post mortem

David Bowie

Been thinking... who would be the biggest musical death of each decade?

I would say:

1950s - Buddy Holly

1960s - ?

1970s - Elvis Presley

1980s - John Lennon

1990s - Frank Sinatra (no, not Kurt Cobain)

2000s - Michael Jackson

2010s - David Bowie

Anyone want to disagree with that? Can't think who the biggest musical death of the 60s would be, either. There's no one clear standout figure.

Noone seems to have mentioned Freddie Mercury for the 1990s.

Trumps Cobain for talent and Sinatra for relevance.

• Like 1

Has anyone committed suicide over Bowie, or do people not do that kind of thing anymore?

There was one in Japan. I can't paste the link properly on my phone, but if you want to do a search or I can add the link tomorrow while at work

David Bowie fan attempts suicide after his idol’s death

'Dutching' trbute,

Has anyone committed suicide over Bowie, or do people not do that kind of thing anymore?

There was one in Japan. I can't paste the link properly on my phone, but if you want to do a search or I can add the link tomorrow while at work

Poor sod, even failed at being at utter loser.

Poor sod, even failed at being at utter loser.

Or he was an absolute beginner when it comes to suicide attempts

• Like 1

Following the petition to name an element after Lemmy, there's now one to name a star after David Bowie

https://www.change.org/p/international-astronomical-union-name-the-next-star-discovered-after-david-bowie

There's a few more on there, including 'Feature David Bowie on the new £20 note', 'Rename the planet Mars after David Bowie',

and my favourite, 'Petition to God: Say no to David Bowie dead.'

• Like 2

Guest R.I.P. Mr. Bowie

Been thinking... who would be the biggest musical death of each decade?

I would say:

1950s - Buddy Holly

1960s - ?

1970s - Elvis Presley

1980s - John Lennon

1990s - Frank Sinatra (no, not Kurt Cobain)

2000s - Michael Jackson

2010s - David Bowie

Anyone want to disagree with that? Can't think who the biggest musical death of the 60s would be, either. There's no one clear standout figure.

1960s: That is a hard one. With the death of The Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein, the entire course of their musical careers changed. Other thoughts: Folk Music ledgend: Woodie Guthrie. 50s teen star Frankie Lymon (Why do fools fall in love?). Johnny Horton: North to Alaska. Or the late, great Sam Cooke.

my favourite, 'Petition to God: Say no to David Bowie dead.'

I rather like 'Name the entire universe after David Bowie myself' too. As Mike Thomas of Streatley says, it's the sensible option.

• Like 2

my favourite, 'Petition to God: Say no to David Bowie dead.'

I rather like 'Name the entire universe after David Bowie myself' too. As Mike Thomas of Streatley says, it's the sensible option.

I like it. I've also signed the one asking for something on Mars to be named after him.

The late musician David Bowie had a huge impact on popular culture by adopting the persona of a Martian in his classic space rock opera of 1972, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and with his earlier song, Life on Mars?.

More than any other figure in popular culture, Bowie made the idea of references to other worlds seem a normal, unremarkable component of our culture. Specifically, in his music, there are many allusions and explicit references to Mars. In so doing, David Bowie's service to the cause of planetary sciences, by normalizing outer space and Mars as everyday elements of popular culture, is very great indeed.

We ask the International Astronomical Union (IAU) to name a major landscape feature on Mars in honor of David Bowie. We ask the Planetary Society to assist us in this effort.

• Like 1

Quick David Bowie trivia:

Where will Bowie be buried?

Answer: Nowhere

SC

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/david-bowie-didn-funerals-quietly-cremated-article-1.2496240

Told ya. ;)

I'm a bit suspicious about this alleged death. I mean, Lazarus ... hmmm. Could it be that Mr Bowie has just, you know, gone home ? Like Elvis ;)

I wonder if it's too soon to put my idea forward to the Lamb Marketing Board. I had a dream a while back that I can only remember the 2nd half off.

I think the first part shows how tasty lamb is, and the different meals you could make from it, then the final scene has a flock of sheep heading back to their barn and you hear them bleating "We could be gyros, just for one day" to the tune of David Bowie's "Heroes"

The selfish git's already been cremated in New York.. must say that was bloody quick !

'Ashes to ashes' it is. :flame2:

Not even Bowies family were given the chance to attend. Charming.

Mike Garson, Bowie's veteran piano man, recalls how a psychic told Bowie with certainty that he's going to die around age 69/70:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/jan/14/david-bowie-mike-garson-pianist-interview

I'm once again listening to the new album. Terrific. Well, at least now my all-time favourite celebrity is dead for a while and the pain is slowly receding.

"Ashes to Ashes" to be no.1 again. Campaign starts here.

Will this do?

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35326988

11) The Best Of 1969 / 1974

59) The Best Of - 1980 / 1987

Don't know where the middle one is?

My old vinyl and cassette tapes having long since fallen by the wayside, I picked these up a few years ago in HMV as a three-disc set called The Platinum Collection for about a fiver. What a bargain. It's an excellent compilation with about 60 tracks.

• Like 1

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Any member of Pink Floyd
  • Roger Taylor (or any member of The Who)
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.
Any one member of U2.

Dutch photographer Govert de Roos was about to reveal a photograph with some fanfare. This picture was taken 40 years ago during a consert in the Netherlands but the negative remained undeveloped, until it was found recently. However, the death of Bowie made him cancel those plans so he published it on his Facebook page. And to be frank and honest; that's a fucking great picture.

Bowie+David+760513-+%C2%A9+Govert+de+Roo

• Like 1

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.
Any one member of U2.

Bono, edge and er......

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
Any one member of U2.

Bono, edge and er......

Alice Cooper, Janet Jackson, Dolly Parton, Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin, Steven Tyler, Eric Clapton, Grace Jones, Cher, Cyndi Lauper, George Michael, Morrissey...to name few

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
Any one member of U2.

Bono, edge and er......

Alice Cooper, Janet Jackson, Dolly Parton, Rod Stewart, Aretha Franklin, Steven Tyler, Eric Clapton, Grace Jones, Cher, Cyndi Lauper, George Michael, Morrissey...to name few

Oh come on, Dolly Parton was never in U2.

• Like 5

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
Any one member of U2.

Bono, edge and er......

sure she was, she used to be bono's brother

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
Any one member of U2.

Bono, edge and er......

sure she was, she used to be bono's brother

I almost blew milk out me nose.

Cyndi Lauper?!?

I promise no one will give two fucking shits when Cyndi Lauper dies. Jesus....to think you listed her in the same breath as Aretha Franklin! The nerve! And Grace Jones....it's all I can do to remember she once had an album in my collection? Are you nuts? She's no fucking national treasure or music/fashion trailblazer that will cause ANYONE to stop and remember where they were when they heard the awful news about Grace goddamn Jones. Throw Janet Jackson or any Jackson in that boat too--the important one has already croaked. Steven Tyler as well. In fact your whole list save Stewart/Franklin.

Everyone in the music industry didn't rise to Bowie status. Some of you people's suggestions kill me. Like you don't know or realize the difference. I hope your posts were alcohol-driven for your own embarrassment.

SC

• Like 2