Stayin Alive

Boris Johnson

36 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

My dad still likes Boris. Maybe he could join the cabinet. 

Bit of a twat, then.

Oh my God, this is it, isn't it?! It's been bugging me all along where I've seen devotion of the kind Nadine shows Boris! :lol:

• Haha 1

Simon Hart resigns as Welsh Secretary 

Edward Arger Resigns as Health Minister

I think that's 3 cabinet resignations

18 minisisterial resignations

44 MPs in total

Then Gove was sacked on top of that.

• Like 1

It’s all imploded. Even Suella Braverman has resigned now and announced she will run for leader. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

It’s all imploded. Even Suella Braverman has resigned now.

According to Newsnight just now, she said on Peston that she's NOT resigning but he should go and she intends to stand for the leadership. Ballsy, especially for someone who still thinks staying in the Cabinet is a good idea...

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

According to Newsnight just now, she said on Peston that she's not resigning but he should go and she intends to stand for the leadership. Ballsy, especially for someone who still thinks staying in the Cabinet is a good idea...

She will be sacked in the morning surely. 

I don't know much of UK politics or how the government functions, but you lot have been saying "he's finished!" for days/weeks/months. Apparently things escalted today based on all the replies (on a death forum I should add). 

Wouldn't he be gone by now if he was finished? Seems a bit like you guys underestimate him or overestimate the rest of your government. We had a similar moment (albeit much more violent) via Trump here in the States. Just an outsiders opinion. 

When does 'he is finished' actually equate to him being gone?

2 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Boris Johnson has sacked Michael Gove  - on BBC NEWS now!!:o

Oh, that's a shame. I quite enjoyed his performance as Alfred in the Keaton-era Batman films.

• Haha 1

Suellla Braverman called on PM to resign refuses to resign herself and says she will stand to succeed him:axe:

15 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

I don't know much of UK politics or how the government functions, but you lot have been saying "he's finished!" for days/weeks/months. Apparently things escalted today based on all the replies (on a death forum I should add). 

Wouldn't he be gone by now if he was finished? Seems a bit like you guys underestimate him or overestimate the rest of your government. We had a similar moment (albeit much more violent) via Trump here in the States. Just an outsiders opinion. 

Not in UK either but how I read it is BoJo actually is a liability now whereas Trump never truly was. Like Nixon didn't survive Watergate not because the GOP had any integrity then, but because enough states were open to voting either party that enough senators risked losing their jobs back then if they stayed on the sinking Nixon ship. Whereas enough voters have been indoctrinated now that the GOP rank-and-file all know their jobs are safe no matter what so they no longer have to pretend to not be hacks.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

With any normal politician, he would've resigned about 4 times over by now, going back over a year.

Politically, he is finished. He has little support in the Cabinet, 75% of his backbenchers wanted rid of him a month ago and things haven't exactly got better since, and if he calls an election, all the polling says his 80 seat majority would vanish. Faced with losing the job he has schemed for all his life after just 3 years in post, he is clinging on for grim death and refusing to face reality. Assuming this continues to be the case, then the answer is 'about a week'. The 1922 Committee (the Conservative's backbench MPs) are about to elect a new executive body. Once that has taken place, it is highly likely they will change the rules on leadership contests to allow another vote of confidence in Johnson as soon as possible. It is almost impossible to imagine him winning that vote: he needed about 40 MPs to switch votes and he'd have been gone last month and more than that have resigned just in the last 24 hours. Once he loses the confidence vote, he would resign. Supposedly.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Finished in the Steve Mongo McMichael sense, not in the. Deborah James sense.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

No he is definitely finished this time.41% of his MPs wanted him to go which has increased plus 44 MPs have resigned from the Government payroll.He has very little support left in his parliamentary party and we are a parliamentary democracy so if he can't get enough MPs to join him in government he by definition cannot govern.

I have compared him to having stage 4 pancreatic cancer MND or Alzheimers.Well to up the metaphor he now has pneumonia on top is on a ventilator and organs are still failing in death list terms.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Finished in the Steve Mongo McMichael sense, not in the. Deborah James sense.

His position is worse than McMichaels health at this point.

39 minutes ago, Sean said:

His position is worse than McMichaels health at this point.

If you'd seen the last pics of Mongo its a 50-50 race now. 

26 minutes ago, msc said:

If you'd seen the last pics of Mongo its a 50-50 race now. 

He has looked like death warmed up for 3 months or so.Don`t see a decline.Not that there is much further he can decline.

Seems fitting

On 07/09/2019 at 21:37, Paul Bearer said:

Amber Rudd resigns. Baw Jaws single handedly destroying the Tory party. 

Amber Rudd quits cabinet and Conservative party https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49623737

Wonder how many more. 

Great foresight there.

On 01/10/2019 at 15:55, TQR said:

Remember this little gem.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2019 at 10:42, Redrumours said:

Truth hurts,either way.

Beyond surreal now - just about the only bit of the old normal in evidence is the Daily Mail still thinking he has a chance. Does he finally see sense and go, or is there one more (public meltdown, goes on television and appeals to the public, tries to call an election...) twist in the tale? 

Also, if he quits, do they break with precdent and put Raab in caretaker charge?

_125811867_sunpage1-nc.jpg