post mortem

David Bowie

I did think it a bit strange how he hadn't released an album since 2003 and then released 2 in relatively quick succession. Most people thought it was a comeback but I kind of thought it was a farewell album especially when he didn't tour. There was talk that he would attend the 2012 London Olympics closing ceremony but that came to nothing..

I didn't think he was actually gong to die soonish though - just completely disappear from the music scene.

When you look at his lifestyle in the 1970s though (and even though you can live a clean lifestyle afterwards for decades) it must have an impact on people, and I have read he's always smoked like a chimney as well which doesn't help.

I wonder if other people like him of a similar age like Elton John won't get to see an advanced age - ie late 70s onwards?

• Like 1

2015 didn't have any really major deaths like 2014 (Rivers, Williams) or 2013 (Thatcher, Mandela) or most years actually.

David Bowie's death is a sign that 2016 might be filled with HUGE deaths. Aretha Franklin, Pope Benedict, Muhammad Ali, Jimmy Carter... maybe even the queen!

Even though we are on the Death List Forum and "Death" is what its all about...

This one has me rattled - just a freaky vibe and sadness after hearing of DB's death.

• Like 2

Even though we are on the Death List Forum and "Death" is what its all about...

This one has me rattled - just a freaky vibe and sadness after hearing of DB's death.

I'd say it is due to the suddeness. If everyone had known he was terminally ill for a long time, they would have acclimatised to it.

Good to see you rockin' the (potential) new NZ flag, by the way!

• Like 1

2015 didn't have any really major deaths like 2014 (Rivers, Williams) or 2013 (Thatcher, Mandela) or most years actually.

David Bowie's death is a sign that 2016 might be filled with HUGE deaths. Aretha Franklin, Pope Benedict, Muhammad Ali, Jimmy Carter... maybe even the queen!

I'd put Lemmy as a major death

And I'd add Geoffrey Howe - the man who melted down the Iron Lady and sent her to the political scrapheap.

Yes, I strongly disagree with RadGuy about 2015 not having any major deaths but I do agree that 2016 is potentially going to be a massive year with a real changing of the guard occurring. A lot of expected ones from 2015 are now "overdue" (Billy Graham for instance) and with the likes of Jimmy Carter a real possibility and the aforementioned rockers' lifestyles catching up with them it could be a monumental year.

• Like 1

Hmm, isn't this is always a bit subjective? Is there set of qualification criteria for "Major"? What is a major death to one person possibly isn't to another. I've seen Motorhead live and not seen Bowie for example, however I would still argue that the former is a niche market (heavy metal maybe but without wishing to get into a specific genre argument :P) where the latter is more generally popular.

I'd warrant a larger proportion of the world can hum Space Oddity to themselves than Ace of Spades. My mum wouldn't know a tune if it smashed her on the head, but she knows who David Bowie is was and wouldn't have a clue about Lemmy.

• Like 1

Joan fucking Rivers are you kidding me?

You got Lauren Becall and Mickey Rooney and Shirley Temple Black dying and you hand me Joan obnoxious Rivers!?!???

SC

• Like 2

You got Lauren Becall and Mickey Rooney and Shirley Temple Black dying and you hand me Joan obnoxious Rivers!?!???

SC

You kinda sound like her right now!

• Like 1

SC

Of course! Joan Rivers was all over the news, and she was still very active before her death, which was a total surprise. Can't really say the same about the others.

To the pervious replies: Lemmy probably wasn't as major of a death as Bowie. Not as much publicity for sure.

• Like 1

I've just had to break the news to a couple of schoolkids in Tesco that 'The Man Who Sold The World' was not actually a Nirvana song but in fact by Lulu.

Is it blasphemy to say I prefer Lulu's version of "The Man Who Sold The World"? :blush:

• Like 1

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Any member of Pink Floyd
  • Roger Taylor (or any member of The Who)
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.

Surely Peter Gabriel is more or less in the same league as Bowie, too. Thoughts?

The music press will go into meltdown but the rest of the press will just report it as normal. Ironically Phil Collins would probably generate more column inches.

