football_fan

Dead Drummers

On 2/20/2017 at 12:28, maryportfuncity said:

The most sampled man in the history of the music industry - so much so that Polygram once had two legal execs employed full-time to do nothing other than track down James Brown samples and ask the samplers for money - that vast majority of the samples were people using Stubblefield's drumming.

James Brown's 'other' drummer Jabo Starks dead at 79.

Various sources reporting that Steve Coy, drummer for Dead Or Alive at the "height" of their chart hits, has died.

Acclaimed rock drummer Ben Graves (MURDERDOLLS, DOPE, PRETTY BOY FLOYD) passed away Wednesday, May 9 after a year-long battle with cancer. He was only 45 years old.

The news of Ben's death was broken on Facebook by his fiancée Lydia, who wrote: 

"Most of you don't know that Ben has been battling cancer for the last 11 months. It was his decision to keep his health very quiet.”

The bastard!

SC

• Sad 1

Every time I see a drummer pegging out at an improbably young age I'm reminded that 71 year old Lee Kerslake semi-retired 11 years ago for health reasons (alcohol and mental demons being a big part of a noxious cocktail of troubles). I've wasted valuable deap pool team selections on the man already. But he's definitely one to keep watching.

th?id=OIP.Kx9p0mpSwSfswArUlq9ujAHaF8&pid

7 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Hmm, I missed this but my DDP pick Jim Gordon was yet again denied parole: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8408395/jim-gordon-drummer-denied-parole-layla-songwriter

Sad that his own family and lawyers opposed his release. 

Amy Schief who manages her father's finances but has no contact with Gordon, also suggested that parole would be premature

No vested interests there then...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

It has been widely reported in social media that Jon Hiseman (drummer of progressive-rock band Colosseum) has passed away.

Here is a report for a few months ago about a "life saving" operation he had: https://www.loudersound.com/news/colosseumjcm-drummer-jon-hiseman-to-undergo-life-saving-brain-surgery

Aye, but he survived Nicky Wire's mum, right? - significant for MMMDP purposes

As of a minute ago Wikipedia thought him a going concern.

He is still alive. They are just jumping the gun.

On 02/06/2018 at 15:26, ObakeFilter said:

It has been widely reported in social media that Jon Hiseman (drummer of progressive-rock band Colosseum) has passed away.

Here is a report from a few months ago about a "life saving" operation he had: https://www.loudersound.com/news/colosseumjcm-drummer-jon-hiseman-to-undergo-life-saving-brain-surgery

Dead now. 

https://www.loudersound.com/news/colosseum-founder-jon-hiseman-dies-aged-73

Elvis Presley's drummer D. J. Fontana has died aged 87. Mentioned by Phantom as a possibility for 2018 if I remember correctly.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

Elvis Presley's drummer D. J. Fontana has died aged 87. Mentioned by Phantom as a possibility for 2018 if I remember correctly.

Sun QO. DDP unique for Prophet. Congrats.

4 hours ago, drol said:

The band that changed the world is now back together.

• Like 3

According to unconfirmed Facebook posts, Nick Knox from the Cramps has died.

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

According to unconfirmed Facebook posts, Nick Knox from the Cramps has died.

That's a name you need to say carefully.

So let me get this straight:  D.J. Fontana and Nick Knox died 48 hours apart?  

A_Date_With_Elvis.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Vinnie Paul, drummer for Pantera and brother of Dimebag Darrell who died in 2004, is dead aged 54.

• Like 1

UK #19 (1994) I'm Broken

My favorite Pantera track. May be their most famous too but I'm not sure of the charting.

They had 3 UK Top 40 hits - Planet Caravan, the aforementioned I'm Broken, and Walk, which sticks in the mind mostly because of ECW.

14 years since Dimebag died? Blimey. I remember exactly where I was when I heard that news, though as I was having lunch with one of his old friends who'd spoken to him only 2 days previously, that's sort of a memory booster. It's a small world.

• Like 1

Drummer for The Railers Tyler Oban has died aged 34.