CarolAnn

Baseball

12 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Pete Wilk, baseball trainer has died, DDP pick for Banana and scoring with what might/should be the death knell of Yahoo obits:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/news/vermont-lake-monsters-manager-pete-201406903.html

Such a relatively obscure guy going about his business, I didn't even bother to check whether he was DDP-ed.

We've a Nobel Prize winner without an obit, yet Wilk strolls one. :banghead:

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Such a relatively obscure guy going about his business, I didn't even bother to check whether he was DDP-ed.

True - I am convinced now that the solution has to be that those Yahoo local obits shouldn't count next year. So when Yahoo copy/pastes a Hollywood Reporter or Variety obit, they're okay. But when it's, say local station WXCS 5, or any newspaper with a local reference in the title (which would include the LA Times and Chicago newspapers though), it shouldn't count. That's what I will be doing in the Death By Numbers next year.

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh boy, another non-celeb to elude to in my signature

• Haha 1

I'm the guy who had a hit with Andrew Millwall, and even I think this is time for a review of the rules.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 08/09/2023 at 10:43, whoismakoto said:

Probably only less than 50 around left for AAGPBL. Hopefully some more players waiting to be discovered. I'll try to list those who are still living:

22. Toni Palermo

Toni Palermo died last night

Jerry Grote, who played for the New York Mets (1966-1977), LA Dodgers (1977-1978, 1981) and the Kansas City Royals (1981), has died aged 81. Two time All Star in 1968 and 1974, and World Series Champion in 1969.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Jerry Grote, who played for the New York Mets (1966-1977), LA Dodgers (1977-1978, 1981) and the Kansas City Royals (1981), has died aged 81. Two time All Star in 1968 and 1974, and World Series Champion in 1969.

image.png.a817a18a0bba771204106471240a1a4e.png

His 1977 teammate Pat Zachry died days ago.

Fritz Peterson, a pitcher who played more than a decade with three teams combined, mostly with the New York Yankees, between 1966 and 1976, has died. He was 82. Peterson' was infamously known for having traded families with former teammate Mike Kekich in the early 1970s. Both reconstituted marriages ended in divorce. 

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2024/4/12/baseball-niu-hall-of-fame-pitcher-fritz-peterson-passes-away.aspx

image.thumb.jpeg.be11c763cc8b15dba0f8188eb2ba71c5.jpeg

Ken Holtzman, left-handed pitcher notably with Oakland Athletics with whom he won three consecutive World Series Championships, reportedly dead: 

Chicago Cubs, Baltimore Orioles and New York Yankees also.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 04/04/2024 at 05:17, gcreptile said:

True - I am convinced now that the solution has to be that those Yahoo local obits shouldn't count next year. So when Yahoo copy/pastes a Hollywood Reporter or Variety obit, they're okay. But when it's, say local station WXCS 5, or any newspaper with a local reference in the title (which would include the LA Times and Chicago newspapers though), it shouldn't count. That's what I will be doing in the Death By Numbers next year.

Yahoo shouldn’t be accepted at all anyway. If we’re gonna accept Hollywood Reporter, Variety, et al. copy jobs from Yahoo then we really should just accept those as QO sources and do away with Yahoo. 

1 hour ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Baseball Hall of Famer Whitey Herzog, Former Manager of the Cardinals, dead at 92.

For the record.

IMG_3900.jpeg

• Like 1

Rule of three:

On 15/04/2024 at 10:29, YoungWillz said:

Ken Holtzman dead

1 hour ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Whitey Herzog dead

1 hour ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Carl Erskine dead

Hmmm Holtzman definitely the intruder in terms of decrepitude.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

This makes the legendary Sandy Koufax the last Brooklyn Dodger of the 1955 World Series winning team. I believe there are other Dodgers from earlier years but I’ll have to confirm. 

Remaining Dodgers:

Jim Gentile (57)

Fred Kipp (57)

Sandy Koufax (55-57)

Robert Aspromonte (56)

Thomas Brown (44-45, 47-51)

Edited by arrowsmith
  • Like 3

On 15/04/2024 at 17:17, Banana said:

Yahoo shouldn’t be accepted at all anyway. If we’re gonna accept Hollywood Reporter, Variety, et al. copy jobs from Yahoo then we really should just accept those as QO sources and do away with Yahoo. 

I don't think it's particularly fair to have, say, Variety as a standalone QO, because that's a website that covers a specific field of interest.

It's like including Autosport.com or Cricinfo etc.

1 minute ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

No, but this is - UK Yahoo

Yeah, already seen it posted by YW in the DDP24 thread.

On 09/10/2020 at 14:01, Sir Creep said:

When Will We Be Whiteyless?

Now.

(Edit - I’ve been informed Whitey Herzog would object)

We Whiteyless yet?

• Like 2