40 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

I'm a frequent smoker myself, plus I often find myself chainsmoking these days too...

I did quit for a while but, like Toast said, I dont feel a proper benefit to it other than having saved 40/50 quid every month. Life just gets extra stressful.

What are you smoking if you’re only spending £40-£50 per month? I was doing that every week.

Jörn Donner smoked around 40 cigarettes from 1951 to 2006 and drank a lot of alcohol. He died right at the beginning of this year. Had three or four cancers, COPD and heart problems. 

Lived to 86

8 minutes ago, arghton said:

Jörn Donner smoked around 40 cigarettes from 1951 to 2006 and drank a lot of alcohol. He died right at the beginning of this year. Had three or four cancers, COPD and heart problems. 

Lived to 86

Not a very enjoyable way to suffer through many of those 86 years though, is it?

23 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Looks in decent health atm. 

June Brown is a heavy smoker  and still breathing at 93.

This accounts for why June Brown is still with us.

She's smoked since she was 16 (77 years) BUT doesn't inhale. This was also true of the UK's "oldest smoker", Winnie Langley who died aged 102 in 2010.

Asides from that, Brown follows a diet, does Tibetan exercises every morning, only has the occasional drink, and takes 14 supplements/vitamins a day.

So not exactly the binge drinking, chain smoking coffin dodger we're often led to believe she is.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

She's smoked since she was 16 (77 years) BUT doesn't inhale. This was also true of the UK's "oldest smoker", Winnie Langley who died aged 102 in 2010.

A lot of people say that ...... ;)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, time said:

What are you smoking if you’re only spending £40-£50 per month? I was doing that every week.

It was a lot more beforehand. Been trying to limit myself to 3-4 a day. So if a pack of B&M blue costs 9 quid and lasts about 5 days then potentially I'm buying 5/6 packs a month - which equates to about 45/54 quid p/month

I’m only a social smoker, I count myself quite lucky that on a day-to-day basis I can take cigs or leave them, so I leave them. And spend the money saved on something healthy, like wine.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, nothingtolose said:

Try the sad emoticon.

The one with two big fat fucking teardrops under the eyes you melt....

Where's that then? This is what I get when I hit the emoticon button.

image.png.9ec08b9e9c17be6f682c737514606fc1.png

image.png.daaaa45bdb6c2524484e4aa09bd90708.png

11 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

It was a lot more beforehand. Been trying to limit myself to 3-4 a day. So if a pack of B&M blue costs 9 quid and lasts about 5 days then potentially I'm buying 5/6 packs a month - which equates to about 45/54 quid p/month

Ok, that would work. I was on more or less a pack a day @ approx £7.00. No matter how much I kidded myself that I'd cut down, I never did until I decided to quit and wore the patches.

23 minutes ago, time said:

No matter how much I kidded myself that I'd cut down, I never did until I decided to quit and wore the patches.

I just stopped buying them.  If I don't have any, I can't smoke them.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I did that the first time I packed in (patches weren't a thing in those days) but the most recent time I'd get pissed off with work/someone at work/something else equally inconsequential, bum one off someone then buy a pack on my way home. Then someone gave me two cartons when they came back from holiday (never look a gifthorse etc.).

2 minutes ago, time said:
10 minutes ago, Toast said:

I did that the first time I packed in (patches weren't a thing in those days) but the most recent time I'd get pissed off with work/someone at work/something else equally inconsequential, bum one off someone then buy a pack on my way home. Then someone gave me two cartons when they came back from holiday (never look a gifthorse etc.).

Yeah.  I gave up once before, for about three months, and then smoked one as a reward/celebration of a personal achievement.  From this I learned that I can't have just one occasional smoke, as that becomes ever more frequent.  

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Where's that then? This is what I get when I hit the emoticon button.

image.png.9ec08b9e9c17be6f682c737514606fc1.png

image.png.daaaa45bdb6c2524484e4aa09bd90708.png

It's on the right hand side where the grey heart is. You can choose like, thanks, sad, ha ha, face-palm and a few others. 

14 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

It's on the right hand side where the grey heart is. You can choose like, thanks, sad, ha ha, face-palm and a few others. 

Those are reactions  (to other people's posts).  I was talking about emoticons that we can include in our own posts.

The 'sad' reaction doesn't have "two big fat fucking teardrops under the eyes" as described by Deat  nothingtolose anyway.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, time said:

Ok, that would work. I was on more or less a pack a day @ approx £7.00. No matter how much I kidded myself that I'd cut down, I never did until I decided to quit and wore the patches.

On one of my failed attempts to stop, I tried patches.  Fuck me pink, the dreams I had were unbelievable, I'd be casually walking down the street stabbing people or shooting them.  They felt so real when I woke up I thought I'd actually done it.

2 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

On one of my failed attempts to stop, I tried patches.  Fuck me pink, the dreams I had were unbelievable, I'd be casually walking down the street stabbing people or shooting them.  They felt so real when I woke up I thought I'd actually done it.

The only thing I got was a slight feeling of nausea when I first started with them. I’m not sure I’d have appreciated those sort of dreams

11 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

I can smugly say I have never smoked a single cigarette in my life! :D

I do drink like a fish though ! :mellow:

I never took it up however I did buy a Cuban cigar once smoked it in about half an hour made me feel somewhat ill...

To illustrate how big a surprise the death of Diana Rigg was for me. She was not one of the 1500 names on my long list.

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

Anyone who smokes is basically worse than Hitler.

Reductio ad Hitlerum   That is a lazy, lazy, lazy post Arsewipe. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Reductio ad Hitlerum   That is a lazy, lazy, lazy post Arsewipe. 

And an unnecessary use of "basically".

54 minutes ago, Arsewipe said:

Anyone who smokes is basically worse than Hitler.

Nein nein nein!

Bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but cancer of the tongue and associated treatments this year was a great aid in me giving up:D

• Shocked 1

On 30/05/2020 at 01:50, msc said:

Jean Marsh (full time acting career ending in 2015 by massive stroke she wasn't meant to survive, but bounced back from)

Have been told that the great Jean Marsh is now in much frailer heath after that stroke and also suffering a heart attack in recent years. She is also unable to reply to fan mail.

• Sad 3