Jump to content
Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

Recommended Posts

I'm surprised that the voice of Papa, from the An American Tail franchise, is still alive. He's 101.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

I'm surprised that the voice of Papa, from the An American Tail franchise, is still alive. He's 101.

 

Nehemiah Persoff for context. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

 

Nehemiah Persoff for context. 

Yes, thank you. I couldn't remember his name. Or, how to spell it, to be precise. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drol said:

You never know what to expect from a new member...

The way I tried that post to sound non-serious was by this clumsy joke

3 hours ago, arghton said:

I wonder what's his secret to living so long, maybe disappearing from the public for a pretty long time

 

as usually nowadays people born before 1920 who haven't been heard of in a few years or decades, aren't and never have been famous are quite often already rotting in their graves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To my defense, it wouldn't be the first Ethiopian/Somalian monarch to die at about 120... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many former spouses of famous actors still alive but not all are as well-known as others.

Peter Gilmore (1931-2013) who played Captain James Onedin in all 91 episodes of The Onedin Line has all 3 former spouses still sailing serenely above ground. They are Jan Walters (b 1937), Una Stubbs (b 1937) & Anne Stallybrass (b1938). The latter played his wife in the show & they lived in Dartmouth where many of the location scenes were filmed in a house named "Charlotte Rhodes) which was the name of Onedin's ship in the series. Strangely she was killed off in the show in the early years of the series & the second wife was played by Jill Gascoigne who died a few months ago.

John Thaw (1942-2002) (Morse, Mister Tom, Jack Regan etc) has both of his former spouses still alive. They are Sally Alexander (b 1943) & Sheila Hancock (b 1933). 

Jon Pertwee (1919-1996) (Dr Who, Worzel Gummage etc) also has both former wives alive. They are Jean Marsh (b 1936) & Ingeborg Rhoesa (b 1937).

Edited by The Watcher
Typo & additional info added
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was convinced that Match of the Day stalwart Gerald Sinstadt had died but apparently not according to Wikipedia. He's 90 by the way. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

I was convinced that Match of the Day stalwart Gerald Sinstadt had died but apparently not according to Wikipedia. He's 90 by the way. 

Actually meant to put him in the 2021 possibilities thread the other day. Guaranteed QO from the Beeb at the very least

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deathrace said:

I was convinced that Match of the Day stalwart Gerald Sinstadt had died but apparently not according to Wikipedia. He's 90 by the way. 

Cineaste Gerald Sinstadt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/05/2019 at 09:45, maryportfuncity said:

Domingo Samudiio (aka Sam the Sham) lives - was 82 in February: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_the_Sham

 

I was singing Wooly Bully (or Jimmy Bullard as I like to think of it) and thought the same thing - he can't be still going - but he is. Glad I used the search function, before postwhoring anyway.

 

Hopefully the Wolves faithful used it as a chant for Steve Bull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

 

I was singing Wooly Bully (or Jimmy Bullard as I like to think of it) and thought the same thing - he can't be still going - but he is. Glad I used the search function, before postwhoring anyway.

 

Hopefully the Wolves faithful used it as a chant for Steve Bull. 


4/5 of Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs seem to still be alive.

The only one who appears to have passed away is David Martin, the bass player, in 1987 following a heart attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:


4/5 of Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs seem to still be alive.

The only one who appears to have passed away is David Martin, the bass player, in 1987 following a heart attack.

 

Not forgetting Tutankhamun, who kicked the pyramid-shaped bucket in 1325 BC.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/07/2020 at 02:32, Ulitzer95 said:

Seeing as I can't respond in the thread, here's my list from the 2017 possibilities thread of Desert Island Discs survivors.

Updated for Annie Ross and all those who have died since my post in 2016.
 

Desert Island Discs

 

**snip**
 

1966

 

Sara Leighton / b. 1937

Nina, Baroness van Pallandt / b. 1932

Virginia McKenna / b. 1931

Michael Craig / b. 1928

June Ritchie / b. 1941

Katharine Whitehorn / b. 1928

Arnold Wesker / b. 1932 d. 2016

Stephen Bishop / b. 1940

Chay Blyth / b. 1940

John Ridgway / b. 1938

**snip**

 


Journalist and writer Katharine Whitehorn (wiki), dead at 92.

Guardian obit.

No doubt a DDP pick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:


Journalist and writer Katharine Whitehorn (wiki), dead at 92.
Guardian obit.
No doubt a DDP pick.

