post mortem

David Bowie

"I never did anything out of the blue".

David Bowie (1947-2016).

:rip:

• Like 2

Sad news. The word legend seems so overused these days, especially since we'd have folk going "Russell Howard, what a legend" or whatever rubbish modern celebrity no one will remember in a decade you can name, but Bowie was, is, and transcends legendary status. RIP

• Like 1

How about a poll on what type of cancer it was.

Possible: bowel, lung

Unlikely: pancreatic, brain, throat

I have a gut feeling he had stomach Cancer.

Most likely lung cancer via passive smoking exposure whilst singing his utmost in gigs and clubs.

12523159_10154479490677589_3945813445863
  • Like 8

We have lost a legend, really shocked, didn't think he was going anywhere any time soon, just shows none of us last forever unless your name is Zsa Zsa Gabor.

How about a poll on what type of cancer it was.

Possible: bowel, lung

Unlikely: pancreatic, brain, throat

I have a gut feeling he had stomach Cancer.

Most likely lung cancer via passive smoking exposure whilst singing his utmost in gigs and clubs.

I think he partook in slightly more cancer-causing activities over the years than Roy Frigging Castle

• Like 4

Wow. This really bites. Saturday I was watching th episode of "Flight of The Conchords" where Brett is visited by David Bowie is his dreams. Yesterday, I was out shopping and on a whim decided to get the new album. Then this morning I wake up to "Music Legend David Bowie dies".

I reemmber when I worked at an internet provider. David Bowie had decided to launch his own internet service called Bowienet. Which claimed provided users with a faster connection than many competitors were offering at the time, In reality it was being run off the backbone of Global Internet (an independent internet provider owned by former PC World founder Jan Murray) and unless you had a high speed modem, you would have got the same speed as everyone else. We used to have Bowie's manager calling us up at various times to the customer services or tech support desk to make sure people were pronouncing Bowie correctly. I think I might still have my CD somewhere from the launch of Bowienet.

Farewell Starman.

Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing we can do

crying.gif

Wow. This really bites. Saturday I was watching th episode of "Flight of The Conchords" where Brett is visited by David Bowie is his dreams. Yesterday, I was out shopping and on a whim decided to get the new album. Then this morning I wake up to "Music Legend David Bowie dies".

*snip*

Phantom, just for my theme team, could you go out and buy this album please?

4116KKBW01L.jpg

• Like 2

And that reminds me that Iggy Pop surely doesn't have much time left. 68 now, so maybe 1-2 years?

Touring well into 2016 and judging by the recent Paco Rabanne photos with the divine Debbie Harry, in absolute fine fettle. His heavy days of this and that are well behind him; he could live for aeons yet and I've certainly not heard of any ill health.

Whenever anyone "disappears" (retirement, illness, unexplained reasons), I am far less surprised when news of their death is announced than otherwise. This is why I was so shocked at the death of Lemmy - played Berlin on 11th December, 17 days later - dead. I'm more shocked by Bowie's death perhaps because "Blackstar" was released only a couple of days ago than I would otherwise have been. Still shocked though.

Obviously, once someone hit the age(s) of late 60s/70s it's natural that they don't have as long left as they've had before them. However, Iggy is still very much in the publicity arena, David Bowie wasn't. And it's not uncommon for people to die once they are approaching or hit 70 (unfortunately for most of my heroes these days). I think the only person of a similar age - in fact considerably older - we could lament "Oooh, they died so young" would be Yoko Ono. ;-)

*snip*

4116KKBW01L.jpg

Are you thinking I'll do a clean sweep of them?

• Like 1

*snip*

4116KKBW01L.jpg

Having checked the listing, I'd get only five hits I think, surprisingly - Jon Anderson, Bryan Ferry, Bruce Foxton, Peter Gabriel and Chris "Merrick" Hughes. But that's 5 more than I got last year or even expect this year!

*snip*

4116KKBW01L.jpg

Having checked the listing, I'd get only five hits I think, surprisingly - Jon Anderson, Bryan Ferry, Bruce Foxton, Peter Gabriel and Chris "Merrick" Hughes. But that's 5 more than I got last year or even expect this year!

But I don't want any of them to die.

Fuck! it's bad enough that I got Motorhead's last album for Christmas and then Lemmy drops dead a few days later. I still haven't played it yet.

*snip*

4116KKBW01L.jpg

Yeh and while you're at it, anything by Daniel Bedingfield, Shania Twain or Anthea Turner.

• Like 1

*snip*

4116KKBW01L.jpg

Fuck! it's bad enough that I got Motorhead's last album for Christmas and then Lemmy drops dead a few days later. I still haven't played it yet.

Please do not buy any Ozzy Osbourne albums any time soon then.

The third celebrity death I have actually shed tears for. First being Robin Williams, second only a couple of weeks ago with Lemmy and now Bowie. Awful news.

*snip*

4116KKBW01L.jpg

Yeh and while you're at it, anything by Daniel Bedingfield, Shania Twain or Anthea Turner.

No, no no, it doesn't work like that. I get a shedload of albums on a monthly basis.

It rarely happens, in fact the last time anything like that happened was in December 2000 when for a joke I bought my dad an album by Allan "The Singing Postman" Smethurst. My dad took it in to play at work, and that morning it was announced on the radio that Smethurst passed away a couple of days before.

He's got a new DVD coming out next week.

If I'd seen this photo before, I might not have been so surprised.

91FcFLmGpwL._SL1500_.jpg

“If you're sad today, just remember the world is over 4 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie." – Simon Pegg

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia its liver cancer that got him.

Shocking death even though I never liked his music.

No. The death itself isn't shocking, it's more people are shocked by the event. There's a difference..

And why am I not surprised you don't/didn't like Bowie's music? rock.gif Don't worry, we'll all hold a minute of silence for your loss when Bieber dies.

I don't like biebers music but whatever.

The reason I didn't include him on this year's list is that I heard that when he got his terminal diagnosis his doctor told him "5 years, that's all you've got"

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia its liver cancer that got him.

Hmm, indeed, if I had to guess, I'd say the rumours back in 2010 were right and he had it before. Then, when it returned, it was terminal and so he made this last album as a final statement, full of allusions to death. The liver can still work at 10% functionality, wasn't it? So it makes sense that he could keep going for quite a while with cancer, and then basically collapsed within a couple of days as the liver function abruptly stopped.

They say he had already collapsed at the premiere of his Lazarus video. And the director of the video Ivo van Hove said that "I knew that it was the last time I'd seen Bowie alive".

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2016/01/shock-and-condolences-as-netherlands-reacts-to-david-bowies-death

*snip*

4116KKBW01L.jpg

Could you buy whatever shit the rolling stones are flogging now as it's about time Kieth Richards carked it.

Am I only one who finds the sudden sycophantic reaction of the media disturbing. Personally think there should be laws that news organisations. There's something uneasily like wallowing/celebrating in his death to the BBC's current coverage. The last time I can remember anything like this was Michael Jacksons death.