Godot

Ask A Deathlister

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

Is he a platonic friend?

She is. She's also 20 years older so should have worked out her style by now. I would have more empathy of it were someone younger. 

I am right in thinking it strange though aren't I?

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

I am right in thinking it strange though aren't I?

Unnerving, certainly.

Just worm your way into her dreams and, when you get there, tell her you want to burn her wardrobe. 

• Haha 1

By dressing like you, do you mean she buys identical garments or just tries to copy your style?

Just now, Toast said:

By dressing like you, do you mean she buys identical garments or just tries to copy your style?

A bit of both. I know some overlap is bound to happen on a small island without a huge amount of shops and that's fine. One example is that she never used to wear red, it's a colour I wear quite a lot and now when we meet up she is almost always in red. She even bought us matching sunglasses,  gave me a blue pair (a colour I do not wear and she does) and kept the red pair for herself. 

Today she gave me a headband, added that she bought one for herself as well and we should wear them together when we next to out.

I know it's not that big a deal, but something similar happened to me at university and that ended up escalating to other stuff so I am on my guard a bit.

On 21/02/2022 at 00:17, Toast said:

They do though.

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/osram-classic-a-100w-led-filament-frosted-bc-bulb

Look at the price though!  And there are never any on the shelves.  Wilko have them at £8 each, but only dimmable which I don't need, and none in store when I looked.

Asda have got some cheaper ones listed, but there won't be any in the shops, you can bet.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/bayonet-cap-bulbs/asda-led-classic-100-w-large-bayonet-lightbulb/1000304248886

The way to go is for a trade supplier and buy in bulk for future use, much cheaper even if you are maintaining out of date fittings and don’t want to change. To be honest with fuel costs now it is worth getting rid and upgrading.

32 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

The way to go is for a trade supplier and buy in bulk for future use, much cheaper even if you are maintaining out of date fittings and don’t want to change. To be honest with fuel costs now it is worth getting rid and upgrading.

If they last as long as they're claimed to, there's no point in buying in bulk, I would never need that many.

I found some in B&M.  Tesco also had some.  But it's noticeable that the 100w are far outnumbered by the 60w. 

Not sure what you're on about with fuel costs and upgrading?  Getting rid of what?  I thought LED bulbs were the most economical now.  But it seems to change all the time now.

20 minutes ago, Toast said:

If they last as long as they're claimed to, there's no point in buying in bulk, I would never need that many.

I found some in B&M.  Tesco also had some.  But it's noticeable that the 100w are far outnumbered by the 60w. 

Not sure what you're on about with fuel costs and upgrading?  Getting rid of what?  I thought LED bulbs were the most economical now.  But it seems to change all the time now.

Buying the old stock in bulk whilst still effectively cheap, I would agree that the new tech has become more affordable, currently in process of replacing halogen downlighters with led. The payback period is now shorter with increased prices. My wife’s electric car is now in the country an eight month wait from order, Government are replacing high petrol costs with high electric costs. Energy companies work on a margin basis and need to be taxed more.

All my bulbs are LED.  I just wanted some brighter ones for overhead lights.  Soft lighting is all very well but sometimes you need a strong light to see what you're doing.  

My eyesight would probably have lasted longer without needing spex if I'd used decent lighting more.

10 hours ago, Handrejka said:

A bit of both. I know some overlap is bound to happen on a small island without a huge amount of shops and that's fine. One example is that she never used to wear red, it's a colour I wear quite a lot and now when we meet up she is almost always in red. She even bought us matching sunglasses,  gave me a blue pair (a colour I do not wear and she does) and kept the red pair for herself. 

Today she gave me a headband, added that she bought one for herself as well and we should wear them together when we next to out.

I know it's not that big a deal, but something similar happened to me at university and that ended up escalating to other stuff so I am on my guard a bit.

Wear a onesie for an entire month whatever the location, claim it's really becoming the style on the mainland.

Then you'll know.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, En Passant said:

Wear a onesie for an entire month whatever the location, claim it's really becoming the style on the mainland.

Then you'll know.

