post mortem

David Bowie

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Paul McCartney
  • Bob Dylan
  • Madonna
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba

Edited your list to people who would be in anyway as big a death as Bowie, and I'd say McCartney and Madonna are probably the only ones who encompass as big a musical *and* cultural space. (I've left Abba in for personal reasons, and I'd possibly add Debbie Harry to that list). But, of course, even if it's out of mode for here, death isn't a pissing contest.

• Like 3

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Paul McCartney
  • Bob Dylan
  • Madonna
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba

Edited your list to people who would be in anyway as big a death as Bowie, and I'd say McCartney and Madonna are probably the only ones who encompass as big a musical *and* cultural space. (I've left Abba in for personal reasons, and I'd possibly add Debbie Harry to that list). But, of course, even if it's out of mode for here, death isn't a pissing list.

How could you take out Lars Ulrich!!

Also, sorry if already posted but someone "fucked up" on the radio (or just got wishful)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/633557/David-Bowie-Heart-FM-newsreader-video-audio-David-Cameron-dead-Prime-Minister

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Any member of Pink Floyd
  • Roger Taylor (or any member of The Who)
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Paul McCartney
  • Bob Dylan
  • Madonna
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba

Edited your list to people who would be in anyway as big a death as Bowie, and I'd say McCartney and Madonna are probably the only ones who encompass as big a musical *and* cultural space. (I've left Abba in for personal reasons, and I'd possibly add Debbie Harry to that list). But, of course, even if it's out of mode for here, death isn't a pissing list.

How could you take out Lars Ulrich!!

It's easy, you just remove his name from the list.

One of the main Berlin newspapers just reposted their 2002 interview of Bowie about his Berlin days. He talked about wanting to meet Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream again. Froese, of course, died last year aged 70. And that reminds me that Iggy Pop surely doesn't have much time left. 68 now, so maybe 1-2 years?

I thought about him, Iggy has been extremely quiet thus far. To be fair it's a good friend, so maybe time is needed.

​We also lost Steve Strange last year, in reference to the Ashes to Ashes song/video.

You're certainly on to something, gcreptile...

​Chris Squire was 67 I believe. Froese as stated 68. Lemmy 70; Steve Mackay (Stooges sax player) 66; Gary Richrath almost 66; Lynn Anderson 67; Errol Brown 71; Jack Eli 71; Ron Ford 67; Jimmy Greenspoon 67; Lesley Gore 68; Wendell Holmes 71; Andrea Crouch 72; Ortheia Barnes-Kennerly 70; Chris Rainbow 68; Dieter Moebius 71; Cilla Black 72; PF Sloan 70; Cynthia Robinson 71; Stevei Wright 68; even Percy Sledge and William Guest (74 each) didn't escape too far from 70. Even a few others I didn't list like U2s road manager (68) and a few lesser known/studio musicians.

Maybe it's life on the road wears you down?

Last year was bad, this year may be worse.

SC

Lou Reed and Jack Bruce were 71 too.

• Like 1

Undoubtedly the biggest death of 2016 so far, and it's going to be hard to beat.

I had no idea he had cancer. Family must have kept rather quiet about it.

If Bowie's any indication, 2016 could be a massive year for celebrity deaths, right up there with 1980...

• Like 3

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Any member of Pink Floyd
  • Roger Taylor (or any member of The Who)
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.
oh, you have pink Floyd you still don't have rod Stewart or James Taylor.

Lou Reed and Jack Bruce were 71 too.

2015 was my focus. Johnny Winter 70 2014.

I thought about him, Iggy has been extremely quiet thus far. To be fair it's a good friend, so maybe time is needed.

Not at all.

MESSAGE FROM IGGY: "David’s friendship was the light of my life. I never met such a brilliant person. He was the best there is. - Iggy Pop"
16,916 retweets
19,916 likes

• Like 1

If Bowie's any indication, 2016 could be a massive year for celebrity deaths, right up there with 1980...

2003 and 2012 were pretty bad too.

If it was liver cancer....

