football_fan

Dead Drummers

On 9/14/2017 at 20:29, DevonDeathTrip said:

I'm really sad, but not that surprised to read about the death of Grant Hart.  In my view his musical and songwriting talents were incredibly underrated and I hope history will be kind to him, as he never achieved the recognition he deserved in life.   There aren't that many drummers who sing lead vocals, and Grant Hart was right up there with the best of them.     

Years ago, when I was a teenager getting into grunge,  lots of these bands cited Husker Du as a huge influence on them, so bought their live album on cassette and was blown away.  Eventually I ended up owning all of Husker Du's albums and, to this day, some of them still get played regularly.   As Vinegar Tits points out above, Hart's next project, Nova Mob, were pretty damned good as well, but he never saw much in the way of chart action.  Nova Mob's concept album The Last Days of Pompeii really deserved far more airplay than it actually got, but Hart seemed destined to forever remain in obscurity.

His solo career never took off and he spent years playing in bars for very little money.  There were rumours going around a few years ago that he had HIV, which given the fact he was a promiscuous gay man with a raging heroin habit in the late 80s and early 90s, may have had some substance to them.  Grant Hart never made much money; he lived in his late parents' home until he accidentally set fire to it a few years ago.  But he kept of writing and performing right up to the end, in the face of complete indifference to anyone but his minuscule fan base.  If ever there was a case of life not being fair, Grant Hart probably fits the bill as a prime example.  :rip:

grant_hart.jpg

Oh, and the name of the album that got me hooked?  The Living End.     

I'm not really that big a fan of punk (well except Husker Du, Television, The Fall, Public Image Ltd, Gang of Four, Wire, Joy Division, etc and yes I'm aware some of these are post-punk) when compared with prog rock but I was sad to hear of the death of Grant Hart.

I actually liked Candy Apple Grey the most out of all their albums.

On 09/15/2017 at 14:53, Phantom said:

They were formed in Minnesota. 

A large number of the population have some Scandinavian heritage.

Hence the reason why the "football" team is called the Vikings.

Was inundated yesterday by 8 Minnesotans of a film crew for a food/travel program broadcast there.

See me soon on yer telly phantom.

11 minutes ago, charon said:

Was inundated yesterday by 8 Minnesotans of a film crew for a food/travel program broadcast there.

See me soon on yer telly phantom.

It wasn't for Rick Steve's travel show was it?

Not sure.

Got the name of the producer dame (Amy something) but was too busy smoking and trying not to be on camera.

Will find out...

• Haha 1

On 19/07/2017 at 00:02, FixedBusiness said:

Yes, he is very notable and very prolific. I have him on my longlist. I just looked up some of the notable hits he played on: Eve Of Destruction by Barry McGuire, These Boots Are Made For Walkin' by Nancy Sinatra, multiple Beach Boys songs and more. Good choice for 2017 and if he makes it to 2018 I'd put him on my main 50.

Speaking of Barry Mcguire :birthday:82 today 

4 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Speaking of Barry Mcguire :birthday:82 today 

Happy Birthday Barry Mcguire. Eighty two years deserves some kind of ... 

Chuck Blackwell, a Tulsa Sound icon and drummer who provided the beat for many rock ‘n’ roll greats of the 1960s and ‘70s, died Monday.

He was 77.  Blackwell was inducted into the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame in 2014.

Over his two decades as a full-time musician, the Tulsa native drummed for such acts as Leon Russell, Joe Cocker (on "The Letter"), bluesman Taj Mahal, Little Richard and the Everly Brothers, among countless others, picking up three gold albums along the way.
SC

Pentti ­­Glan, drummer for many artists but best known for his work with Alice Cooper and Lou Reed (he played drums on Welcome To My Nightmare and The Alice Cooper Show by Alice Cooper which have a couple of his greatest hits) has died aged 71. He also played on the soundtrack for The Rose by Bette Midler. An interesting fact about him, he formed a band in 1971 called Bush and later when the British alternative/grunge rock group of the same name were releasing albums, they were forced to release their albums in Canada under the name "Bushx" Bush (the 70s one!) Also toured with Steppenwolf and evolved from the group Mandala. This man was a very accomplished drummer it seems!

Billy 'Stix' Nicks, drummer with Junior Walker & The All-Stars for many years, has died aged 82.

Also performed with other Motown artists, such as Marvin Gaye & The Four Tops.

Edited by time
typo!
  • Like 1

Ben Riley, an American jazz and hard bop drummer who worked with the likes of Thelonious Monk, Alice Coltrane and Woody Herman, has died aged 84.

15 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Wild Cherry drummer Ron Beitle has died. Beitle had reportedly been in a coma since November 18th after experiencing complications following a second surgery. He was 64 years old.

https://fullinbloom.com/ron-beitle-wild-cherry-drummer-dies-play-that-funky-music-white-boy/

According to that link he was influential on coining the phrase "Play That Funky Music White Boy"

So a toehold on immortality, then

Can't see the Last Word editorial team making major adjustments, mind

• Like 1

Buster Stiggs, a New Zealand rock drummer who was a member of The Swingers and later Models, has died aged 63 from the combined effects of multiple myeloma and kidney disease.

Richard Adland, aka Dick Slexia, drummer with The Piranhas, has died in his 50's.

Here he is on TOTP, playing drums with plastic fish.

Note, it's a local newspaper report, so it's light on detail and heavy on advertising.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, time said:

Richard Adland, aka Dick Slexia, drummer with The Piranhas, has died in his 50's.

Here he is on TOTP, playing drums with plastic fish.

Note, it's a local newspaper report, so it's light on detail and heavy on advertising.

FFS second theme team miss in hours! I didn't even know he had cancer.

1982 UK #17 - Zambesi:

They were billed as 'punk rock'?  
Guy Lombardo was more punk rock.
SC

Fuck, I'd forgotten about the Zambezi horror.

• Haha 1

Steve "Grizzly" Nisbett, drummer with Birmingham based Steel Pulse during their fairly successful phase including the Rock Against Racism period, has sadly died aged 69. https://www.facebook.com/SteelPulse/?hc_ref=ARSUoMnQ7oiJvrCX0COxRuiBBdRtWlvaA-4mjhk55M5t7aU1d_0Bv0m2ym7E9VCzG8Y

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Nisbett

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0632611/

UK #35 1978 Prodigal Son:

• Like 2

Went from Steel Pulse to No Pulse

5 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Didn't see this one getting posted, but former Judas Priest drummer, Dave Holland, has died recently.

http://dmme.net/dave-holland-trapeze-judas-priest-fame-dies/

Oh man that's sad. Prefer their current drummer but Dave was really good too. We've lost so many hard rockers lately wtf

3 hours ago, ebless said:

Looks like a hoax. 

Don't think so.

Bit dodgy all round since he was banged up for sexually assaulting a vulnerable young man who came to him for drum lessons. Explains some of the terse obits.