How so many people in the UK think democracy is great, until things don't go their way.

To be fair general elections and local council elections have never been truly democratic so an actually democratic vote is a shock to the system for many.

There is an Isaac Asimov short story where the democratic system has evolved so that one person goes into a booth with a computer and asks him lots of questions and then decides who should be running the country. Probably an early idea on his way to Psychohistory but at the GE I did one of those policy questionaires and found that I was voting closest to my policy beliefs. Isn't it the electorates duty to educate themselves enough to make an informed decision.

That may well be the case in principle. But on the subject of Europe, where was this information? I had a damn good look around, all I found was an interminable supply of polemic from each side. Practically zero in the way of unbiased facts.

http://europa.eu/index_en.htm

That's not exactly what I meant.

Let's play hypotheticals.

Suppose you are unemployed and in, oh I don't know, lets pick a rural area that voted out, hm, Lincolnshire or somewhere like it. What could you do for a job, how much would it pay? Lets pick, for arguments sakes, picking vegetables, after all it's an agricultural area. The question is, are you more likely to be able to find a job doing this with or without immigration as set by the EU? If you can find a job, is the pay less because a lot of lets say Poles are over here living 15 to a room and sending half the money home? Because for them, it's still better than what they could do in Poland?

And if, as the government and everyone bar that slimy creep Farage keeps telling us, immigration is good for us, how does that work?

As this hypothetical would be Lincolnshire vegetable picker, I can see how immigration might be good for the farmer, or for other employers, the labour is more plentiful and thus cheaper. As a prospective worker who wasn't born with a farm or indeed with a family steel mill or car plant of dockyard I fail to see how it's of any benefit to me. Please enlighten me so I can vote to stay.

I'm not saying I subscribe to any of that (or indeed that I don't), and I have not one thing against Poles before anyone starts. But I'll wager it's something that has caused a few votes one way or the other, and whilst I haven't read all of that site (or indeed very much of it to be honest, it's moot now anyway) I suspect it is not a question it answers.

Nor could I find anywhere that did. Maybe that's because I'm hopeless at searching, or maybe it's because there is nothing to find.

It's just an example, an out loud hypothesis if you will.

It's not hypothetical. It's been playing out in the southwestern US border states for 100 years.

One thing that the Leave camp did was blur the borders between Free Movement of People from the European Union, Illegal immigration, the Migrant crisis and immigration from the rest of the world.

This has been evidenced by the verbal and sometimes physical attack on people of Asian origin that have occurred since Friday.

There was also the Shrodingers migrant conundrum Claiming benefits and stealing your job at the same time.

I did wonder (slightly shamefully) that those people who are just a little bit racist if actually given the choice would prefer migration from a still largely white Judeo-Christian European Union or lots of non-white immigrants from Africa, the Middle East and South Asia.

However if anyone had said that during the campaign they would have been howled down.

We have an ageing population which means a smaller workforce to support them. We have already seen an increase in the pensionable age but we need migrants to pick our crops, wait our tables, work in the care sector. There are things that need to be done but Labour talked about these at the last election: Stop companies only advertising jobs overseas, clamp down on employers who are willing to use illegal workers for below the minimum wage.

There was a sad case a couple of years ago where an elderly woman was found dead in her house because she had starved to death, the woman who the agency employed as a carer was actually an illegal immigrant, she would visit on a daily basis to feed and dress the woman, immigration caught up with the carer and deported her but the agency did not actually tell the local authority of the situation (presumably to protect the rest of their contract) and didn't have anyone else to cover the contract and probably didn't realise that the carer was the only person that woman saw on a daily basis.

It wasn't right what the agency was doing but that woman and her family are the victims of a political struggle.

My Father moved into a care home last December it is a lovely home and he is very happy there but the staff are a mixture of races will they still be able to draw on the pool of people to keep fully staffed in the future.

There has been a narrative from employers that the struggle to get British people to do those jobs whilst they have there own agenda there is a little bit of evidence that this is the case but those who are unemployed now might have to realise that they may have to work a lot harder in future, ironically to look after the generation that took them out of the EU.

One thing that the Leave camp did was blur the borders between Free Movement of People from the European Union, Illegal immigration, the Migrant crisis and immigration from the rest of the world.

This has been evidenced by the verbal and sometimes physical attack on people of Asian origin that have occurred since Friday.

There was also the Shrodingers migrant conundrum Claiming benefits and stealing your job at the same time.

I did wonder (slightly shamefully) that those people who are just a little bit racist if actually given the choice would prefer migration from a still largely white Judeo-Christian European Union or lots of non-white immigrants from Africa, the Middle East and South Asia.

However if anyone had said that during the campaign they would have been howled down.

We have an ageing population which means a smaller workforce to support them. We have already seen an increase in the pensionable age but we need migrants to pick our crops, wait our tables, work in the care sector. There are things that need to be done but Labour talked about these at the last election: Stop companies only advertising jobs overseas, clamp down on employers who are willing to use illegal workers for below the minimum wage.

