Harvester Of Souls

David Irving

On his deathbed and not expected to live much longer. 

• Haha 1

That site is heavily biased.

He has been hospitalised two months but now is at home requiring round-the-clock care. Nobody says he is on his deathbed.

1 minute ago, drol said:

That site is heavily biased.

He has been hospitalised two months but now is at home requiring round-the-clock care. Nobody says he is on his deathbed.

Well...

I've had a quick scan of Xmusk, seems to have fallen ill in America some months ago. There's stuff from the family talking about finalising his final works. 

It's looking like a hit for Here's Who You Could Have Won in 2024, I don't see him making 2025.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well...

It's looking like a hit for Here's Who You Could Have Won in 2024, I don't see him making 2025.

That's my oldies team. So here's hoping!

• Like 5

Interesting to note that the film Denial about the libel case lost Tom Wilkinson last year, shortly after Richard Rampton also died.

If Irving does go, keep a close eye on Timothy Spall then!

• Like 1

Is he history? Seems so...

• Like 2

No loss

Just now, Joey Russ said:

No loss

Well, source seems reliable, but obviously I would have expected a family statement by now, or a news report. 

Let's see.

Oh that's a right old shame that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

No loss

Hoffman’s tweet above is accurate. His books on history were some of the best ever written. He let himself down once he tried to revise the image of Hitler and disappeared down a rabbit hole of asking too many questions about the Holocaust. His original books are still excellent reads and give an incredible insight into various periods of history.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, source seems reliable, but obviously I would have expected a family statement by now, or a news report. 

Let's see.

You realise that denying his death is a criminal offence? The punishment is six months sharing a cell with the Creepy one.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

You realise that denying his death is a criminal offence? The punishment is six months sharing a cell with the Creepy one.

Hadn't realised Ricky Gervais was in the jail. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 08/02/2024 at 11:04, YoungWillz said:

Well...

I've had a quick scan of Xmusk, seems to have fallen ill in America some months ago. There's stuff from the family talking about finalising his final works. 

On 08/02/2024 at 11:20, msc said:

That's my oldies team. So here's hoping!

3 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

He's a DDP Unique this year.

We know. ;)

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Let's see.

Wonder if this is a case where the family would rather see him buried before announcing anything (for obvious reasons)

Here's hoping 

2 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

This would make a great plot for the film, Denial 2.

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hoffman’s tweet above is accurate. His books on history were some of the best ever written. He let himself down once he tried to revise the image of Hitler and disappeared down a rabbit hole of asking too many questions about the Holocaust. His original books are still excellent reads and give an incredible insight into various periods of history.

I'm not sure about that.  The Destruction of Dresden (1963) always seemed a pretty myopic account of events to me.  Although lauded at the time of publication, my understanding is that more recently it has been found that Irving based his findings on a forged Nazi document and long interviews with a single witness who had his own agenda when describing what he saw.

I haven't read his other works though.  

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Is he history? Seems so...

Denial.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, polar duck said:

Denial.

Ah well, thought it unlikely after the hours waiting on a confirmation.

Did he deny the holocaust happened at all, or did he just revise the number downwards?

Somebody, for their own ideological reasons, has deliberately misrepresented and manipulated historical evidence. They have distorted the history of the coroner’s role. Mr Irving does not even use a gas oven, his house is furnished with electrical appliances only.

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

Did he deny the holocaust happened at all, or did he just revise the number downwards?

Just so you know, you are going to hell for defending Known Neo-Nazi and Holocaust Denier David Irving.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

I wasn't defending him (obviously) I just can't remember what his argument was (although it seems I also contributed to this thread 18 years ago!)

Edit: from his Wikipedia article he seems to be a massive Fanboy of Hitler, from childhood, rather than specifically interested in the Jewish question (except to argue Hitler had no knowledge of it and other members of Nazi leadership were responsible). His leading role in exposing the 1983 Hitler diaries as fake is also something I wasn't aware of.

• Like 1