SC

Of course! Joan Rivers was all over the news, and she was still very active before her death, which was a total surprise. Can't really say the same about the others.

To the pervious replies: Lemmy probably wasn't as major of a death as Bowie. Not as much publicity for sure.

The way Joan Rivers died probably contributed to the extensive coverage.

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.

Joni Mitchell is a name conspicuous by its absence on that list. There was a heck of a lot of coverage about her when she had a stroke. That would be multiplied by at least 10 if she died.

And I'd add Geoffrey Howe - the man who melted down the Iron Lady and sent her to the political scrapheap.

Plus you have Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, which might yet bring about a war or such like.

Oh, and some guy called Christopher Lee. I hear he made a few world famous films.

I've just had to break the news to a couple of schoolkids in Tesco that 'The Man Who Sold The World' was not actually a Nirvana song but in fact by Lulu.

Is it blasphemy to say I prefer Lulu's version of "The Man Who Sold The World"? :blush:

I have a theory about cover versions, and it is this -

In MOST CASES people prefer the version that THEY HEARD FIRST, not necessarily the version that was released first.

Of course there are exceptions to this, hence my use of the words "in most cases"

That is my theory. (sniff)

• Like 2

In MOST CASES people prefer the version that THEY HEARD FIRST, not necessarily the version that was released first.

Of course there are exceptions to this, hence my use of the words "in most cases"

Oh, good evening, Miss Elk.

El Vez does a great version of Rock n Roll Suicide mashed up with Elvis Presley's "If I can Dream"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StY6rPPcHYk

41CrNHolidL._SS280.jpg

No. I do too...

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba

My twopenn'orth:

In terms of the level of coverage which Bowie has had - Dylan definitely. Jagger, McCartney, Elton John as well. Pink Floyd's an odd one. Syd made the news and made the covers of newspapers when he went (albeit not to the extent of DB). Waters/Gilmour were the powerhouse behind their later success but they tend to be understated (ironic considering their stage shows) but they'll get plenty of coverage no doubt.

Bowie was the lead story on TV news, whereas probably most of those on the list may or may not make the first headline on the evening news, depending on whatever happens in the "real" world (politics, terror attacks, natural disasters, you never know). The thing with Bowie was that he wasn't a massive megastar (Rod Stewart and Elton John were more successful (and just as enduring in popularity) in the same time frame) but he was considered culturally important (just like Dylan who was not a massive commercial star).

Abba will get their dues, so will Cliff Richard (depending on current investigations) and the Who/Led Zep bunch.

I get the feeling Madonna (who we know looks after herself, unless she does a Jim Fixx!) will end up like the nonogenarian Hollywood golden agers we still (just ) have left. She will probably die aged 92 or something, with the golden age of pop, of which she was part will be long gone. She'll be like Betty Davis or something!

EDIT: Ooh, let's not forget Kraftwerk, they'll get their dues. They're probably more influential than anyone else on that list!

• Like 2

Been thinking... who would be the biggest musical death of each decade?

I would say:

1950s - Buddy Holly

1960s - ?

1970s - Elvis Presley

1980s - John Lennon

1990s - Frank Sinatra (no, not Kurt Cobain)

2000s - Michael Jackson

2010s - David Bowie

Anyone want to disagree with that? Can't think who the biggest musical death of the 60s would be, either. There's no one clear standout figure.

I would say:

1950s - Buddy Holly

1960s - Marilyn Monroe

1970s - jimi Hendrix

1980s - John Lennon

1990s - Kurt Cobain

2000s - Michael Jackson

2010s - David Bowie

Anyone want to disagree with that? Can't think who the biggest musical death of the 60s would be, either. There's no one clear standout figure.

I would say:

1950s - Buddy Holly

1960s - ?

1970s - Elvis Presley

1980s - John Lennon

1990s - Frank Sinatra (no, not Kurt Cobain)

2000s - Michael Jackson

2010s - David Bowie

Brian Jones imo.

For the '70s, Elvis doesn't stand out much either. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison.

And, yes, Kurt Cobain. Sinatra wasn't active or at the peak of his career.