Just when you thought the Euro Championships could get no duller:

Home teams out

Hosted by Switzerland and Austria.

We now have the devastating news, there will be no Quim on show.

Scolari's taking the Chelsea job, apparently.

Canadian ex-international Brian Budd has died at 56, but he's probably more well-known for winning the world version of Superstars three times. A Canuck Brian Jacks, then.

Polish player Adam Ledwon has killed himself in Austria while covering Euro 2008 for Polish television.

Former Arsenal, Cardiff and Wales striker Derek Tapscott has died aged 75.

He scored 62 goals in 119 games for the Gooners and 79 in 194 for the Bluebirds - pretty prolific. Also 4 international goals in his 14 games.

Another full-on football crisis:

Cheerleaders' costume dream shattered by high cost

Last updated 10:24, Saturday, 14 June 2008

They had high hopes for lending their support in new, glitzy costumes.

Dismay: Nixon’s Vixens, with Kieran Duncan, need new outfits to cheer on United after having used the old ones for four seasons But the dreams of Carlisle United’s cheerleading troupe Nixon’s Vixens came crashing down when they heard they’d have to pay a lot of amount of money to ship the costumes to the UK from America.

The cheerleaders packed bags, held raffles, had collections and colouring competitions to raise money for their new costumes which cost about £1,500.

They excitedly put their order in – only to be told that it would cost about £600 extra to ship the custom-made costumes to Carlisle.

Cheerleader Jessica Davidson, 21, of Blackwell, near Carlisle, said: “We were devastated to see the shipping cost which completely shattered our dream.

“The squad were crushed after putting in so much hard work. We have tried so hard.

“The costumes we are so desperate for are from an American company. They are blue and white – the real deal – and are custom-made for the team.

“They’re a bit like the ones worn in the American film Bring It On which is about a high school cheerleading squad,” added Jessica.

“We’re just desperate for new kit as the costumes we’ve got have endured four seasons of all types of weather.”

Nixon’s Vixens, who have performed on national television, have built up a real following among the United faithful since they started providing the half-time entertainment at the Warwick Road stadium.

Their star is 12-year-old Caldew School pupil Kieran Duncan, the only male member of the cheerleading squad. He has been dancing since he was one and has appeared on Sky News.

Last season, the squad got a soaking when the sprinklers came on during their routine.

Donations to help can be sent to Mr K Duncan, c/o 12, Rye Close, Blackwell, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2 4SZ.

Nixon's Vixens

There's been more interest in the World Hopping Championships thread (not that I have anything against it, much like Peter Cook) than Euro 2008 around here. It's grown on me, I reluctantly have to confess.

Anyway, my pre-tournament fiver on the Dutch at 14/1 is looking promising, were it not for their traditional ability to bottle it when the chips are down.

Two of the big guys will depart in the quarters, as Germany play Portugal and Spain meet Italy. Croatia v Turkey is an either-way cracker, and Holland should see off either Russia or Sweden.

Oh, and Mono, are your 'Aints so shameless their players have to rob Pompey nightclubs these days?

There's been more interest in the World Hopping Championships thread (not that I have anything against it, much like Peter Cook) than Euro 2008 around here. It's grown on me, I reluctantly have to confess.

Anyway, my pre-tournament fiver on the Dutch at 14/1 is looking promising, were it not for their traditional ability to bottle it when the chips are down.

Two of the big guys will depart in the quarters, as Germany play Portugal and Spain meet Italy. Croatia v Turkey is an either-way cracker, and Holland should see off either Russia or Sweden.

Oh, and Mono, are your 'Aints so shameless their players have to rob Pompey nightclubs these days?

Bit embarassing isn't it.

And what is it with Italians and their horns. I'm sure the pope said you shouldn't play with them. Anyone would have thought they had been liberated after years of oppression. It was the same after the world cup, so it's not just a case of rubbing the Frenchies noses in it (I wasn't in France then).

Anyone got any earplugs they'd care to give me?

It's full time for Shoot magazine

Out of bullets

The end of an era. Next they'll be telling me there's no more Roy of the Rovers.

Out of bullets

The end of an era. Next they'll be telling me there's no more Roy of the Rovers.