There was a sad case a couple of years ago where an elderly woman was found dead in her house because she had starved to death, the woman who the agency employed as a carer was actually an illegal immigrant, she would visit on a daily basis to feed and dress the woman, immigration caught up with the carer and deported her but the agency did not actually tell the local authority of the situation (presumably to protect the rest of their contract) and didn't have anyone else to cover the contract and probably didn't realise that the carer was the only person that woman saw on a daily basis.

It wasn't right what the agency was doing but that woman and her family are the victims of a political struggle.

My Father moved into a care home last December it is a lovely home and he is very happy there but the staff are a mixture of races will they still be able to draw on the pool of people to keep fully staffed in the future.

There has been a narrative from employers that the struggle to get British people to do those jobs whilst they have there own agenda there is a little bit of evidence that this is the case but those who are unemployed now might have to realise that they may have to work a lot harder in future, ironically to look after the generation that took them out of the EU.

Work harder? 40 hours a week picking vegetables (or care home work or hotels at all hours) on a minimum wage (or illegally, less) on zero guaranteed hours, sounds quite hard enough to me. Add in the fact that this will never, ever, buy you a roof over your head in this country and it's hardly such a stretch that such folk voted for change, any change.

Care home work, Hotel workers, none of this is money for old rope. If it's really the case that such employers cannot afford to pay more, then the cost for those services must go up until they can. Most people staying in a hotel can afford it, else they'd stay home, it's hardly essential for somebody who lives in a house to transplant themselves elsewhere for a holiday when others cannot afford a house no matter how they try.

Tell them they are doing this work to pay the pensions of the people who had the unionised jobs in days gone by that are living in the houses they can never afford themselves and see if that sways them back to voting in.

Anyway, I digress. Perhaps it's naive to expect to find this information published. However expressing shock that people voted out when they couldn't find any evidence of how yet more legal immigration from voting in benefited them is also naive. All of England bar London did so.

Incidentally, I walked past a couple of car sales forecourts yesterday, selling rows upon rows of cars that were north of 100k, second hand. This of course isn't news, but if you have no prospect of affording housing or from your comment in some cases even food as a resident of this nation you have a right in my view to be a bit choked at the status quo.

So in the Tory leadership contest we already have Fox & Hunt. I thought the Labour Government abolished this.

• Like 5

At St Pancras Station £2.19 for a small bottle of juice in WHS.

I didn't buy it. Even though I would have been able to put it on expenses. I went to The Curious Pig next door and got it for £1.50.

I didn't buy it. Even though I would have been able to put it on expenses. I went to The Curious Pig next door and got it for £1.50.

Should've gone to Fortnum and Mason's in St Pancras Station; juice is only £4-50p :lol:

Public or Private sector??

Judging by how often he was flying around Europe the other week and that this has now dried up a bit I'm starting to think he works in the Brexit department.

Judging by how often he was flying around Europe the other week and that this has now dried up a bit I'm starting to think he works in the Brexit department.

Im guessing a Charideeeee

Im guessing a Charideeeee

Wrong it is the Private sector. I work for a Research and Technology organisation. I attend Technical Committee meetings.

Mosquitoes.

I thought i had covered every possible area of myself with deep yesterday, but obviously I left some areas exposed and now have an infection on my left hand.

• Like 2

When one of the fitties you had a crush on in school posts a photo on social media and it turns out they're a double decker bus larger

Because, of course, a person's value lies solely in their appearance.

• Like 2

When one of the fitties you had a crush on in school posts a photo on social media and it turns out they're a double decker bus larger

When you finally pull one of the fitties you had a crush on in school and it turns out they're hung like a Chinese dormouse.

• Like 1

:(

Dormouses need lovin' too lardy.

So you walked 50 odd yards for 70 pence. For something not a beer.

Hope you think on this , a lot.

• Like 1

So you walked 50 odd yards for 70 pence. For something not a beer.

Hope you think on this , a lot.

69 ;)

• Like 1

So in the Tory leadership contest we already have Fox & Hunt. I thought the Labour Government abolished this.

Rather ironically in a reflection of the real life situation Hunt never happened but the Fox still didn't make it.

If Hunt had stood instead of Crabbe you could have made the sentence

Gove May Leadsom Fox Hunt

• Like 3

Never ever lose your effing wallet. Absolute effing nightmare. :banghead::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Never carry a wallet, I say. Problem solved.

I'd have to lose me trousers as well.

2016_07_18_14_03_56.jpg
  • Like 1

Never carry a wallet, I say. Problem solved.

And leave my various cards etc lying around in the pockets to lose as they all fall out.

2016_07_18_14_03_56.jpg

That looks pretty nifty. I'm just going to stick to zip or cover pockets when buying trousers.

The really issue is the lack of bank card means that none of the other cards can be replaced as they all require card payment to do so. Reported to police just in case of the unlikely event someone finds it and hands it in.

2016_07_18_14_03_56.jpg

You on your way to a Staind concert?

• Like 2