Sign in to follow this  
DevonDeathTrip

Sir Nicholas Winton

He bucks the rend of the good always dying young.Maybe he should get the number 1 spot next year?

He bucks the rend of the good always dying young.Maybe he should get the number 1 spot next year?

Well, either that or he liked to party with Grevil Janner

¡Dale!, Winton

Little joke for our Latin American readers there.

Sad news a true legend, thought he would go on forever, always thought it was funny how when i looked at his Wiki page that the 'young' Children he saved were now either dead themselves or were in there late 80's or 90's.

Legend and truly a great British hero, who had a well deserved long life. RIP.

Now that is a sad loss. He lived a long life and perhaps outlived many of those that he saved.

Guest Guest

Why was he not on the DeathList? He would have been a better candidate than many that are on it this year.

Very sad to hear this although I am of course not surprised.Why he wasn`t on DL baffles me!

Sad to see him go but at 106 years of life you can't really complain. Someone who earned his lifespan for sure. :rip:

• Like 2

Sir Winton made hit #10 for my personnal list and we are just at the half to the year :evil2:

thanks to him & RIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33350880

Sir Nicholas Winton, who organised the rescue of 669 children destined for Nazi concentration camps, has died aged 106.

Bit difficult to sell this one to the kiddies isn't it. Half of them are completely flummoxed by words as long as "organised", and the other half, after a lifetime of assembly talks from Owen Jones, now firmly believe that rabid nutters who wanna kill Jews are our friends and "that's just their culture" and "we just have to respect that", so they'll be thinkin' he was a big old killjoy who was always bloody interfering! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wonder if he's a prominent first victim of the heat wave... I wondered whether that might cause a couple of low hanging fruits to drop, so to say...

This is truly upsetting for me, was a giant inspiration to me for his immeasurable modesty.

RIP.

• Like 1

Gone too soon he died way too young

• Like 5

very sad. He was a example for me. what a shame he did not get the Nobel Prize. for Peace.

• Like 2

Well it would have been deeply disrespectful to have said so while he was alive but, perhaps, now it can be said.

Didn't he have absolutely fucking HUGE ears!!!!!!!!!!!

If we didn't know better we would have assumed that his mother had been given a good rogering by Dumbo.

winton4_2917263c_zpsdadamm8a.jpg

Times obit for Vera Gissing, Czech-born British writer, aged 93.

One of the 669 children saved by Sir Nicholas Winton during WWII. She was the one who appeared directly next to Winton in the audience on the That's Life episode in '88.

• Like 4

Random resurrection of old thread but my wife took me to see One Life last night (because she likes Johnny Flynn) but I came on here to learn some more.

The film was slightly dull but successfully had me crying at the That’s Life reunion and also made me aware of the story which was heroic.

• Like 2