Joey Russ

Thoughts On The 2024 List

I really really like this list,

Yoko Ono is the only drop I'm cautious about, I'd probably switch her for Wagner.

I'm glad that this year the top 10 isn't just the ten highest ranking survivors from last years list.

I'm glad they've taken a punt on someone like Walters, even if she isn't a hit in the end.

Lots of forum favourites making their debuts, it feels like they've listened to us for once.

and finally being incredibly drunk last night and opening my phone in a crowded pub to see who was on the list only to be met with Pope Benedict was an absolute fever-dream, when I woke up this morning I had to check I wasn't dreaming.

and finally finally @arghton's joke top 4 had me laughing uncontrollably for a solid five minutes, possibly my favourite thing ever posted here.

• Like 3

Maybe should have gone with Julie Andrews instead of Walters, then you'd have had a Mary Poppins theme team with Dick and Glynis.

• Like 2

My annual look at the new top 50.

·         Jimmy Carter – Hospice care for nearly a year, recently lost his wife and looked like a corpse, probably on most of our DDP teams.

·         Dick Van Dyke – Super healthy 98 year old. Will go one day, not convinced this year.

·         Pete Murray – Looked frail as hell during lockdown. Didn’t do his usual shows in 2023, but is also ancient.

·         Alan Greenspan – Boring economist bedblocker.

·         Pope Francis – In increasing frail health, lots of little things adding up, only has one working lung, and is the most famous man on the planet. Great pick.

·         Ethel Kennedy – Frail and little seen these days. Biden spoke to her on her birthday.

·         Cleo Laine – Reclusive and retired for years.

·         Sandy Gall – Recently published a 400+ page book on Afghanistan, but has recently slimmed down his schedule. Finally retiring or feeling his age?

·         Noam Chomsky – If I can count on Rent a Cynic Chomsky for anything, its to speak out on any given event. Nothing on his birthday? Strange. Nothing for half a year? Worrisome. Nothing about Henry Kissinger dying? This guy must be on his deathbed.

·         Robert Wagner – Seems one of the healthier old guys on the list.

·         Mel Brooks – 98 this year and still working!

·         Dennis Skinner – Quiet since retirement, recent rumours of dementia, though he is seen out and about in his local area.

·         Nigel Starmer Smith – Bedridden since 2022. No life at all, really.

·         James Whale – Is absolutely going to die in a few months, he assures us, just lack in the last four years. Can only keep going for so long though.

·         Glynis Johns – Super frail, super legend, great pick.

·         Stanley Baxter – Significantly quietened down of late, as he is ancient. Feels close to the end, and is 500 years old in Scottish years.

·         Joanne Woodward – Has had end-stage dementia for decade. Recent documentary confirms she sees her family weekly but takes in very little. Can’t have long left.

·         Patricia Routledge – TV legend who is now in a care home and lost her close friend Betty last year. Very DLy.

·         Clint Eastwood – Had to make the list.

·         Derek Draper – Recently suffered a massive HA so could be an absolute gimme for the list.

·         Vanessa Redgrave – Severe lung problems in 2021 have diminished her health and she looked hellish in recent appearances.

·         Desmond Morris – Now lives in Ireland and seemed quite alert for his age in an interview last year.

·         Gene Hackman – Retired A lister, very DLy.

·         Jean Marie Le Pen – Was ill last year and for a moment we thought we could get rid of the guy. But no, he recovered.

·         Denis Law – Was keeping a public profile even with his vascular dementia, but recently, nothing, even when close friends die. Suggests he’s gone downhill quickly.

·         Hans Blix – Just released his memoirs, still gives interviews but is retired in Sweden.

·         Julie Walters – Rumours she is gravely ill seem to just be rumours to my mind?

·         Tom Brokaw – Apparently he’s still got the same cancer from 2014, and looks ghastly of late.

·         Linda Nolan – Her cancer is now in her brain. Surely even she can’t romance away this…

·         Bob Newhart – Looked frail for years and recently lost his wife, a dangerous combo.