 

A pick for me a couple of years back before she hit 90.

I knew her from "Cooking In A Bedsitter" which most people had when I was a student. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently working on a class about « hair in The 50-60’s cinema », we mentionned the name of Dominique Wilms who played in « La Môme vert de gris » I didn’t know her but was sure she was dead. Don’t count your chickens before they’re hatched : she is 91 this year. Don’t know if she is famous enough because she is belgian but worth noting it so here is her wiki link https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominique_Wilms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Madonna would have died of oldness by now like other 80s icon George Michaels and Prince

  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, WillyWonka422 said:

I thought Madonna would have died of oldness by now like other 80s icon George Michaels and Prince

 

 

Nah, her health fads will see her into old age but she'll go all Greta Garbo on us (summat that's already underway)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

 

 

Nah, her health fads will see her into old age but she'll go all Greta Garbo on us (summat that's already underway)

I remember reading an article many years ago, some time in the early 1990s I think, that while Michael Jackson likely would not reach old age, Madonna would be like Mae West and still be 'rutting into senility ' . It is an image that has never left me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

I remember reading an article many years ago, some time in the early 1990s I think, that while Michael Jackson likely would not reach old age, Madonna would be like Mae West and still be 'rutting into senility ' . It is an image that has never left me.

 

 

Yeah, though I've always assumed Garbo a better yardstick because Madonna takes herself seriously, not something Mae West was noted for doing. Garbo, sort of, stood off from public life. The one thing that would keep Madonna more in the middle of that is another stunningly good album (for the sake of brevity here let's all agree acting/directing in movies is not exactly her strength). Bowie made a great album at almost 70, Dylan did an amazingly good one a decade older. Dunno if Madonna has that in her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seen elsewhere that the mum of the Everly Brothers, Margaret Everly, is still alive at 101. 2019 article about her here.

 

Surely makes Don Everly the oldest A lister with a living parent. Strangely some genealogy sites claim she died in 1975, but recent local coverage like the above (plus Phil's obits mentioning his mother among his survivors) refutes this.

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2021 at 15:29, maryportfuncity said:

The one thing that would keep Madonna more in the middle of that is another stunningly good album. Dunno if Madonna has that in her. 

 

Admittedly I'm not the most discerning or critical Madonna fan to put it mildly, but I thought 'Madame X' was amazing. For the first time since 'Confessions...' it sounded like she was enthused, like it was something *she* wanted to do, she was following her own path, rather than being dictated to collaborate with current pop stars/producers by the record label. 

 

I'm not sure what the future holds though, other than the forthcoming(?) Madame X Tour DVD and she's currently prepping for a life story biopic or documentary of some kind - I'd love her to make one last album with Patrick Leonard and Stephen Bray, but the injuries she sustained during the Madame X tour will surely have to make her re-evaluate her live shows in the future. While she is in tip-top shape, her body will simply not let her do the things she used to be able to do. Bodily at least, her age is catching up with her and I suspect it came as a real shock to her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vinegar Tits said:

 

Admittedly I'm not the most discerning or critical Madonna fan to put it mildly, but I thought 'Madame X' was amazing. For the first time since 'Confessions...' it sounded like she was enthused, like it was something *she* wanted to do, she was following her own path, rather than being dictated to collaborate with current pop stars/producers by the record label. 

 

I'm not sure what the future holds though, other than the forthcoming(?) Madame X Tour DVD and she's currently prepping for a life story biopic or documentary of some kind - I'd love her to make one last album with Patrick Leonard and Stephen Bray, but the injuries she sustained during the Madame X tour will surely have to make her re-evaluate her live shows in the future. While she is in tip-top shape, her body will simply not let her do the things she used to be able to do. Bodily at least, her age is catching up with her and I suspect it came as a real shock to her.

 

 

Aye, but she's not as daft as Jacko - who allowed himself to be drugged to death in pursuit of that physical perfection on stage. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Seen elsewhere that the mum of the Everly Brothers, Margaret Everly, is still alive at 101. 2019 article about her here.

 

Surely makes Don Everly the oldest A lister with a living parent. Strangely some genealogy sites claim she died in 1975, but recent local coverage like the above (plus Phil's obits mentioning his mother among his survivors) refutes this.

There is an online article quoting her when she was 99 & recalling her sons' careers. The Margaret Everly who died in 1975 is obviously someone with the same name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use