Sign in to follow this  

As per Toasties comment on the other thread....

Well, I don't know if there is a long forgotten or obscure thread for these films because I am a lazy bastard for doing searches.

If there is, I'm sure a mod can merge, eh.

If you are of a certain age, you would have grown up with these films, from the Green Cross Code man to the cartoon 'Jo and Petunia' films.

This may sink without a trace, up to you, add, discuss, ignore, or summat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, I'm not of a certain age, but I can contribute.

When I was 4 (in 2006) an extension was built on my primary school because there were hunners of weans. We were shown a POV video of a boy trespassing on a building site. He walked off a plank and was buried alive under rubble. At the end, his empty seat was shown in the classroom and his name was scored off the register. I haven't been able to find the video.

In my first year of secondary, we watched the Cyberbully film. Most famous for a scene where the main character attempts suicide but can't get the cap off her pill bottle. To quote Stalin, "he can't even shoot straight". All of this was set to Breathe Me by Sia.

There's also the infamous Welsh PSA about texting and driving (warning: goofy depiction of a fatal car crash)

• Like 3

Some of these freaked me out as a kid. Don't play with electrical sockets or your hand might explode. School played that one. Itv used to show the iron falling on the kid advert before Thomas the bloody Tank. Some of the drink driving ones. Scarred for life.

There's a Scottish schools version of Apaches, I forget the name, but I can still see the kid being buried alive by slurry. 

• Like 2

On a much lighter note the Scottish Abstinence Society ran a PIF round the schools in 2001ish. Gist was two teenagers shag at a party and the next day at school... Don't want to talk to each other because of the shame. For real. All done super earnestly. It was absolute bollocks.

• Haha 3

I remember this local "beware of thin ice" PSA scaring me quite well:

• Like 5

One of the all-time classics

• Like 7

Unfortunately the Reginald Molehusband one is lost. I've a vague recollection of seeing it when very young.

Speaking of railways, here's one from Russia that I enjoy (I first found it when watching a 'Top 10 Strangest PSAs' video or something like that):

Part of a series roughly translated to "Can't Buy a Brain"- you'll probably find more of these in the recommended videos for your viewing pleasure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arghton said:

I remember this local "beware of thin ice" PSA scaring me quite well:

Looks like a sort of variant of our own Charley Says 

I know the hauntology lads love to go on about 70s PIFs, but for me no PIF has ever been as emotionally fucked up as the "Sunday Lunch" Crimestoppers one from the mid-00s:

• Like 1

The original Reefer Madness film from 1936 is a fun look at the dangers of Mary Juana. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

The original Reefer Madness film from 1936 is a fun look at the dangers of Mary Juana. 

Love this 'movie'. Seeing it in color makes it 10x better. Not sure what they used for all the joints, but the smoke never seems to be the same color.

• Like 1

A classic of the genre, from Australia:

Yesterday I saw a compilation of Florida Brightline train crashes. A shocking number of adults follow the "drive around the boom gates at a level crossing" part.

• Like 3

This was a 1998 advert about looking both ways that I distinctly remember.

I checked the account that video is on. It has a ton of public information films if you want to browse.

• Like 2

Back in the day we had Tufty, narrated by Bernard Cribbins. 

• Like 2

The one where the kid gets eaten by an escalator was always my favourite.  And ‘oh look Joe, he’s waving at us’ off the Coastguard ads is a daily saying in our house.

• Like 2

Apaches

If you've never seen this before, enjoy guessing which of the little shits will be next to meet their maker, and by what means.

On 21/09/2024 at 17:45, ladyfiona said:

This was a 1998 advert about looking both ways that I distinctly remember.

I checked the account that video is on. It has a ton of public information films if you want to browse.

This is the one I remember.

On 22/09/2024 at 15:52, Lard Bazaar said:

The one where the kid gets eaten by an escalator was always my favourite.  And ‘oh look Joe, he’s waving at us’ off the Coastguard ads is a daily saying in our house.

From what I have seen, here and there, they would be Chinese escalators.

On 22/09/2024 at 15:52, Lard Bazaar said:

The one where the kid gets eaten by an escalator was always my favourite.

Seems it can't be found.  There's another gruesome escalator one in the link though (the second one - the first one's a bit tame).

https://unidentifiedweirdtv.co.uk/2020/08/23/the-doll-on-the-escalator-the-elusive-pif/comment-page-1/

On 23/09/2024 at 01:56, Undead In Ohio said:

Jimmy!!!!!

Bernard Cribbins was in this one also 

Because of this when I was wee I called them "Fizzling Stations" :lol:

Jimmy was an idiot, he knew he wasn't supposed to go in but let himself be pussy whipped to death, the message at the end should have been "Don't listen to girls";)

• Haha 2