Oh she likes onesies. I suspect it was her who bought me one , a leopard print one, as a secret Santa gift a few years ago. I don't like them and have never worn it.  I guess she has given up on trying to get me to dress like her and is trying something else.

One for the science fiction buffs.  I'm trying to remember the name of a film from the 60's possibly 70's.  There was another planet earth but as it was always on the same orbit as this earth and on the other side as the sun.  A space ship with an astronaut was launched to it, but when he got there, apparently the 'other earth' did the same thing and he returned too soon and everything seemed to be the opposite way round.  He was a yank, and was driving on what he thought was the right side of the road, but as he was from the other earth, he was driving on the wrong side. (Sorry if that sounds confusing, but I'm trying to understand what I wrote myself) :lol:

7 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun.

I'm no SF buff, but I have a working knowledge of google, and a brain :old:

But if i put all that shit into Google,  would it understand? ;)

I've posted on several local Facebook groups about an event I've organised.  I know they must have been posted and accepted, because I've had notifications of "likes" from friends.

But I can't see the posts.  Why would that be? 

I've tried toggling the "newest" "most relevant" etc, but it still doesn't bring up my posts.

I hate Facebook.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I've posted on several local Facebook groups about an event I've organised.  I know they must have been posted and accepted, because I've had notifications of "likes" from friends.

I've tried toggling the "newest" "most relevant" etc, but it still doesn't bring up my posts.

I hate Facebook.

Happens here too. It's a Facebook bug. See also the newest posts never updating anymore, the entire page jumping if you try and reply to someone, etc etc. Useless website. (Apart from its few obvious uses which mean I haven't dumped it yet.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Happens here too. It's a Facebook bug. See also the newest posts never updating anymore, the entire page jumping if you try and reply to someone, etc etc. Useless website. (Apart from its few obvious uses which mean I haven't dumped it yet.)

It's weird because I can usually see posts I make. 

On 19/08/2022 at 09:03, Toast said:

I hate Facebook.

New Glitches for sure on FB.  I posted something two days ago and decided to edit it but I couldn’t because ‘edit post’ didn’t appear as an option.  I’ve always edited posts when needed so this was a first.  

Try looking at your page as someone else (in settings) and see what others see.  Lol maybe ‘everyone but me’ is who can view posts - that would be so ridiculous I expect Zuckerberg to launch it soon.

16 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Try looking at your page as someone else (in settings) and see what others see.

I thought of that but I can't because the posts are all in private groups. 

A post did become visible when someone left a comment, and I was able to reply to it, but I can't see it now.  Doesn't work with reactions although I still get a notification. 

The posts have been tagged as "(Toast) shared a link" so it might be something to do with the way they categorise posts.  Pretty stupid to tag it that way as it wasn't just posting a link - it was a link added to a post which I've often done before without any repercussions.

On 25/08/2022 at 12:41, Toast said:

I thought of that but I can't because the posts are all in private groups. 

A post did become visible when someone left a comment, and I was able to reply to it, but I can't see it now.  Doesn't work with reactions although I still get a notification. 

The posts have been tagged as "(Toast) shared a link" so it might be something to do with the way they categorise posts.  Pretty stupid to tag it that way as it wasn't just posting a link - it was a link added to a post which I've often done before without any repercussions.

Tried this again and what seems to be messing it up is the display box that comes up when you post a link.  Get rid of that, so only the actual link itself is in the post, and everything's normal.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Toast said:

Tried this again and what seems to be messing it up is the display box that comes up when you post a link.  Get rid of that, so only the actual link itself is in the post, and everything's normal.

Interesting.  I haven’t had the same problem as you (yet) but I do post linked material in a couple groups I Admin where this solution will come in handy if it ever does occur.

36 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Was I the only one whose access to the forum was shut down for one hour

Yes, but after 90 mins I really wanted to know a frontpage fact so loaded up the Wayback Machine, got the answer, then found the forum was back. Sods Law successfully activated!

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Was I the only one whose access to the forum was shut down for one hour

It happened for me too. Said an update was in process. 

Anyone have information on it? @Death Impends @Paul Bearer