My son woke up around 3:00am this morning. He was unfortunately in a coughing fit after using his rescue inhaler we just happened to look outside. Snow. Almost a white christmas. All too quickly the rain washed it all away.

My son woke up around 3:00am this morning. He was unfortunately in a coughing fit after using his rescue inhaler we just happened to look outside. Snow. Almost a white christmas. All too quickly the rain washed it all away.

So, snow in Canadialand, floods in England, bush fires in Oz and California.

See? Bears do shit in the woods. :D

• Like 2

A storm system passed through the South a few days ago and killed 8 people in Mississippi, I think. And now there's another on that produced a tornado in Dallas and killed 11.

Do we have any Southerners on these forums other than Sir Creep? How y'all're okay.

So, snow in Canadialand, floods in England, bush fires in Oz and California.

See? Bears do shit in the woods. :D

I live near a ravine, bears shit in my back yard. :)

• Like 1

Are you Americans still in doubt about global warming? We have flowers blooming and butterflies flapping about. The weather is seriously messed up!

Who cares?

If people were bothered they would stop air travel NOW.

As they won't, I'll reserve the right to hound my car in as poor an econimical way as possible and throw loads of wood on the fire.

Wood/coal/peat/oil are all renewable, don't let the fuckers tell you otherwise.

• Like 1

Yeeehaw. Yes trees, they are all renewable, pity the environment isn't. You kind of missed the point I think. We aren't going to be able to fix what we have already broken. It is already to late for us to patch up the atmosphere or get the polar sea ice to grow back. Wood realy is renewable in the sense that you can plant a forrest. Fossils fuels need replacing. Peat takes hundreds of years to form. Coal and oil take millions of years! Thinking in geological eras might stretch your brain a bit, but you did get it wrong. Unless you know how to make crude oil or coal, they ARE gone when you burn them. Renew that you arse hole

Meh, you are thinking short term. Selfish cunt.

And then you have wind farms. 'Harversting' they call it. Taking energy out of the wind.

Now that WILL have an impact in the longer term.

The flooding in Yorkshire looks unbelievable. Having regularly visited York I've seen the Ouse burst it's banks a few times but never that much - certainly never beyond the footpaths to the side of it. The Foss bursting onto Huntingdon Road is unthinkable. Thoughts with all the poor souls who've been let down by the government's inability to maintain flood defences.

The flooding in Yorkshire looks unbelievable. Having regularly visited York I've seen the Ouse burst it's banks a few times but never that much - certainly never beyond the footpaths to the side of it. The Foss bursting onto Huntingdon Road is unthinkable. Thoughts with all the poor souls who've been let down by the government's inability to maintain flood defences.

I saw a few lines from an interview with PM Cameron on the floods. He denied government responsibility or neglect with an ease that made me think: mostly labour voters there, IIRC.

• Like 1

A storm system passed through the South a few days ago and killed 8 people in Mississippi, I think. And now there's another on that produced a tornado in Dallas and killed 11.

Do we have any Southerners on these forums other than Sir Creep? How y'all're okay.

Number of people killed has risen to 43

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35188563

I saw a few lines from an interview with PM Cameron on the floods. He denied government neglect responsibility or neglect with an ease that made me think: mostly labour voters there, IIRC.

Well here is a case in point, Hein lives in a country that doesn't appear to have the kind of flooding we get yearly..........

Those Dutch are clever buggers.

As an aside, global warming may well be a reality, however, whether we are solely to blame for it is the issue.

'Since records began' is wheeled out on a regular basis, its just unfortunate that these records rarely go back more than 500 odd years which completely ignores the possibility that extreme whether patterns may well have been around 1200 years ago, 19,000 years ago etc etc.

Scientists still don't know whats at the bottom of our deepest oceans yet seem to know that global warming is all down to mankind.

So, lets cut fossil fuels, keep cars out of cities and keep breeding so that the planet chokes to death with overpopulation...

Wonderful stuff.

I saw a few lines from an interview with PM Cameron on the floods. He denied government neglect responsibility or neglect with an ease that made me think: mostly labour voters there, IIRC.

Actually York's quite a Conservative voting area. Leeds, where there's an even more substantial case for government culpability votes Labour though.

I do feel very sorry for people that have lost homes and belongings in floods, especially in places where flooding really wouldn't be expected. However, if you bought your house on a flood plain, tough shit, you've only yourself to blame.

Do people really truly honestly think that it matters one shit who is in power? None of them would have done anything different, it's always the same knee jerk reaction - ooo let's buy a few more sandbags, ooo next winter we'll spend a bit more on barriers. I bet my hat that nothing will change in our lifetime - rivers will still burst, homes will still be lost, governments will still persist in allowing housing estates to be built on known flood plains, and dickheads will still buy them.

Ooo we shouldn't be spending money on Syria, we should be building flood barriers. Oh actually, no, we want more schools, and hospitals, oh no wait what about fixing potholes, oh hang on, how about more funding for elderly social care? There is never enough money to go around, no government will EVER get the balance right, so we might as well all just go and drown ourselves in the nearest high street. But don't expect the council to pay for disposal of your corpse, because they've spent all their money on fucking giant plastic poppies to stick on the front of County Hall in November.

