Lord Fellatio Nelson

DL Status Updates: Statements, Obsevations & Verbal Tennis

Yes, it was utterly fucked as far as the actual bodywork goes, but still ran brilliantly.  Never let me down. 

Lots of things didn't work though.  The heater wouldn't turn off, the locks didn't work, the CD player  .....

I became a widow 10 October 02h00 UTC when my husband of 26 years died from pancreatic cancer complications.

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

6 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

I became a widow 10 October 02h00 UTC when my husband of 26 years died from pancreatic cancer complications.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

I’m so very sorry for your loss, Torva. Look after yourself.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Torva Messor said:

Sorry for your loss Torva. 

• Thanks 1

So very sorry to hear this, Torva.  Hope you have people to support you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Torva Messor said:

So sorry to hear that.

May he rest in peace.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, torbrexbones said:

After all, who in their right mind would want to go to Wales anyway? ;)

Sheep?

I have been to Wales.  I have relatives who own a pub there.  :D

Just now, Toast said:

I have been to Wales.  

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

We had a lovely holiday in North Wales a mere two weeks ago

Lived there for 18 years. Regret leaving now. :mellow:

• Like 1

I stumbled upon this recently.

https://stuartfrew.wordpress.com/2007/08/31/36/

This explains why I was asking about Jerry Stevens in the comics thread. 

He did a double act, for a while, with Lennie Bennett.

Well, for a critique of comedians of the past, it is pretty savage and, IMHO, very funny.

This got me to thinking whether the assessment of those comedians now is a bit unfair?

Comedy has changed an awful lot since they trod the boards, judging the past by what we laugh at now may be a tad harsh?

Maybe in 30 years time we will look back at todays funny people and declare that Nish Kumar was as funny as finding out that your fart was actually a solid.

Opinions?

8 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I think Nish Kumar is very funny.

You are funnier.

2 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Well, for a critique of comedians of the past, it is pretty savage and, IMHO, very funny.

This got me to thinking whether the assessment of those comedians now is a bit unfair?

Comedy has changed an awful lot since they trod the boards, judging the past by what we laugh at now may be a tad harsh?

Maybe in 30 years time we will look back at todays funny people and declare that Nish Kumar was as funny as finding out that your fart was actually a solid.

Opinions?

I think that's a bit unfair on Roy Hudd, ,fair enough on the others though. However I did used to really like Lucky Ladders though and one of my favourite stupid quiz contestants moments comes from there.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Opinions?

I was exposed to most of those "comedians" in my youth, and was always mystified that the grown-ups found them funny.

Mind you, I never found Morecambe and Wise remotely funny either.    Or any of those double acts really, bar the Two Ronnies. 

Who did make me laugh?

Benny Hill.  Stanley Baxter.  Dick Emery.  Frankie Howerd in Up Pompeii

So mainly the risqué, camp, cross-dressing types. :o

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Toast said:

I was exposed to most of those "comedians" in my youth, and was always mystified that the grown-ups found them funny.

Mind you, I never found Morecambe and Wise remotely funny either.    Or any of those double acts really, bar the Two Ronnies. 

Who did make me laugh?

Benny Hill.  Stanley Baxter.  Dick Emery.  Frankie Howerd in Up Pompeii

So mainly the risqué, camp, cross-dressing types. :o

I can relate to most of that.  I always thought the Two Ronnies were funnier than Morecombe and Wise, who had one or two good sketches but were always overrated. 

I still giggle at Dick Emery. 

52 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I can relate to most of that.  I always thought the Two Ronnies were funnier than Morecombe and Wise, who had one or two good sketches but were always overrated. 

I still giggle at Dick Emery. 

The joy of the Two Ronnies was that they were both talented comics on their own and Ronnie Barker was a tough task master in terms of what he would do. The sheer variety of what you would get in an episode is impressive. 

I always thought Les Dawson was very funny.

Les Dawson is very funny. His family gags seem more of the communal "what're families like?" rather than anything nasty. Dave Allen, Tommy Cooper, Peter Cook all dated well, still hilarious. Morecambe and Wise have huge fail to success sketch ratios but the good ones hold up the entire rest of it. Ditto Python, ntnocn, fast show and French and Saunders. When I was growing up Harry Enfield made me laugh myself hoarse but with few exceptions Reeves and Mortimer left me cold. Same with Victoria Wood, whereas I was dying with laughter the first time I heard the much missed Linda Smith's show. 

Not everything dates at the same speed. Michael McIntyre for example is dated ten weeks before he speaks...

• Like 1