Catherine

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still Alive

2 hours ago, time said:

A reminder via Twitter that Freddie (seems to be the preferred spelling) is still going

Aye, and a website that includes evidence he still retains the services of an agent and is available for video greetings - maybe he should be employed in the latter capacity to promote the next DLCon 

Site: http://www.freddiedavies.com/

• Like 1

Patricia Birch, dancer, choreographer and director, particularly associated with choreographing on the film Grease and directing Grease 2. 93 this year, not a mention on the Forum previously.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2008 at 19:15, maryportfuncity said:

Edward de Bono is still alive, B. 1933. Worth keeping an eye on I reckon cos if anyone could figure a way round death, it'd be him.

On 19/05/2018 at 15:10, maryportfuncity said:

Edward de Bono (highly obitable) is 85 today. Didn't realise he was still around until I saw it mentioned in a paper.

You won't have to get surprised anymore Maryport. Edward de Bono dead.

https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/national/110162/father_of_lateral_thinking_edward_de_bono_has_died#.YMF-bPlKjIV

• Like 3

I laterally had no idea he was still alive.

It's early yet, need more coffee.

• Facepalm 1

Sue Barker's mother is 100 in a few days. 

• Like 1

50s/60s tennis journeyman Torben Ulrich, who once made it to the 4th round of Wimbledon, is still with us aged 92.

Has a more than decent obit chance for someone of his position in the game (world 96th) as his son is Lars Ulrich, Metallica co-founder and drummer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, msc said:

50s/60s tennis journeyman Torben Ulrich, who once made it to the 4th round of Wimbledon, is still with us aged 92.

Has a more than decent obit chance for someone of his position in the game (world 96th) as his son is Lars Ulrich, Metallica co-founder and drummer.

92 is positively youthful for male tennis players. I read somewhere that of all the Wimbledon Male Singles finallists of the past 60 years (which must be about 50-60 people) only three are dead. 

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

92 is positively youthful for male tennis players. I read somewhere that of all the Wimbledon Male Singles finallists of the past 60 years (which must be about 50-60 people) only three are dead. 

Only 5 of the male grandslam winners since 1960 have died, yes. But that's still almost entirely sports men aged under 85.

The fatal 5

Vitas Gerulaitis died aged 40 in a tragic carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty chimney in a house he was a guest in.

Arthur Ashe died of AIDS aged 49 due to a blood transfusion fuckup.

Andres Gimeno died in 2019 aged 82 after being ill for a long time.

Rafael Osuna was killed aged 30 in a plane crash.

Chuck McKinley died aged 45 of brain cancer.

Tennis is meant to add years to your life (there is no cure for accidents or plane crashes) but it's 80s+, so Ullrich is still at the higher end of tennis longevity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Only 5 of the male grandslam winners since 1960 have died, yes. But that's still almost entirely sports men aged under 85.

The fatal 5

Vitas Gerulaitis died aged 40 in a tragic carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty chimney in a house he was a guest in.

Arthur Ashe died of AIDS aged 49 due to a blood transfusion fuckup.

Andres Gimeno died in 2019 aged 82 after being ill for a long time.

Rafael Osuna was killed aged 30 in a plane crash.

Chuck McKinley died aged 45 of brain cancer.

Tennis is meant to add years to your life (there is no cure for accidents or plane crashes) but it's 80s+, so Ullrich is still at the higher end of tennis longevity.

Of those five only Gimeno who lived a long life and McKinley died a natural death therefore I rest my case. 

• Like 1