totenkopf

The Beatles Death Curse

I didn't need a new Beatles song, but I don't think it's that bad. At least it's better than almost everything else on the charts.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2023 at 17:29, ladyfiona said:

Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday and Michelle are about as close as it gets to acceptable Beatles songs imo. That remix just seems a bit odd. Doesn't really fit the song, doesn't really go anywhere; it's crying out for something to set it aside from generic trance. Nice try, though!

• Like 1

On 02/11/2023 at 15:48, ladyfiona said:

Now and Then:

It's at least better than "Free As A Bird" in that it doesn't sound like a fragment from Lennon's dustbin tarted up with ghoulish bits of fake nostalgia. I could imagine it to be an out-take from around 1972.

First Beatles number 1 since The Ballad of John & Yoko in 1969. That's Kate Bush's record down the toilet!

5 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

First Beatles number 1 since The Ballad of John & Yoko in 1969. That's Kate Bush's record down the toilet!

So, just for a laugh - like - someone starts a campaign to put Here in my Heart by Al Martino at #1 this Christmas. 

That was the first ever UK #1

That'll teach those uppity Beatles

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, just for a laugh - like - someone starts a campaign to put Here in my Heart by Al Martino at #1 this Christmas. 

That was the first ever UK #1

That'll teach those uppity Beatles

That thought did cross my mind too!

15 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

That thought did cross my mind too!

To be clear, he never had another UK #1 so that would be a challenge to anyone trying to replicate the feat. Martino went to #1 in the UK in 1952, it'd leave The Beatles needing to hit the top spot in the final years of this century to match it. 

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

To be clear, he never had another UK #1 so that would be a challenge to anyone trying to replicate the feat. Martino went to #1 in the UK in 1952, it'd leave The Beatles needing to hit the top spot in the final years of this century to match it. 

That might well happen!

33 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

That might well happen!

Aye, and Keith Richards might well be around to see it!

• Like 1

There's going to be a massive celebration when Yoko dies. What an evil person she is \ was.

6 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

There's going to be a massive celebration when Yoko dies. What an evil person she is \ was.

I wouldn’t lose sleep. 
I’ll be like oh she’s dead, next. 

6 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

I think there will be a lot commentary comparing her to Meghan, Duchess of Suffolk as there are in some ways quite similar. 

• Like 1

I just want her death to mean that Sean gets control of the estate and then realise that half of it belongs to Julian. When John died Yoko refused to give Julian Lennon the stuff that should have been his. Instead he had to buy it off her or off other people.

• Like 1

In the meantime there is the following news:

https://www.offiziellecharts.de/news/item/1311-beatles-erstmals-seit-54-jahren-wieder-an-spitze-der-single-charts

The article says:

“Now And Then” immediately ascends to the throne of the Official German Charts, determined by GfK Entertainment. It is the pop legends' twelfth number one hit and at the same time their first top position in the singles rankings since "Come Together" in December 1969. This means that Paul McCartney & Co. have the largest spread between two number one hits ever: 54 years. What's more, "Now And Then" achieved the highest-grossing week for an international single in over two years.

The song also jumped from No.42 to No.1 in the UK:

https://www.zeit.de/kultur/musik/2023-11/beatles-single-now-and-then-charts-spitze

The article says:

"Now And Then" is the Beatles' 12th number-one success in Germany and their 18th number-one success in Great Britain. McCartney spoke of “stunning” news. It is a very emotional moment. “This knocks my socks off,” said the now 81-year-old. The Beatles last topped the charts in 1969, in Germany with "Come Together" and in Great Britain with "The Ballad of John and Yoko".

The Beatles kick two stupid rappers from No.1 in Germany and the boring Taylor Swift in the UK. In any case, they have my thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like Yoko :lol:

Well, her art. I would go to the Tate Modern exhibit if I lived there.

29 minutes ago, lilham said:

I like Yoko :lol:

Well, her art. I would go to the Tate Modern exhibit if I lived there.

I also like Yoko, though this story is not one of her finest moments. (Though the news seems to give Saint John Lennon a pass for his own behaviour as if he was a rowdy teen...)

Maryport's book on The Beatles had a fine chapter defending Yoko's legacy and business acumen. I'd recommend it if I could remember the name but the author literally posts on this forum.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, msc said:

I also like Yoko, though this story is not one of her finest moments. (Though the news seems to give Saint John Lennon a pass for his own behaviour as if he was a rowdy teen...)

Maryport's book on The Beatles had a fine chapter defending Yoko's legacy and business acumen. I'd recommend it if I could remember the name but the author literally posts on this forum.

619daXRrUaL._SY466_.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Why isn’t it on kindle when the aliens and Carlisle books are? And why haven’t you written one about deadpooling yet?

Question one would be down largely to the publishers - Gonzo Multimedia, the book was 2016 so they probably should have gone there. 

Deadpooling, good point - I do recall about 15 years back swapping some messages with then admins hereabouts on that subject, though it'd be a difficult sell, and other subjects are easier, especially if you want something that'll double as a book and popular live gig. Showing up to a U3A group on a weekday afternoon and asking how many of them are obitable before launching into a live 45 mins plus questions on the history of dead pooling might not lead to repeat business with the same group.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I think there will be a lot commentary comparing her to Meghan, Duchess of Suffolk as there are in some ways quite similar. 

Your grasp of British geography is about as good as hers I'd imagine...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1