Morgan's Life Stories maybe, the man will speak to anyone.

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, but Willoughby any TV gold by way of a reconciliation? (arf!)

I think his return might be by stealth. Maybe an invitation to appear as a guest presenter on something like The One Show - it will be  a massive pay cut but he does come across as quite likeable unlike Willoughby who appears to think anyone presented to her (especially "the public") have just crawled out of a drain

• Like 1

As Toast said in the Presenters thread, his performance seems to reek of narcissism, so let’s have a look at what he said in the Amol Rajan interview and refer to the Narcissist’s Prayer

‘That didn’t happen’ - he lied about it for years.

’And if it did, it wasn’t that bad’ - “Unwise but not illegal relationship” springs immediately to mind.

‘And if it is, that’s not a big deal’ - He says they were mates and it only happened 5 or 6 times.

‘And if it is, that’s not my fault’ - He then says it all came about when the younger man came into his dressing room (euphemism not intended).

‘And if it is, I didn’t mean it’ - Goes on to say about that point in his life coinciding with the biggest inner turmoil regarding his sexuality.

‘And if I did, you deserved it’ - This one can’t really be applied but 5/6 ain’t bad.

What he has done is awful, but I think it’s very much time to put this story to bed, for the good of the young man involved, Schofield’s family and the news in general; Johnson has just stuck a Molotov through the letterbox of Downing Street, let’s hear more about this please BBC.

• Like 3

"I would still have been in trouble, because I'd broken the rules of having a relationship with someone at work," he said when asked if an affair with a woman would have cost him his job, "but I don't think it would have been a massive scandal."

Utter bollox. If the female had also been 15 when the originally met and like in this case nothing seemingly happend for another few years it absolutely still would have been a big scandal

• Like 1

Times have changed so much since I was in a conventional workplace.  It wasn't a crime to hook up with someone who worked in the same company, it didn't raise any eyebrows, in fact it was the way a lot of people met their spouses.  

Big age gaps were less common, but people regarded it as not their business:

"Ugh, I couldn't fancy an old man like him, but whatever turns you on."

"Blimey, she must be old enough to be his mother but I can see why he fancies her."

It wasn't seen as a sick perversion.

I've always taken the view that if people are of sound mind and consenting age (and they genuinely consent) , it's got fuck all to do with anyone else.  If the young fellow was forced in any way, that's obviously wrong, but we may never know.

Schofield of course is a loathsome piece of shit for cheating on his wife, but that's a matter for them. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Utter bollox. If the female had also been 15 when the originally met and like in this case nothing seemingly happend for another few years it absolutely still would have been a big scandal

He met him first when he was 9.

received_1438880229983160.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

As Toast said in the Presenters thread, his performance seems to reek of narcissism, so let’s have a look at what he said in the Amol Rajan interview and refer to the Narcissist’s Prayer

‘That didn’t happen’ - he lied about it for years.

’And if it did, it wasn’t that bad’ - “Unwise but not illegal relationship” springs immediately to mind.

‘And if it is, that’s not a big deal’ - He says they were mates and it only happened 5 or 6 times.

‘And if it is, that’s not my fault’ - He then says it all came about when the younger man came into his dressing room (euphemism not intended).

‘And if it is, I didn’t mean it’ - Goes on to say about that point in his life coinciding with the biggest inner turmoil regarding his sexuality.

‘And if I did, you deserved it’ - This one can’t really be applied but 5/6 ain’t bad.

What he has done is awful, but I think it’s very much time to put this story to bed, for the good of the young man involved, Schofield’s family and the news in general; Johnson has just stuck a Molotov through the letterbox of Downing Street, let’s hear more about this please BBC.

Yes, I'm looking forward to HG Tudor's examination of that interview.  Although I think you've pre-empted him.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm, for all the emotional turmoil and his daughters saving his life I'm not anticipating a pending cark so much as a rising from the ashes, a new angle (guilt, recovery, presenting one-off stuff with empathy for others in the same shit) and doubtless supermarket tabloid gold the next time he finds love. Aspelesque longevity awaits, IMHO

He's our new Barrymore!

