Magere Hein

Death In The Family

Awful news young'un, but a long life is a life well lived, not to be mourned, but rather remembered and celebrated. I'll bet he was chuffed to see his great grandchildren born and on their way before he passed away.

He will be in the hearts and minds of many for a long time. Peace be with you.

If MK lives in my area of the country his great grandad could have been as young as 52 (even if we assume 18 or over to be generous to these people then 72s a possibility - hardly an exceptionally long life.

I think he said he was nearly 90. Sure I checked that.

I send the best to you and your family, MK. Indeed it sounds like he had a nicely lived life.

Today I've received some rough news myself, that my grandmother has an aggressive cancer, so likely she won't be around that much longer. It's rough news to take in, but I can take solace in the fact I'll be prepared for her inevitable passing, and that she's attained a respectable age (currently 86). She now lives out of state so not quite as easy to visit as she was previously, but I'll be visiting her in a few days, likely for the last time. :(

Goodness, bad news amongst us these days. This will be a very special Christmas season, give her the best one she can possibly have and let her know you love her. My thoughts as always are with you DI.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear it MK; my ex-wife's grandmother passed on Christmas Eve as well like 10 years ago. You never forget them.

DI that's terrible news as I lived that scenario with my mother last January, so feel ya.

SC

Awful news young'un, but a long life is a life well lived, not to be mourned, but rather remembered and celebrated. I'll bet he was chuffed to see his great grandchildren born and on their way before he passed away.

He will be in the hearts and minds of many for a long time. Peace be with you.

If MK lives in my area of the country his great grandad could have been as young as 52 (even if we assume 18 or over to be generous to these people then 72s a possibility - hardly an exceptionally long life.

My dad was a grandad at 38 and a great grandad at 61. I am fortunate enough at the age of 42 to still have three out of four grandparents still going, albeit riddled with dementia and after effects of stroke and various cancers. This also means that my 2 year old great niece still has three out of four great great grandparents.

My dad was a grandad at 38 and a great grandad at 61. I am fortunate enough at the age of 42 to still have three out of four grandparents still going, albeit riddled with dementia and after effects of stroke and various cancers. This also means that my 2 year old great niece still has three out of four great great grandparents.

If the bolded part were true, it might explain a few things, but I think you made a mistake there.

I send the best to you and your family, MK. Indeed it sounds like he had a nicely lived life.

Today I've received some rough news myself, that my grandmother has an aggressive cancer, so likely she won't be around that much longer. It's rough news to take in, but I can take solace in the fact I'll be prepared for her inevitable passing, and that she's attained a respectable age (currently 86). She now lives out of state so not quite as easy to visit as she was previously, but I'll be visiting her in a few days, likely for the last time. :(

sorry for the unfortunate news hopefully she'll live to see 2016.

If the bolded part were true, it might explain a few things, but I think you made a mistake there.

Oh yes. We are from Wiltshire, mind. You know what I mean though. It's early and I haven't had my crumpets yet!

• Like 1

Just received the news that my godmother died on New Year's Eve from cancer at 74. She and my godfather live in Plymouth, so it's unlikely with my heart condition I'll make the funeral. Sad news to receive.

Just received the news that my godmother died on New Year's Eve from cancer at 74. She and my godfather live in Plymouth, so it's unlikely with my heart condition I'll make the funeral. Sad news to receive.

Ah sorry, my condolences...

I received a phone call from my father today that my step-grandmother died before christmas. There wasn't a lot of connection left after my grandfather died, and my step-relatives shielded him and then her off from the rest of the family. They also gave my grandfather the pitiest little funeral available and sucked every Euro out of him. We knew of her death more or less by accident. Hard to feel sorry after the past years.

• Like 1

Difficult one for you gcreptile, my thoughts are with you also.

Ah sorry, my condolences...

I received a phone call from my father today that my step-grandmother died before christmas. There wasn't a lot of connection left after my grandfather died, and my step-relatives shielded him and then her off from the rest of the family. They also gave my grandfather the pitiest little funeral available and sucked every Euro out of him. We knew of her death more or less by accident. Hard to feel sorry after the past years.