Merry Christmas.

NB - I may or may not be hungover, and also may or may not be very bitter and twisted at having to go back to work tomorrow when all around me are off till next Monday, but I guess that's the perils of working for local government. Yes, that's right, I HAVE BECOME WHAT I DESPISE!

• Like 5

I'm not quite sure about the scale of this flooding. No casualties so far, and what amount worth of damage? The Dutch had serious river flooding in 1993 and 1995, which led to considerable government effort in improving barriers. I suppose any politician who would have whined about the cost would have been lynched.

• Like 2

I'm not quite sure about the scale of this flooding. No casualties so far, and what amount worth of damage? The Dutch had serious river flooding in 1993 and 1995, which led to considerable government effort in improving barriers. I suppose any politician who would have whined about the cost would have been lynched.

The scale of flooding is massive and we've been lucky that there's been no deaths. Areas in Cumbria that can take a deluge or to have been flooded three times in a fortnight, compared to the normal once a year frequency of these floods. The Foss river barrier in York is designed to withstand a once in a hundred year flood, similarly the barrier on the river in leeds and the river Ouse. The floodwater should, as has happened in Selby, run onto local farmland - submerging it - to prevent flooding in the city centre and damage to urban areas; I believe farmers are compensated for loss of crops.

I saw a few lines from an interview with PM Cameron on the floods. He denied government responsibility or neglect with an ease that made me think: mostly labour voters there, IIRC.

Well here is a case in point, Hein lives in a country that doesn't appear to have the kind of flooding we get yearly..........

Those Dutch are clever buggers.

A few more remarks: in 1953 a high spring tide and a severe European windstorm over the North Sea combined to overwhelm the sea dikes in Zeeland, Holland and Brabant and flooded 1,365 km² of land and killed almost 2000 Dutch people in an event many Dutch still refer to simply as De Ramp (The Disaster). Part of the cause was neglect of dikes and natural water barriers for economic reasons during several decennia. No politicians were lynched, but the events did put the fear of god in them.

Keeping the water out has been, by law, a government responsibility since 1953. It´s one of the few things all Dutch agree on. Building the Delta Works went to the tune of 10 billion guilders and 30 years, an economic effort comparable in scale to the Apollo program. Efforts to keep river dikes safe were reduced though, for which the bill arrived in 1995; fortunately no lives were lost then.

The scale of flooding is massive and we've been lucky that there's been no deaths. Areas in Cumbria that can take a deluge or to have been flooded three times in a fortnight, compared to the normal once a year frequency of these floods. The Foss river barrier in York is designed to withstand a once in a hundred year flood, similarly the barrier on the river in leeds and the river Ouse. The floodwater should, as has happened in Selby, run onto local farmland - submerging it - to prevent flooding in the city centre and damage to urban areas; I believe farmers are compensated for loss of crops.

Three Dutch rivers cause problems: Rhine, Meuse and Scheldt, and the problems are predictable many days before they cause danger, when rainfall in Switzerland, Germany, France and Belgium causes the rivers to rise. AIUI the situation in the UK is different, with many short rivers which may flood in a short time. IANA civil engineer, but I can imagine that effective measures to curb flooding involves much more money and effort than the Dutch had to spend. That's not an excuse for neglect, of course, but planning for solutions may take some creative thinking.

The picture below sketches a typical Dutch river. It shows the situation in summer (upper drawing) and winter (lower), when the river carries much more water.

Rivierbedding.gif

The flood plains (labeled 'Uiterwaarden') are used for farming and digging up clay for bricks. Notice that the water level in the rivers is higher than the surrounding land.

Permanent buildings in the uiterwaarden are discouraged, and done at the risk of the owner. In 1993 the river Meuse flooded and home owners who had built in its uiterwaarden and whose properties were flooded were laughed at when they complained.

• Like 2

Icestorm passed through Chicagoland. Got a bit of snow too.

I opened the back door of my house in The People's Democratic Republic of Leicester this evening, in order to take out the rubbish and a moth flew into the kitchen.

• Like 1

I opened the back door of my house in The People's Democratic Republic of Leicester this evening, in order to take out the rubbish and a moth flew into the kitchen.

I currently have a fan on me.

I'm not talking about the heat though, just Deathray sending me admiring PMs faintly disguised as "hate mail".

Guest Guest

the neighbours tree blew down overnight and flattened my greenhouse. can i sue him?

I currently have a fan on me.

I'm not talking about the heat though, just Deathray sending me admiring PMs faintly disguised as "hate mail".

I haven't PMed you for ages and it's very definitely hate mail.

Storm Frank has hit. Only wind so far, but really strong, with rain forecast for overnight along with it. *snuggles under blanky*

4.9 earthquake at PST23:40 yesterday. My autistic son freaked right out. He's just heading back to bed now.