Got some experience with that around here, stemming from addiction and hepatitis (which also go hand in hand). If you indulge in extracurricular substances and/or manage to get hepatitis B or C, you will stress your liver and you vastly increase your chances of hepatocellular carcinoma (the most common form of liver cancer). Most of the people around here who died of liver cancer started with some combination of cirrhosis, fatty liver, or hepatitis stemming from drug or alcohol abuse, or got hepatitis sexually.

From my admittedly anecdotal observational experience, liver cancer is a two or three wave illness. I don't know if that's due to the liver's ability to regenerate, but it seems that there is a diagnosis, possibly surgery, ablations with heat and cold (and believe it or not, pure alcohol), chemo and radiation, and then remission. When it comes back, and it always does, it's like a semi-truck. As the liver fails, there are medications such as antibiotics and lactulose that can help bind toxins from being digested and alter the gut flora to reduce the production of ammonia. Pain medications and coagulants allow the patient to function for a while - possibly not at peak efficiency, but well enough. As time goes by (and the time varies by individual) cognitive impairment, seizures, and severe jaundice may occur. The body stops accepting food in some cases.

I've seen patients be up and talking at extraordinarily low liver function levels and unconscious at higher function levels. To a point, it seems to have less to do with the liver's level of function and more to do with the individual's body's ability to deal with the toxins in the blood that are building up in the tissues and the brain.

The one saving grace I have seen is that with the proper medication management the patient can function for quite a while and then the body fails all at once. At that point death is usually quick. Hospice doctors around here seem to be very good with managing the pain and keeping dying patients comfortable. No cancer is a pretty death. Once metastasized, the body's defenses are quickly ground down, and the damaged and failing liver can't weather the attack.

OK - CarolAnn's School of Anecdotal Experience is dismissed.

Whoops. Thought I was signed in. When I realized I wasn't I also realized I didn't care. Damn bunny looked funny when I put the picture together, though.

Edited by Magere Hein
Posts merged and reassigned to CarolAnn
  • Like 2

I've just released he called his last album Lazarus, he knew didn't he?

It's called Blackstar.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that his death has caused Diana levels of hysteria but according to witnesses, some woman went off her head and hit some tiny children. If the black hadn't have pulled her off, they think she might of killed them...

Edited by themaninblack

I wouldn't say that his death has caused Diana levels of hysteria but according to witnesses, some woman went off her head and hit some tiny children. If the black hadn't have pulled off, they think she might of killed them...

She got distracted by the sight of a former Telegraph owner having a wank? Bit of an odd way to save the day but fair enough

Funny to think that Iggy Pop, who many thought wouldn't live beyond 1975, should outlive his old muckers Lou Reed and David Bowie. Such is life...

tumblr_mwcueepHEV1s6wv0bo1_500.jpg

TMIB , that pic is ringing bells...

Did the boy in the background die in the last few years ?

Or am I just thinking on Lou ?

Chap in the background is Tony DeFries, Bowie's old manager and still very much alive.

Bloke on the T-shirt's dead an' all!

• Like 1

Yep. Many of the "greats" are passing or past 70. I know when discussing out DDP team, me and my sister always have arguments about the so-called 'boomer' pop stars as any of them could drop down dead just like that, so without knowledge of illness they're very difficult to predict. Also, most of my heroes and idols are getting to or beyond that that age. If I'm this upset about someone who I liked just a lot, I don't even want to think what it's going to be like when Debbie Harry, Grace Slick or one of Abba goes.

• Like 4

His biographer says that he had six heart attacks in recent years:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-bowie-dead-rock-legend-7156795

However, she also believes that he died on monday on purpose.

You can die on purpose?

Yeah, I guess it stretches credibility, though I wouldn't rule out the effects of willpower to hasten or delay one's death by a day or two.

• Like 1

His biographer says that he had six heart attacks in recent years:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-bowie-dead-rock-legend-7156795

However, she also believes that he died on monday on purpose.

You can die on purpose?

Yeah, I guess it stretches credibility, though I wouldn't rule out the effects of willpower to hasten or delay one's death by a day or two.

The only realistic method I can think of is through water deprivation.

Properly shocked by this one. A chameleon to the very end.

Now the thin very-white duke.

Damn...

Lemmy just after his birthday,

David as well....

When is Bieber celebrating?

• Like 4

I think the headline for this thread should be "David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes, Stardust to Stardust"