post mortem

David Bowie

If Bowie's any indication, 2016 could be a massive year for celebrity deaths, right up there with 1980...

Yep. Many of the "greats" are passing or past 70. I know when discussing out DDP team, me and my sister always have arguments about the so-called 'boomer' pop stars as any of them could drop down dead just like that, so without knowledge of illness they're very difficult to predict. Also, most of my heroes and idols are getting to or beyond that that age. If I'm this upset about someone who I liked just a lot, I don't even want to think what it's going to be like when Debbie Harry, Grace Slick or one of Abba goes.

For my sake I hope Bryan Ferry has a looong life ahead but I've head rumours about his health as well and he turned 70 in September...

• Like 2

...and Tom Verlaine as well!

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Any member of Pink Floyd
  • Roger Taylor (or any member of The Who)
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.

Surely Peter Gabriel is more or less in the same league as Bowie, too. Thoughts?

Surely Peter Gabriel is more or less in the same league as Bowie, too. Thoughts?

He'll do what he's told.

• Like 3

By the way, first verse of the final song of his final abum:

I know something is very wrong

The pulse returns for prodigal sons

The blackout's hearts with flowered news

With skull designs upon my shoes

Now with hindsight, he literally said that he was a walking man with terminal illness and a heart problem.

There were a couple of other hints, especially in the song Lazarus, the final video, which, as we know NOW, was meant to be taken literally, i.e. Bowie is literally on his dying bed.

Well, well.. at Lou Reed's death I said that we're entering now the time when the big ones die away. Our modern celebrity culture began with the Beatles or maybe Elvis Presley. Well... Lennon and Presley died unnatural deaths. George Harrison only slightly premature. But Reed at 70, Lemmy at 70, Bowie at 69... The hits will keep on coming. I know Keith RIchards is a vegan now, and Ozzy Osbourne has some genetic mutation, but what about Jagger, Plant/Page, Townsend and so on and on...

Yes, I said the same thing recently but I was thinking more in terms of the British Invasion bands of the 1960s. It seems we've leaped right over them and into the 1970s!

One wonders what fertilizer is used to keep the Rolling Stones rolling. All but Wood are in their 70's. Hell, former Stone Bill Wyman will be 80(!) next year...

More music stars going on 70 this year;

Patti Smith

Linda Ronstadt

David Gilmour

Barry Gibb

Benny Andersson

Daryl Hall

Rita Marley

Dolly Parton

Cher

Donovan

Naomi Judd (talk about a time capsule...)

Al Greene

Shocking death even though I never liked his music.

I wasn't a massive fan either.

I "third" this vote. That said, I have only listened to the Ziggy Stardust album (it was okay-ish) and the Space Oddity and Heroes singles (neither did anything for me.) Might check out some of his Berlin stuff later this morning and see if I like it. That said, he was really good as Tesla in his cameo role in "The Prestige".

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.

Surviving Bee Gees??! There only one left...

• Like 1

I "third" this vote. That said, I have only listened to the Ziggy Stardust album (it was okay-ish) and the Space Oddity and Heroes singles (neither did anything for me.) Might check out some of his Berlin stuff later this morning and see if I like it. That said, he was really good as Tesla in his cameo role in "The Prestige".

Let's put this through the Beatles filter:

I "third" this vote. That said, I have only listened to the Meet The Beatles album (it was okay-ish) and the Please Please Me and Hey Jude singles (neither did anything for me.) Might check out some of their psychedelic stuff later this morning and see if I like it. That said, Ringo was really good as Peter Sellers' adopted son in "The Magic Christian".

• Like 1

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba

I reckon Vera Lynn will also get a hell of a lot of coverage as would Joni Mitchell .

Kate Bush too I reckon though I hope that's not going to happen for a long time yet.

• Like 4

Let's put this through the Beatles filter:

I "third" this vote. That said, I have only listened to the Meet The Beatles album (it was okay-ish) and the Please Please Me and Hey Jude singles (neither did anything for me.) Might check out some of their psychedelic stuff later this morning and see if I like it. That said, Ringo was really good as Peter Sellers' adopted son in "The Magic Christian".

It just so happens I don't like the Beatles either!

Bloody Australians, they still live in 1950! ;)

• Like 1

... When Rolf Harris ruled the airwaves!

Out of interest, who do you like? What gets Davey Jones (David Bowie's real name!) rocking?

Out of interest, who do you like? What gets Davey Jones (David Bowie's real name!) rocking?

I am more of a jazz, French chanson and world music bloke than a rock guy these days. I am a big Peter Gabriel (solo and Genesis) fan though. At the other end of the spectrum, Cold Chisel are definitely my favourite Aus rock band.

Coincidentally, I was exploring Kraftwerk a bit recently too, which is why I think I might like Bowie's Berlin period if I give it a chance.

I went to a fancy dress party dressed as Aladdin Sane about 20 years and 25 Kg ago. Wore a pair of pants/tights that were so tight I wore my cricket box underneath to hide my religion. Vale David Bowie.

I am more of a jazz, French chanson and world music bloke than a rock guy these days. I am a big Peter Gabriel (solo and Genesis) fan though.

Peter Gabriel, now you're talking. Only recently into him. I have his first four albums (Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel and Peter Gabriel) :)

• Like 1

I am more of a jazz, French chanson and world music bloke than a rock guy these days. I am a big Peter Gabriel (solo and Genesis) fan though.

Peter Gabriel, now you're talking. Only recently into him. I have his first four albums (Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel, Peter Gabriel and Peter Gabriel) :)

There's hope for you yet! Be sure to check out his orchestral stuff: New Blood and Live Blood. They do indeed inject new blood into his back catalogue of songs!

Guest Guest

if only DB had made his cancer public he would have been the biggest first hit in deathlist history . he might not have cheated death but he cheated death list !

He also has a link to increasingly popular deadpool pick Chrsitiane F as he made a cameo appearence and composed the soundtrack to the film based on her life.

For whatever it's worth, I liked Bowie well enough. his Space Oddity is just called"Major Tom" often as not, and is quite popular still having been covered repeatedly by various. I do recall a "Ziggy Stardust" special on television some years ago which was rather bizarre to say the least.

Let's look at his duets. Possibilities?

- Mick Jagger (Dancing in the street)

- Tina Turner (Tonight)

- Kate Bush (Absolute beginners)

- Pet Shop Boys (Hello spaceboy)

- Mott the Hoople (All the young dudes)

- Queen (Underpressure)

He did more duets like with Annie Lennox or Lenny Kravitz but the above mentioned songs were releases.

Let's look at his duets. Possibilities?

- Mick Jagger (Dancing in the street)

- Tina Turner (Tonight)

- Kate Bush (Absolute beginners)

- Pet Shop Boys (Hello spaceboy)

- Mott the Hoople (All the young dudes)

- Queen (Underpressure)

He did more duets like with Annie Lennox or Lenny Kravitz but the above mentioned songs were releases.

Apparently he did a duet with Bing Crosby, who died 5 weeks later!

By the way, the exhibition which premiered at London's V&A museum is touring in Europe. Currently in the Dutch city of Groningen, 40 miles from where I live

Wow. This really bites. Saturday I was watching th episode of "Flight of The Conchords" where Brett is visited by David Bowie is his dreams. Yesterday, I was out shopping and on a whim decided to get the new album. Then this morning I wake up to "Music Legend David Bowie dies".

*snip*

Phantom, just for my theme team, could you go out and buy this album please?

4116KKBW01L.jpg

Yeh and while you're at it, anything by Daniel Bedingfield, Shania Twain or Anthea Turner.

Wow this must be an old thread. I didn't know David Bowie died in 2002