·         Louis Farrakhan – Not someone I am very familiar with, but Ulitzer said they should have died years ago. Am assuming that’s a frail health comment!

·         Norman Tebbit – Sean’s cuddly uncle secretly takes in the life essence of everyone else so cannot die. Tebbit’s quietness of late is so unlike Norman Tebbit, however.

·         Willie Nelson – Survived full on covid and lung issues in 2022, because he’s Willie fn Nelson. Will probably die on stage one day.

·         Daniel Barenboim – A classical pianist, this is a classy pick I don’t know much about, but apparently he’s been diagnosed with a severe neurological health issue, had to retire abruptly, and recent news that he had to take life “day by day” didn’t sound promising.

·         Esther Rantzen – That bloody woman. She now has terminal lung cancer, which we’ll hear all about until it ends. Great pick.

·         Roberta Flack – Going into her 2nd year of ALS in her eighties, sadly a top pick.

·         Dick Cheney – Well he has to die one of these days. And he is at the upper limit of life expectancy for a heart transplant. Clutching at straws?

·         Prunella Scales – Physically well, mentally gone, think her longevity is linked to Timothy West. One goes, the other follows rapidly.

·         Robert Duvall – Is still acting, though he is starting to slow down his work load now.

·         Josef Fritzl – Cunt.

·         Brigitte Bardot – Frail French legend with reported health issues in recent times.

·         Raul Castro – Fake Death news recently, last Castro sibling left standing.

·         Imelda Marcos – Had emergency heart surgery last year, could be a shoe in.

·         Ted Turner – Has been suffering from one of the shorter term dementias for five years. Under the radar top pick.

·         Buzz Aldrin – LEG. END. Don’t care if he’s on the DL for ten minutes or ten years, this is where he belongs.

·         Sonny Rollins – How is he still alive?

·         Sly Stone – How is HE still alive? And with his failing lungs, he wont be for much longer.

·         Tom Baker – Sentimental favourite for me, in frail health nowadays.

·         Franz Beckenbauer – One of the GOAT footballers, has a variety of health issues now and also has gone very quiet. Something is up.

·         Joe Bugner – A heavyweight boxer in a care home is DL Cmme manna.

Gut feeling? Great list. Lots of inspired new picks, and frail longtimers. The DL went 17 picks in 2017, and 20 in 2020, I'm calling it now, this year they'll go 24 for 24.

• Like 17

I can feel any of these going this year: definitely a good list.

1. Jimmy Carter
  2. Pete Murray
  3. Alan Greenspan
  4. Ethel Kennedy
  5. Cleo Laine
  6. Noam Chomsky
  7. Dennis Skinner
  8. Nigel Starmer Smith
  9. James Whale
  10. Glynis Johns
  11. Stanley Baxter
  12. Joanne Woodward
  13. Derek Draper
  14. Denis Law
  15. Tom Brokaw
  16. Linda Nolan
  17. Bob Newhart
  18. Louis Farrakhan
  19. Esther Rantzen
  20. Roberta Flack
  21. Prunella Scales
  22. Josef Fritzl
  23. Ted Turner
  24. Sonny Rollins
  25. Sly Stone
  26. Franz Beckenbauer
  27. Joe Bugner

4 hours ago, prussianblue said:

Maybe should have gone with Julie Andrews instead of Walters, then you'd have had a Mary Poppins theme team with Dick and Glynis.

I have all three on my Shadow List this year ;).  Not really expecting all 3 to go this year in general but then again you never know

5 hours ago, prussianblue said:

That's my entire Deaths of the Silver Screen III entry, lol!

Kinda wish Jim Lovell was there instead of Buzz Aldrin. And also wish David Attenborough was there.

Besides that, not a bad list.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Hans Blix: 30%, no reason why he won't do a Jacques Delors on us in 2026, couldn't find a single health issue with this guy.

Here's some info on Blix's health. While he's still giving interviews regularly he got TBE (tick-borne encephalitis) in 2021 and spent two months in ICU/hospital with complications and has had balance issues since. 

