post mortem

David Bowie

Been thinking... who would be the biggest musical death of each decade?

I would say:

1950s - Buddy Holly

1960s - Marilyn Monroe

1970s - jimi Hendrix

1980s - John Lennon

1990s - Kurt Cobain

2000s - Michael Jackson

2010s - David Bowie

Anyone want to disagree with that? Can't think who the biggest musical death of the 60s would be, either. There's no one clear standout figure.

Not sure Marilyn Monroe was known for her musical ability.

• Like 6

I'm sure "Happy Birthday Mr. President" influenced an entire generation of singers :lol:

• Like 5

I would say:

1950s - Buddy Holly

1960s - ?

1970s - Elvis Presley

1980s - John Lennon

1990s - Frank Sinatra (no, not Kurt Cobain)

2000s - Michael Jackson

2010s - David Bowie

Anyone want to disagree with that? Can't think who the biggest musical death of the 60s would be, either. There's no one clear standout figure.

Brian Jones imo.

For the '70s, Elvis doesn't stand out much either. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison.

And, yes, Kurt Cobain. Sinatra wasn't active or at the peak of his career.

For the 60s I don't think I could decide. Brian Jones would feature high on the list. Also Eddie Cochran, Johnny Kidd, Bobby Fuller would be 3 others that I'd put forward.

I would say:

1950s - Buddy Holly

1960s - ?

1970s - Elvis Presley

1980s - John Lennon

2000s - Michael Jackson

2010s - David Bowie

Brian Jones imo.

For the '70s, Elvis doesn't stand out much either. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison.

For the 60s I don't think I could decide. Brian Jones would feature high on the list. Also Eddie Cochran, Johnny Kidd, Bobby Fuller would be 3 others that I'd put forward.

Woody Guthrie or Judy Garland.

People knew Judy and Woody were on the way out so there was none of the shock factor associated with all of the others (except Sinatra).

The real Paul McCartney for the sixties?

• Like 4

Sam Cooke and Otis Redding for the 60s

Marvin Gaye for the 80s

• Like 2

Frankie Lymon and Johnny Burnette are two other possibilities from the 1960s.

I forgot about Johnny Burnette.

There is also Janis Joplin, Gram Parsons, Cass Elliot and Jim Morrison for the 70s

Shit loads, infact.

There is also Janis Joplin, Gram Parsons, Cass Elliot and Jim Morrison for the 70s

Shit loads, infact.

Louis Armstrong, Gene Vincent, Bobby Darin, Phil Ochs, Sid Vicious, and Jackie Brenston, Bing Crosby, Marc Bolan and that's barely the tip of the icebrg.

You can add Little Walter to the Sonny Boy Williams II to the 1960s. And I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Kieth Moon for the 70s.

Is it me or are we veering into off-topic land?

• Like 4

Indeed we are.

and yes David, we were heroes. If just for one day.

1713393,sbo5748Au+X2u6AhoHsdIG0MRTRmmCmF

• Like 1

You have a fair point... maybe we should discuss this separate topic in a separate thread!

Veering into? I think we've landed, got off the plane and set up camp in the bar of off-topic land.

Any of the mods want to tidy this discussion up into a separate thread please?

• Like 1

I would say:

1950s - Buddy Holly

1960s - ?

1970s - Elvis Presley

1980s - John Lennon

2000s - Michael Jackson

2010s - David Bowie

Brian Jones imo.

I respectfully disagree. Hendrix, Morrison and to a significantly lesser extent Joplin were big names in music and hugely influential, but Elvis was a bigger name than any of them. The fact that Elvis died somewhat after his prime and Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin died in their prime shouldn't change this.

And I would emphasise this point even further with Frank Sinatra and Kurt Cobain - Cobain was obviously at the peak of his career when he died but Frank Sinatra was definitely a more important musician overall. Personally, I believe Cobain was a whining little shite who only ever wrote about 4 or 5 good songs.

• Like 1

Guest guest

Edith Piaf for the 60s

Joan fucking Rivers are you kidding me?

You got Lauren Becall and Mickey Rooney and Shirley Temple Black dying and you hand me Joan obnoxious Rivers!?!???

SC

You kinda sound like her right now!

I got some sorta sore throat thing makes me sound verklempt. Like an old haggard Jew woman who presumes she knows everything and is happy to tell her opinion. Surprised you could pull all that out from a visual post, though, Dr.Z. You ARE a Dr after all!

SC

Bloody sad.A real innovator and genius.I certainly did not expect him to die this year.Had anyone heard any rumours at all?I wonder how many other musicians deaths would get the same amount of news coverage.

I'm glad he was able to keep it quiet if that's what he wanted. A fuck you to the corpse chasing media and indirectly to wankers like us. I reckon there's a few dozen would get similar coverage if they died unexpectedly like Bowie:

• Prince
  • Mick Jagger
  • Jimmy Page
  • Brian May
  • Paul McCartney
  • John Lydon
  • Ringo Starr
  • Bob Geldolf
  • Bono
  • Tina Turner
  • Bob Dylan
  • Bruce Springsteen
  • Surviving Bee Gees
  • Madonna
  • Billy Joel
  • Lars Ulrich
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Lionel Richie
  • Leonard Cohen
  • Bruce Dickinson
  • Elton John
  • Any member of Pink Floyd
  • Roger Taylor (or any member of The Who)
  • Cliff Richard
  • Any member of Abba
what about the two greatest artists of all time Roger Waters and David Gilmore of pink Floyd.

Joni Mitchell is a name conspicuous by its absence on that list. There was a heck of a lot of coverage about her when she had a stroke. That would be multiplied by at least 10 if she died.

It was a slow news day re: Mitchell.

​OK but really I think it was the shock of the whole thing. Now we know. Joni Mitchell isn't anywhere NEAR the stratosphere of say Springsteen or Prince or Stevie Wonder. People will shed tears when they die.

Joni dies it'll be like "huh, musta been that brain thing acting up. Your play, Dierdre, I led with the King of Hearts".

Geldof, BeeGees, Ulrich (PahLEEZ), Dickenson (pahLEEZ), Pink Floyd members not named Waters (FYI the next most important one has been dead and no one cared), and Cliff Richard (maybe in some parts of the world, but not the US of A) haven't fuckall of a reason to be on this list. They are NOT mega-stars.

​And is no one going to call out this boner:

"Roger Taylor (or any member of The Who)"

​You friggin dumbass.

​Leave it to Sir Creep I guess. Gotta always do the dirty work around here.

SC

It was a slow news day re: Mitchell.

​OK but really I think it was the shock of the whole thing. Now we know. Joni Mitchell isn't anywhere NEAR the stratosphere of say Springsteen or Prince or Stevie Wonder.

You are joking, aren't you? As great as Springsteen, Prince and Wonder are, she's miles above all three in musical importance stakes. It will be a big deal when she dies, though I agree that it probably won't come as a surprise and most people will put it down to her recent ill health.

• Like 2

Has anyone committed suicide over Bowie, or do people not do that kind of thing anymore?

Has anyone committed suicide over Bowie, or do people not do that kind of thing anymore?

There was one in Japan. I can't paste the link properly on my phone, but if you want to do a search or I can add the link tomorrow while at work

I'm a bit suspicious about this alleged death. I mean, Lazarus ... hmmm. Could it be that Mr Bowie has just, you know, gone home ? Like Elvis ;)

I'm a bit suspicious about this alleged death. I mean, Lazarus ... hmmm. Could it be that Mr Bowie has just, you know, gone home ? Like Elvis ;)

I was just wondering whether even Bowie had the cojones to appear today having rolled back the stone....