Going Underground

Ice Hockey Players

On 28/09/2023 at 10:26, Banana said:

Being held on life support for organ donation. 

dead

edit: the article says he will be giving "four people the gift of life by donating his kidneys, liver, and lungs"

rip warrior

• Like 5

On 07/02/2023 at 14:07, gcreptile said:

DDP obit punt Mike Sertich, B-list ice hockey player and coach, here looking a little roughed up by his pancreatic cancer treatment, but not at death's door yet:

https://www.startribune.com/mike-sertich-minnesota-duluth-hockey-brett-hull-bobby-hull-patrick-reusse/600248451/

Mike Sertich will be honored in some event, and supposedly looked great in August:

https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports/college/umd-women-healthy-but-bulldogs-men-banged-up-to-open-season

His pancreatic cancer was "only" stage 3, which is probably ruling him out as a great pick in the future. He's only picked by Banana and me in the DDP, so this chance to separate from the rest of the field will not happen.

On 03/01/2022 at 02:39, Banana said:

2022 list:

Player Games Cups Birthdate - Deathdate

Ed Sandford 503 GP 0 August 20, 1928

As there was never a 2023 version, using the above to post this report of the death of Ed Sandford, Boston Bruins' oldest alumnus:

Adam Johnson, a former Pittsburgh Penguins Center, has apparently died following a horrific accident in an Elite League match between the Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers.

29-year-old Johnson, from Minnesota, suffered a cut to his throat from an opposition player's skate and required CPR at the scene, prompting the arena to be evacuated. See the tweet below.

So far, the only source confirming Johnson's death is a news-aggregating group on Facebook but imagine that official confirmation will come shortly or into tomorrow morning, the radio silence since it happened seems to confirm the worst.

EDIT: Post on Facebook from his Mother confirms the tragic news. 

EDIT 2: Now confirmed by the Nottingham Panthers 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, MarcJWallace said:

Adam Johnson, a former Pittsburgh Penguins Center, has apparently died following a horrific accident in an Elite League match between the Nottingham Panthers and Sheffield Steelers.

29-year-old Johnson, from Minnesota, suffered a cut to his throat from an opposition player's skate and required CPR at the scene, prompting the arena to be evacuated. See the tweet below.

So far, the only source confirming Johnson's death is a news-aggregating group on Facebook but imagine that official confirmation will come shortly or into tomorrow morning, the radio silence since it happened seems to confirm the worst.

Just came in to post about this.  Horrific accident.

The same happened to Clint Malarchuk in 1989, but he received the correct treatment immediately and didn't need CPR. Still horrific and traumatising for everyone who saw it. Do not watch the video. It's pretty much the worst thing that can happen in sport.

This type of accident has happened at least a couple times before, Malarchuk’s being rather infamous.  ESPN was still a fledgling station and showed the video clip over and over that evening.  It’s slightly disturbing but Malarchuk would be fine and even skated off the ice under his own power because hockey players are tough.  Apparently Johnson tried to do the same last night.  To my knowledge he is the first to die from a skate to the jugular.

’He died doing what he loved” smh

SirC

IMG_7901.jpeg

So, manslaughter arrest over the death of Adam Johnson, and police warning people online not to speculate, which I guess means open season to post solid information! This has to revolve around whether the coming together that caused this included the other player's recklessness as a contribution to fatal injury. I.e. it was a foul, but there was no intention to cause lasting injury, right?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-67419951

11 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, manslaughter arrest over the death of Adam Johnson, and police warning people online not to speculate, which I guess means open season to post solid information! This has to revolve around whether the coming together that caused this included the other player's recklessness as a contribution to fatal injury. I.e. it was a foul, but there was no intention to cause lasting injury, right?

To me this is crazy - compare with deaths in boxing for example?

41 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Seems pretty harsh on Petgrave, if you’ve seen the footage. It’s like a two-week VAR decision by the filth.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Seems pretty harsh on Petgrave, if you’ve seen the footage. It’s like a two-week VAR decision by the filth.

To be fair it doesn't confirm it was Petgrave arrested, just "a man." Could be an issue re: rink safety prep as well, but let's see.

Wasn't the victim wearing any neck protection?  I would have thought that would be a basic precaution.

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

To me this is crazy - compare with deaths in boxing for example?

I think what makes this a different case from boxing deaths and other sports related deaths is that this type of incident is not a regular part of the sport, albeit a freak accident that falls outside typical play. Should be noted whoever was arrested (pretty obvious who) was only arrested, doesn't seem like they were charged with anything. I wouldn't expect anything to come of this, just seems like they're doing their due diligence and following the legal process.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Wasn't the victim wearing any neck protection?  I would have thought that would be a basic precaution.

Nope. It's a pretty divided issue it seems. It's mandatory as a minor, but once you hit a certain level/age it's not mandated. Kind of ridiculous seeing as how I've personally never played without one and never had an issue with wearing it. Some claim it's a nuisance, but I wouldn't particularly take those people very seriously. I could understand players not wanting to wear a mouthguard or a cage, but not wearing a neckguard can be lethal.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

Not required actually. NHL, among many other leagues, hasn't required despite having a history of this kind of accident - so no chance a much smaller league would require it. At least until the league did after this incident (while the NHL, KHL, and others continue to resist). Players don't like to wear it.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, Banana said:

I think what makes this a different case from boxing deaths and other sports related deaths is that this type of incident is not a regular part of the sport, albeit a freak accident that falls outside typical play. Should be noted whoever was arrested (pretty obvious who) was only arrested, doesn't seem like they were charged with anything. I wouldn't expect anything to come of this, just seems like they're doing their due diligence and following the legal process.

Nope. It's a pretty divided issue it seems. It's mandatory as a minor, but once you hit a certain level/age it's not mandated. Kind of ridiculous seeing as how I've personally never played without one and never had an issue with wearing it. Some claim it's a nuisance, but I wouldn't particularly take those people very seriously. I could understand players not wanting to wear a mouthguard or a cage, but not wearing a neckguard can be lethal.

Being so many weeks later suggests there is some proper evidence to warrant an arrest being done. 

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Being so many weeks later suggests there is some proper evidence to warrant an arrest being done. 

What possible evidence could there be that you seem to think will change anything

9 hours ago, Banana said:

It would have been like arresting Sean Abbott for the death of Phillip Hughes then to give a more appropriate comparison.

6 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

It would have been like arresting Sean Abbott for the death of Phillip Hughes then to give a more appropriate comparison.

Even in the world of motorsports where fatal accidents can and do happen, arresting a driver simply for being involved in the fatal contact would be an extremely weird thing to do. Imagine arresting Juan Manuel Correa for Anthoine Hubert's death or arresting E.J Viso for Dan Wheldon's death just because it was their cars that lead to the fatal contact. 

In fact, I don't ever recall a racing driver being arrested for his involvement in a fatal accident in a motor race.

This reminds me of a while back when a prosecutor was trying to decide whether to charge NASCAR driver Tony Stewart for the death of fellow driver Kevin Ward Jr. Ward got out of his sprint car and walked on the track when Stewart struck and killed him. I don't think this situation was premeditated but this was still a dirty play. 

• Like 1