• Like 2

So glad they dropped Angie (she could have another decade left in her!). The same could be said about Alan Alda, another great drop.

Playing with fire by omitting Michael Caine, Alain Delon and Jack Nicholson again this year, but they all did look relatively healthy in 2023, so I think we can all agree these three will make 2025- Caine probably closest to death of the three. All three should be on the 2025 DL no doubt with James Earl Jones.

I wonder if the list was written before Jacques Delors died and that’s why only 24 rather than 25 have returned from the previous list as Delors was going to be carried out and was replaced by someone not on the 2023 lisr. 

• Like 3

On 01/01/2024 at 00:06, Grimgrass said:

The drops:

Alan Alda

Yoko Ono

Marianne Faithfull
Angie Dickinson

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Hal Linden

Andy Taylor

Feel like at least one of those will die this year. Yoko Ono and Marianne Faithfull the most likely. 

• Like 3

On 01/01/2024 at 08:12, drol said:

Where is Kissinger?

I believe he has moved in to the same retirement home as Peter Falk

• Like 2

Julie Walters is not a bad addition (feeling she'll go in 2025), but she should be vacating a lower position IMO. She is one of the youngest candidates and we don't actually know if she's still at all ill (that update was in March), and the fact she has just completed filming for Paddington in Peru suggests she has since recovered. Her previous cancer run-ins are enough to give her a spot though.

15 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Julie Walters is not a bad addition (feeling she'll go in 2025), but she should be vacating a lower position IMO. She is one of the youngest candidates and we don't actually know if she's still at all ill (that update was in March), and the fact she has just completed filming for Paddington in Peru suggests she has since recovered. Her previous cancer run-ins are enough to give her a spot though.

It will be interesting to see how much she is in that film and if she does any publicity for it. If she doesn’t do any publicity for it that would be telling. 

2 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Julie Walters is not a bad addition (feeling she'll go in 2025)

So, just to summarise, you think a good pick for DL 2024 is someone you don't think will die in 2024.

On 01/01/2024 at 15:00, msc said:

·         Prunella Scales – Physically well, mentally gone, think her longevity is linked to Timothy West. One goes, the other follows rapidly.

So, running with your suggestion, what likelihood do you think a) Tim goes first and b) Tim goes soon? Seems to be generally in good health (unless I've missed something) and still taking on primary care for Prunella, but surely that stress has got to take a toll eventually too?

10 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

If you want her to vacate a lower position that must mean you want her at a higher position?!

7 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

So, running with your suggestion, what likelihood do you think a) Tim goes first and b) Tim goes soon? Seems to be generally in good health (unless I've missed something) and still taking on primary care for Prunella, but surely that stress has got to take a toll eventually too?

Reminds me of some relatives. One was carer for dementia partner. The carer then died suddenly from a stroke (likely stress related) and the dementia victim went downhill rapidly, died about three weeks later. Even that far gone they knew they'd lost something vital, just not what. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, msc said:

Reminds me of some relatives. One was carer for dementia partner. The carer then died suddenly from a stroke (likely stress related) and the dementia victim went downhill rapidly, died about three weeks later. Even that far gone they knew they'd lost something vital, just not what. 

And Prunella is not as far gone as that. The most recent article on her and Timothy shows still knows who her husband is. 

Just noticed Rupert Murdoch was left off of the list. I feel like he's a pretty deathlisty name. Maybe not the most likely hit, but probably in worse shape than a few of the names this year

• Like 6

Good start.

I think the DL might regret leaving off Sophia Loren though.

Despite what I feel are a few silly misses like Julie Goodyear  I think upon reflection and and a few days alcohol free  this is an excellent list. As I said elsewhere  I think it's possible the committee could have a hit total as high as 28.

The early success with Glynis Johns is a good sign the enema means  business!

Yep it's a good list. You can make the arguement for the likes of Goodyear, Hurd etc... but at the same time there's nobody that's been ridicuously picked in the 50 IMO

• Like 3