VSBfromH

Disc Jockeys

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Also told George Lazenby there was no future in James Bond films and he should quit the series after one movie.

Should’ve got a knighthood for that alone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Also told George Lazenby there was no future in James Bond films and he should quit the series after one movie.

Saw a while ago on Lazenby's wiki page that John Cleese was keen to cast him as Jesus in The Life of Brian, that would have been one hell of a cameo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

British Club DJ and radio presenter Steve 'Smooth' Sutherland died today.

Can't find any info on his age atm.

• Like 1

A couple of DJs have died sadly.Former Smooth presenter Tom Davies has been found  dead at 54 after going missing https://radiotoday.co.uk/2020/07/former-tfm-and-smooth-ne-presenter-tom-davies-found-dead/ and BBC Radio Wales presenter Chris Needs has died at 68 after what's described as a 'short illness'. He was due to present his show tonight at 10 as usual. https://radiotoday.co.uk/2020/07/tributes-paid-to-bbc-radio-wales-presenter-chris-needs/

4 hours ago, Perhaps said:

"I think it’s safe to say 2020 has been an absolute fuck ball for most of us", she says.

I quite like the sound of a "fuck ball".   Sounds like fun :) 

57 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

What's your favourite balearic track DeathList? 

Isn't everything balearic if you squint hard enough? I'll try for a top 5, but it might be a bit wonky as I've only been to Menorca:

5. German prog bloke - E2-E4/Sueno Latino

4. Either of those two Thrashing Doves tracks. Not the one Thatcher liked, though that rocks too.

3. Woodentops' Why Why Why

2. Beloved - Sun Rising (if allowed) or Sweet Harmony/the other ones (if not)

1. Russ Abbott/Joy Division - Atmosphere

Sadly, it does all remind me of Camden Market on a weekend.

I don't know what balearic is. 

I enjoyed these though - thanks  :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

5. German prog bloke - E2-E4/Sueno Latino

Heh, never thought of that one as balearic dance, but yeah, the 20 minute long guitar part does convey that feeling. The german prog bloke is Manuel Göttsching. Obitable guy - 68 years old now.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I don't know what balearic is. 

I enjoyed these though - thanks  :D

Haha, excellent - I might have known someone'd have done that, there's nothing you can think that ain't been thunk and all that.

Not sure what qualifies as balearic, but since sweet harmony apparently qualifies this particular version with the counterpoint de da da da da over the top I am very fond of. (yes I know that's not official musical notation :P).

Fun fact #354, I liked the original 90's track, but this turned up on the end of an episode of Dalziel and Pascoe of all places (s7 e4 for the cognoscenti) and I thought, that's a bit different and a definite improvement for me. Then had to track down which version it actually was.

Death of former Radio 1 DJ Tony Wyn-Jones, aged 77, being widely reported. Was a presenter from 1968 to 73, though I have no recollection of him, despite Radio 1 being the default listening at home at that time.

Here's a nice quote from the Birmingham Mail, a once proud local news outlet.

He is survived by wife-of-53 years Glenys and their three sons David, Andy and the late Johnathan - along with eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, time said:

Death of former Radio 1 DJ Tony Wyn-Jones, aged 77, being widely reported. Was a presenter from 1968 to 73, though I have no recollection of him, despite Radio 1 being the default listening at home at that time.

Just the two entries on BBC Genome - for the Christmas Day editions of Junior Choice of 1970 and 1971, when they visited hospitals in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Tony Wyn-Jones did the portion from Wales on both occasions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, time said:

Here's a nice quote from the Birmingham Mail, a once proud local news outlet.

Survived by the late Jonathan

0fe7c7d06928bc42b70db5bd2458d0b6.gif

2 hours ago, JQW said:

Just the two entries on BBC Genome - for the Christmas Day editions of Junior Choice of 1970 and 1971, when they visited hospitals in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Tony Wyn-Jones did the portion from Wales on both occasions.

After a bit more digging, it seems he was one of the guest DJs on Radio One Club, a precursor to the Radio One Roadshow. It broadcast from a different location each day using one of Radio One's own presenters and a local club DJ. So not a real Radio One DJ at all!

There's a brief mention of his name here, albeit with a different spelling.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JQW said:

After a bit more digging, it seems he was one of the guest DJs on Radio One Club, a precursor to the Radio One Roadshow. It broadcast from a different location each day using one of Radio One's own presenters and a local club DJ. So not a real Radio One DJ at all!

There's a brief mention of his name here, albeit with a different spelling.

God work JQW.. That explains why I didn't immediately recognise him as a Radio 1 DJ. More of a DJ who appeared on Radio 1. I actually checked that website, but just the 'People' link, not the shows. The different spelling explains why he didn't show up in the search.

• Like 1

Iconic New York artist DJ Spinbad has shockingly died at the young age of 46.

The musician, whose real name was Chris Sullivan, passed away in the city on Tuesday, his friend confirmed.

only spinning he will be doing is in his grave.

SC

• Like 1

i_o, the DJ and producer born Garrett Falls Lockhart, died on Monday, November 23. The news was confirmed in a statement posted to Lockhart’s verified social media accounts. He was 30.

Lockart lived in Washington, D.C. and moved to Los Angeles, where he became a staple of the local electronic music scene. Over the past two years, he released three EPs that comprised an album called 444. In 2019, Lockhart appeared on Grimes’ new song “Violence” from Miss Anthropocene. His first release arrived in 2017. He put out music on deadmau5’s Mau5trap label.

SC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Not technically a DJ, but the BBC Radio 2 presenter Kenneth Alwyn  has died at 95 https://www.kennethalwyn.co.uk/about

He used to do a programme on Radio 2  I  think it was called "Friday night is piss up night" or summat.

On 20/04/2020 at 15:18, Deathray said:

Fucking who?

rip

he got banned

• Facepalm 5