Nooooooooooooo

I used to get the magazine as a kid. I loved the team tabs at the start of the year & had them up on my wall. I'd always put the league I wanted, rather than the actual league, so Reading would be top of the old division 1, ahead of Liverpool & Manchester United, rather than at the bottom of division 3 with Halifax! :)

A shame, 'cos I know a lot of youngsters still read it, my younger cousins included. Guess the annuals will be more money now...

Out of bullets

There's no more Roy of the Rovers...

Speaking of timing, this is already out, and it's talking about things that happened - like - less than a month ago. How long does it take to turn a whole book around?

And what is it with Italians and their horns.

Ditto Turks. 12.07 am and still going strong.

Please let both Turkey and Italy be knocked out in their next matches... This should be in 101 I guess.

Dagnamit - there's a Spanish community here too, rather fond of their horns and a hint of a Tannoy public address system.

Edited by Monoclinic

Guest David
And what is it with Italians and their horns.

Ditto Turks. 12.07 am and still going strong.

Please let both Turkey and Italy be knocked out in their next matches... This should be in 101 I guess.

Dagnamit - there's a Spanish community here too, rather fond of their horns and a hint of a Tannoy public address system.

How unfortunate - I've always loved Shoot!

Guest David

Out of bullets

Don't place your bets on Bobby Moncur passing on any time soon - he's just got the all clear. Good on ya, Bobby!

Out of bullets

Don't place your bets on Bobby Moncur passing on any time soon - he's just got the all clear. Good on ya, Bobby!

The way I heard it the doctor said: 'Good news on your cancer......oh, by the way, you're stint in charge at Carlisle, a shocker!'

Luton docked 30 points at the start of the season. Significant to one or two of hereabouts. To me, because Carlisle's record breaking 5 points by Christmas start in League Two is likely to be threatend and significant to those with an interest in Oxford United because, they'll be playing them in a Blue Square fixture in a little over a year.

and significant to those with an interest in Oxford United because, they'll be playing them in a Blue Square fixture in a little over a year.

I doubt it.

If they get relegated, which is likely, and they are STILL in administration, they won't be allowed in the Conference - look at Boston United's situation.

Luton would be relegated to Blue Square South, just two leagues above local rivals Dunstable Town (unless the Blues are promoted this year, then it's just one....).

If the above did happen, it would far overshadow Gretna's amazing fall from grace. As someone who, for some years had Luton as their local team, it's a sad, but not surprising state of affairs. The club, the stadium, the whole infrastructure of the club is a complete shambles. I wouldn't be surprised to see them bust by July 2009.

An interesting (that is to say, interesting for lower league football fans) article about how cash strapped Cambridge United's directors have managed to lose half a million pounds in the space of four days this week.

An interesting (that is to say, interesting for lower league football fans) article about how cash strapped Cambridge United's directors have managed to lose half a million pounds in the space of four days this week.

Excellent - we give Cambridge 350,000 & we then make a profit of £5.15 million. I like that kind of business deal for RFC :)

Very sorry to see Kits go, especially to a side who will be coming down as we go back up, but £5.5m is very good money for a 28 yr old uncapped internationally striker. We can get two, maybe three decent strikers for that.

I did like Kitson's rather refreshing attitude to football & his comments in the media, but we can do without the drink driving element of his life....

Excellent - we give Cambridge 350,000 & we then make a profit of £5.15 million. I like that kind of business deal for RFC :)

Very sorry to see Kits go, especially to a side who will be coming down as we go back up, but £5.5m is very good money for a 28 yr old uncapped internationally striker. We can get two, maybe three decent strikers for that.

I did like Kitson's rather refreshing attitude to football & his comments in the media, but we can do without the drink driving element of his life....

I wouldn't be too sure of that OoO... ;)

someone sent me a text last night

"bin laden sent out a new tv message to prove he was still alive

'leeds were sh*t on tuesday night'

british intelligence have dismissed it saying

'this could've been recorded anytime in the last five years' "

Welling Utd fans responding to Maidstone's keeper as he lets in a soft goal in a 4-0 defeat recently. People can be so cruel.

We'd try it at the Deva, but a/ we never score and b/ we don't have enough fans.

welling.jpg

Welling Utd fans responding to Maidstone's keeper as he lets in a soft goal in a 4-0 defeat recently. People can be so cruel.

We'd try it at the Deva, but a/ we never score and b/ we don't have enough fans.

welling.jpg

Not even enough to call him a nut?