Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

A few years ago they were attempting to do a version of Eurovision here. Instead of different countries competing, each State would have one singer or band representing them.

I remember seeing the adverts for the auditions as a shopping center / mall not far from me, but that was it.

Haven't they ever done that? How extraordinary. Seems an obvious moneyspinner.

I don't see how. Isn't Eurovision like a 3-4 episode event? Seems like it would be pretty expensive to recruit acts in all 50 states for basically a miniseries. Also the people who like Kitsch/Camp and people who like state jingoism are 2 entirely different demographics in the Us.

The Eurovision Song Contest is a single event, not a miniseries. A TV spectacular, a gala occasion. (Unless it's changed, I haven't watched it in years.)

In th UK I think we have a preliminary show in which viewers can vote for the song to be performed. This aspect has varied over the years though.

I suppose you could have people in each state vote for the artist who would perform the state's entry song, and/or vote for the song itself. As in American Idol or X Factor. That could be a series of programmes, then you have the competition itself.

• Like 1

A few years ago they were attempting to do a version of Eurovision here. Instead of different countries competing, each State would have one singer or band representing them.

I remember seeing the adverts for the auditions as a shopping center / mall not far from me, but that was it.

Haven't they ever done that? How extraordinary. Seems an obvious moneyspinner.

I don't see how. Isn't Eurovision like a 3-4 episode event? Seems like it would be pretty expensive to recruit acts in all 50 states for basically a miniseries. Also the people who like Kitsch/Camp and people who like state jingoism are 2 entirely different demographics in the Us.

The Eurovision Song Contest is a single event, not a miniseries. A TV spectacular, a gala occasion. (Unless it's changed, I haven't watched it in years.)

In th UK I think we have a preliminary show in which viewers can vote for the song to be performed. This aspect has varied over the years though.

I suppose you could have people in each state vote for the artist who would perform the state's entry song, and/or vote for the song itself. As in American Idol or X Factor. That could be a series of programmes, then you have the competition itself.

It's clearly transferable to the States. Each state selects it's act during the first few months of the year, by whatever means it likes. It can have a one-off contest, turn it into an X Factor style mini-series, the public might or might not be involved, that's up to the states themselves.

50 is too many for the contest, so as with Eurovision, there would be a random split into 2 semis of 25 (alternatively do it geographically, East and West). People at home vote for their favourites (maybe all 50 states can vote on the semis, maybe only those involved in each semi) and those with the most votes score points, just like Eurovision. Highest 12 points scores in each semi qualify for the final, plus the 13th placed state with the most points from either semi leaving 25 in the final. Same format for the final, leading to an overall winner. Simples.

Many people don't watch the Eurovision semis, just the final, so it's up to viewers how involved they get. But if doesn't have to take more than 3 nights over 1 week for the main event. Only issue would be diversity: Is a song from Oregon going to be very different to a song from Florida? The wonder of Eurovision is what passes for music in Montenegro and San Marino...

Finnish singer Riki Sorsa ("Reggae OK" in Eurovision 1981) says his cancer has spread and he has only weeks to live http://www.iltasanomat.fi/viihde/art-2000001150090.html

Riki Sorsa, not OK. Dead. Currently trying to find an obit.

See above. We share our pain on first semi final day.

In other Eurovision news.....Justin Timberlake will perform in the final.....I can hardly contain myself....

My favourite songs of the last few years:

2012: Estonia - Ott Lepland - Kuula. (6th)

2013: Malta - Gianluca - Tomorrow (8th)

2014: Austria - Conchita Wurst - Rise Like A Phoenix (1st)

2015: Estonia - Elina Born and Stig Rasta - Goodbye To Yesterday (7th)

Prior to the live performances and the semis, my current favourite is Poland. Meh. On this record, I'll maybe stick a fiver on them being top ten should they get through.

Prior to the live performances and the semis, my current favourite is Poland.

As the son of Pollacks, thank you!

The first part was shit barely any good acts. Also some Swedish that said he would kill himself if he lived before Abba.

In other Eurovision news.....Justin Timberlake will perform in the final.....I can hardly contain myself....

I see the Usa is trying to pawn off it's least talented on you like when Canada infect America with Beiber

I see the Usa is trying to pawn off it's least talented on you like when Canada infect America with Beiber

Is there a better promotion for his new song? He'll be on top of UK and Europe charts next week.....If this becomes a thing to global stars Eurovision will be just like any other talent show....

I don't have a favorite in semi 1.....just because I'm from Croatia doesn't mean I like the song (it's ok but nothing special). Hungary is going for gay community with cute guy muscle thing and Russia is an updated version of last year's winner...I like both songs and the Czech one

Is there a better promotion for his new song? He'll be on top of UK and Europe charts next week.....

Never fear: Aled will save you from Bieber! http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/its-official-aled-jones-beats-11160525

Is there a better promotion for his new song? He'll be on top of UK and Europe charts next week.....

Never fear: Aled will save you from Bieber! http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/its-official-aled-jones-beats-11160525

Oh god...Bieber looks like a retard even more now....there's no escape...if he dies he'll be celebrated as cultural hero and Canada will have a national mourning....

I'm glad we haven't participated since 1994. Most of the songs are crap and the contest costs a lot of money with no real economic returns. And for each of our 5 wins we had to rely on foreign artists. How does that promote the country?

I'm glad we haven't participated since 1994. Most of the songs are crap and the contest costs a lot of money with no real economic returns. And for each of our 5 wins we had to rely on foreign artists. How does that promote the country?

Come what may, it'd be nice to see you back. :D

GO SWEDEN! BEST HOSTS EVER! :D

By the way, I have to warn you guys for the final on Saturday: Our entry is a real sleeping pill; this is because we simply can't afford to host the event twice in a row so don't expect a mindblowingly awesome song like we most of the time have.

Semi finals were a bit lame.....especially the 2nd semi...pure torture (exception: Bulgaria, Latvia and sadly Norway). I have no idea who could win. I hope not my country....top 5 is ok but not a win, we just can't afford it to host Eurovision. Why the fuck is Georgia in the final.....that wasn't even a song and the lights probably gave me brain cancer.

The 60 years of Eurovision documentary on BBC4 had archive footage of DDP favourites Teddy Johnson and Pearl Carr from back in 1959. Christ, they were shite.

During the last 10 years there has been only one good song.

Ten years? This lot then.

• Like 1

image.jpg

Just look at those ears! WOOF!

The best song tonight (last night) was the song that was sung by the hosts.

• Like 1

During the last 10 years there has been only one good song.

The Russian Grannies song is pretty good

• Like 1