• Haha 1

Cheryl Cole had a baby with someone she coached through a talent show when he was 14. 

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Cheryl Cole had a baby with someone she coached through a talent show when he was 14. 

Liam Payne went on the X Factor when he was 14 as a contestant, he didn’t get through and Cheryl was a judge both times he auditioned (the second time he got through). They started dating when he was huge in One Direction in his 20’s. 

Would it kill you to add context?

Ideas for thread tag lines:

This Mourning

Going Dead

Gordon the Goner 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If Phillip is being truthful in his interviews today I feel a bit sorry for him.He has however proven himself to be a serial liar so it is so difficult to believe him now. 

2 hours ago, Perhaps said:
2 hours ago, Windsor said:

Liam Payne went on the X Factor when he was 14 as a contestant, he didn’t get through and Cheryl was a judge both times he auditioned (the second time he got through). They started dating when he was huge in One Direction in his 20’s. 

Would it kill you to add context?

There seems to be a perception that it's taboo to have a sexual relationship with a person one first met when they were under age.  I can't see why,  if they are of age when the sexual relationship takes place.

My father was 13 years older than my mother, but they were adults when they met.  I have a relative who is also 13 years older than his wife, but she was a child when they met.  I think she was 12 and he was 25.  She was 22 when they married and he was 35 (about the same as my parents). I suppose that would meet with disapproval today.  They have been happily married for over 40 years.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Sean said:

If Phillip is being truthful in his interviews today I feel a bit sorry for him.He has however proven himself to be a serial liar so it is so difficult to believe him now. 

Eamonn Holmes seems to be enjoying this rather too much. He fell out with Anthea Turner (another presenter) I recall calling her Princess Tippy Toes - some sort of euphemism? His wife has never forgiven Schofield for cutting her off by all of about 2 words when she was dloing a link for her upcoming programme. What fragile egos she & hubby Homes (who advertises anything that moves & anything that doesn't) seem to have.

Didn't Celine Dion meet her future husband when she was only 12 or 13? 

1 hour ago, The Watcher said:

Eamonn Holmes seems to be enjoying this rather too much. He fell out with Anthea Turner (another presenter) I recall calling her Princess Tippy Toes - some sort of euphemism?

I once heard that Grant Bovey's wife, who he ditched to go off with Anthea Turner, had been telling people at a party that Anthea was a hermaphrodite.

• Shocked 1

4 hours ago, Toast said:

There seems to be a perception that it's taboo to have a sexual relationship with a person one first met when they were under age.  I can't see why,  if they are of age when the sexual relationship takes place.

My father was 13 years older than my mother, but they were adults when they met.  I have a relative who is also 13 years older than his wife, but she was a child when they met.  I think she was 12 and he was 25.  She was 22 when they married and he was 35 (about the same as my parents). I suppose that would meet with disapproval today.  They have been happily married for over 40 years.

You always chime in when there's a discussion about age-gap relationships or grooming. The biggest thing is context.

Age gaps are common in my bloodline but we seem to start families when we're ancient. A better example would be 2 of my former managers (40M and 22F), who started dating and are still together. They both earned the same salary and had nothing to gain from being with the other person. The bigger problem was that he cheated on his weans' mother. They're perfect for each other and that's not a compliment.

A situation involving a millionaire celebrity and a young person with few connections is not comparable. If you're starting out in the industry and Phillip Schofield could potentially influence your whole career, he could get away with a lot of fuckshit in the name of helping you out. It appears he did, and it was never a level playing field.

Is it not easier to simply pursue someone who you haven't known from a very young age? Same goes for second cousins. It's not illegal but... so many other people to choose from, no?

I think this story is a big overblown distraction though. It's not that serious to people outwith the ITV circle.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Didn't Celine Dion meet her future husband when she was only 12 or 13? 

Yeah he was about 38 and her manager.

Then  even wose there was Bill Wyman who shagged a 13 year old and got away with it.Not forgetting Jerry Lee Lewis who married his very young cousin.

8 hours ago, Windsor said:

Caroline Flack was 33 when she dated a 17 year old Harry Styles also and no one said anything.

• Like 1