Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

Vice died in 2008.

I know. The original post is from 2006.

I was too lazy to read the entire thread...

All you had to do was look at the top of the post you quoted.

• Like 2

Vice died in 2008.

Who cares, he's dead and gone....I remember his fall and death, move on....

Roger Cicero, German Jazz singer who represented Germany in 2007, died of a stroke at age 45.

Link in German. http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/roger-cicero-ist-tot-a-1084461.html

A bit of a shock, though he collapsed of exhaustion late last year. I was unsure whether this death belongs in the jazz thread or in here.

• Like 1

Roger Cicero, German Jazz singer who represented Germany in 2007, died of a stroke at age 45.

Link in German. http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/roger-cicero-ist-tot-a-1084461.html

A bit of a shock, though he collapsed of exhaustion late last year. I was unsure whether this death belongs in the jazz thread or in here.

In Europe he is known as an ESC contestant, not as a Jazz oder Swing singer. That's why I posted the news about his death in the ESC-thread.

Und ja, das ist schon ein kleiner Schock irgendwie...

• Like 1

Vice died in 2008.

Who cares, he's dead and gone....I remember his fall and death, move on....

Carell died in 2006...

So what do you guys think of the songs so far? I heard Russia is leading but I prefer Hungary and I hate to say it, our song, too (Croatia)

Ok, so I always think it's difficult from the videos as you get little sense of the live performance and the contest itself can be as much about the staging etc etc etc.

I've just finished watching the First Semi participants and my thoughts are as follows:

To go straight through as the strongest songs: Finland, Hungary, Austria.

To go out as the weakest songs: Bosnia Herzegovina; San Marino, Croatia (sorry).

Everybody else is up for grabs as it's a pretty strong semi-final.

I'll update on the second semi, when I've gone through them.

Right, second Semi contestants watched, much less clear cut than the first I feel, as the songs will really depend on the sweep of personal choice. There's a bit of everything there. My own personal view is:

To go straight through as the strongest songs: Poland, Switzerland, Serbia.

To go out as the weakest songs: FYR Macedonia, Norway.

Real wild card in Romania, could either do really well or crash and burn.

Interested to hear some leading contenders in advance. Looked at the current betting and most are saying Russia to win. France close second. So listened to the French one first. Good idea to sing in both French and English. Could gain them extra points from the UK, Ireland and Australia. Sporting theme video works well.

Next looked at your question mark in Romania, very Bond Film like, ok but not a winner.

Russia, not as good as France, but those east European countries won't really care about the song.

Now going to look at those other well fancied songs in reverse order, starting with Switzerland.

Always a Eurovision favourite. Shame they have decided to only sing in English. Boring song which would have cut a better path to victory if the chorus had also used German, Italian, French.

Next Finland. Euro trash pop - I'm going to sing it away. Yep. You did. Right down the unforgettable exit tunnel.

Home nation Sweden next up. melody and sung story. It's ok, maybe even nice, but no sign of a single word sung in Swedish. Poor ending. Not a winner and no fear they will have to stage the contest two years running.

Austria... Kicks along nicely in French. What? French? Yep, Austrian singing in French. Like it, as good as the French entry, if not just shading it!

Hungary... No, no, no, no. Poor lad, 1. His English is not the best and he is shouting the poppy song in a gravelly voice. Not nice at all.

Serbia... Quite likely the strongest vocals yet. Belting it out in a slightly manic fashion. Can imagine she won the Serbian version of "The Voice". Power and effort done to the max. Like Russia this will win lots of east European votes.

8 more to go... All rated 3 and a half stars quality.

Australia. Top marks for a great sense of humour. My heart beats to the sound of silence. How can that possibly be possible unless the vacuous singer of possible Japanese decent is trully pulling the life out of her imposible song. Suprised it wasn't sung in Swedish.

Bulgaria. Quite Average. Liked the near Black and White video, till about 30 seconds in when I was convinced it would bust into full colour. Oh well. Nice hair on sexy singer. Bulgaria 2 points (nice nipples)

Croatia. Celtic undertones will chime with the Irish vote. Spacey / wet old car themed video was a grade A mess. What were they on? Thank god I'm not going to listen to those rated to be outsiders.

Italy. The song title is in English. Starts in Italian, stays in Italian till 2 thirds the way in. 30 seconds of English then back to Italian. Winning formula. Nicely sung too.

Latvia. Bloke belting out another second rate popish song, with a half way decent back beat, in English. Crying out for more. How many times did he sing the same line? Turn that round by singing it in as many languages he could manage and maybe it could get up into the top 4 or 5. Nice leather jacket.

Lithuania. I've been waiting for this night... To catch the herpesvirus! Euro trashy.

Malta. It's ok. Should finish in the top half of the leader board, but they are out of the friendly voting clique.

Spain. Fancy dancing rythumy thingy. Disjointed break in the middle for no reason.

Guess Russia will unexpectedly win by 50 votes from a three way tie between Italy, France and Australia. But watch out for dark horses in Poland and Austria.

• Like 1

Although, should they be reinstated and go on to win, wouldn't this be the most against-all-odds victory? I would look for bookmakers still accepting bets on Romania if I were you...

Listening to the songs now, currently to the entry of San Marino, and ha! Somebody asked himself "Does Leonard Cohen work as a disco number?"

Not much good stuff in there, I think I prefer Austria. Russia wants it too much. The dutch song sounds too much like George Hamilton. I have grown to like the german song. Also Latvia, who where my favourites last year, the same songwriter wrote that song, too, and it shows.

• Like 1

A few years ago they were attempting to do a version of Eurovision here. Instead of different countries competing, each State would have one singer or band representing them.

I remember seeing the adverts for the auditions as a shopping center / mall not far from me, but that was it.

A few years ago they were attempting to do a version of Eurovision here. Instead of different countries competing, each State would have one singer or band representing them.

I remember seeing the adverts for the auditions as a shopping center / mall not far from me, but that was it.

Haven't they ever done that? How extraordinary. Seems an obvious moneyspinner.

Can't see them falling over themselves to host Eurovision parties in North Carolina.

Can't see them falling over themselves to host Eurovision parties in North Carolina.

Not Eurovision. A US equivalent.

Not Eurovision. A US equivalent.

OK, Eurovision style parties. Yankovision?

I don't see how. Isn't Eurovision like a 3-4 episode event? Seems like it would be pretty expensive to recruit acts in all 50 states for basically a miniseries. Also the people who like Kitsch/Camp and people who like state jingoism are 2 entirely different demographics in the Us.

• Like 1