Having had similar stuff go on, I wouldn't dignify such people with the term of relatives. I would be referring to her as my grandfather's widow.

Sorry to hear that, YW. My godmother is a treasure, sadly her husband won't be with us much longer for similar reasons.

• Like 1

my condolences btw what heart condition do you have.
  • Like 1

Thanks, MK and Toast. I had a heart attack on 8 January 2015, on the pills for life. Not famous enough for an obit, I'll not feel certain about travelling for a good while yet.

Sending coping vibes your way Willz. You keep taking care of that heart, we need to make 50 this year.

• Like 2

:-( hope you find peace and recall the best of memories. Sorry to hear Y-Dub

• Like 1

Thanks, MK and Toast. I had a heart attack on 8 January 2015, on the pills for life. Not famous enough for an obit, I'll not feel certain about travelling for a good while yet.

Everyone's got potential for an obit , got a grudge against your work colleagues ?

It's a long way to travel (to us) YW. If you don't make it don't stress. I'm sure she would want you to look after yourself.

• Like 1

Today was the 1st anniversary of my mother's death. I promise not to do this anymore, but I think 1 year is tolerable. Was spending time w my daughter and we did the releasing balloons thingy. I see I asked about Drop 40 unnesecarily and a couple other miscues. Alas, was gonna be one of those days. Beg my pardon.

anyway a decent day all around until bossman called and said I need to be 580 miles away by 8am tomorrow (15 hours from now, still haven't packed, no sleep)

SC

Today was the 1st anniversary of my mother's death. I promise not to do this anymore, but I think 1 year is tolerable. Was spending time w my daughter and we did the releasing balloons thingy. I see I asked about Drop 40 unnesecarily and a couple other miscues. Alas, was gonna be one of those days. Beg my pardon.

anyway a decent day all around until bossman called and said I need to be 580 miles away by 8am tomorrow (15 hours from now, still haven't packed, no sleep)

SC

Thinking of you and your family Sir Creep.

• Like 1

SC

18 January also the first anniversary of my brother's death. Thoughts with you.

Dad went up to the Hall of Remembrance. I just had some personal moments today. My aunt in America was around this time last year too.

SC

Dad went up to the Hall of Remembrance. I just had some personal moments today. My aunt in America was around this time last year too.

I was too chicken to post last week. Wednesday was a year ago for Nana. No one remembered but me. Oh well. A little late, my thoughts are with you both.

Aww, and with you RC, I remember your kind words from last year.

• Like 1

SC

I remember that now. Well we are kindred spirits, and hopefully so are our relatives.

SC

SC

I was too chicken to post last week. Wednesday was a year ago for Nana. No one remembered but me. Oh well. A little late, my thoughts are with you both.

And today is a year for my great-grannie. What a terrible week this was last year :(

Terrible for celebrities this year, so it's all balancing out. Thoughts with you RadGuy.

What a gift actually meeting a great grandparent!

Sounds like a good long life. Still it's not easy, RadGuy. Peace

SC

On 19/01/2016 at 13:35, Sir Creep said:

What a gift actually meeting a great grandparent!

Sounds like a good long life. Still it's not easy, RadGuy. Peace

SC

My great-gran died when I was ten. (I had three others, of course, but they all died in their 70s so well before my time!) I remember her quite well, she was a wee dotty old woman.

She got to the age of 96, looked after five generations of her own family, and lived independently right up to the end - she died a few days after a sudden massive stroke. Some woman! I was lucky to get a chance to know her.

Thoughts with you both though: anniversaries hit us even with the passage of time. It'll soon be three years since my uncle died aged 48. I've often replayed the last time I saw him - Christmas Day 2012 - in my head, and how he gave us a lift home. He looked like he had a cold (he had a heart attack a few weeks later) but then what can you do? That's life for you. My daughter never got to meet him, which is the worst bit of it, as they'd have got on like a house on fire.