Magere Hein

Death In The Family

What a gift actually meeting a great grandparent!

Sounds like a good long life. Still it's not easy, RadGuy. Peace

SC

My great-gran died when I was ten. (I had three others, of course, but they all died in their 70s so well before my time!) I remember her quite well, she was a wee dotty old woman who loved The Simpsons of all things, once burned a turkey in the oven, and liked to pretend to be deafer than she was for comedic effect! Apparently she was quite a terror when gran and co were younger, but I caught her in her autumn, so to speak.

She got to the age of 96, looked after five generations of her own family, and lived independently right up to the end - she died a few days after a sudden massive stroke. Some woman! I was lucky to get a chance to know her.

Thoughts with you both though: anniversaries hit us even with the passage of time. It'll soon be three years since my uncle died aged 48. I've often replayed the last time I saw him - Christmas Day 2012 - in my head, and how he gave us a lift home. He looked like he had a cold (he had a heart attack a few weeks later) but then what can you do? That's life for you. My daughter never got to meet him, which is the worst bit of it, as they'd have got on like a house on fire.

Thoughts to all. Anniversaries are a bummer.

• Like 1

What a gift actually meeting a great grandparent!

Sounds like a good long life. Still it's not easy, RadGuy. Peace

SC

My great-gran died when I was ten. (I had three others, of course, but they all died in their 70s so well before my time!) I remember her quite well, she was a wee dotty old woman who loved The Simpsons of all things, once burned a turkey in the oven, and liked to pretend to be deafer than she was for comedic effect! Apparently she was quite a terror when gran and co were younger, but I caught her in her autumn, so to speak.

She got to the age of 96, looked after five generations of her own family, and lived independently right up to the end - she died a few days after a sudden massive stroke. Some woman! I was lucky to get a chance to know her.

Thoughts with you both though: anniversaries hit us even with the passage of time. It'll soon be three years since my uncle died aged 48. I've often replayed the last time I saw him - Christmas Day 2012 - in my head, and how he gave us a lift home. He looked like he had a cold (he had a heart attack a few weeks later) but then what can you do? That's life for you. My daughter never got to meet him, which is the worst bit of it, as they'd have got on like a house on fire.

That sounds a lot like mine! Died when I was 13, looked over 5 generations (only one member of the fifth, who was born months before her death, but who cares about details?) and she died pretty suddenly too - her health (which was great) suddenly worsened and she lasted just over a week in the hospital.

Today was the 1st anniversary of my mother's death. I promise not to do this anymore, but I think 1 year is tolerable. Was spending time w my daughter and we did the releasing balloons thingy. I see I asked about Drop 40 unnesecarily and a couple other miscues. Alas, was gonna be one of those days. Beg my pardon.

anyway a decent day all around until bossman called and said I need to be 580 miles away by 8am tomorrow (15 hours from now, still haven't packed, no sleep)

SC

18 January also the first anniversary of my brother's death. Thoughts with you.

Dad went up to the Hall of Remembrance. I just had some personal moments today. My aunt in America was around this time last year too.

I was too chicken to post last week. Wednesday was a year ago for Nana. No one remembered but me. Oh well. A little late, my thoughts are with you both.

And today is a year for my great-grannie. What a terrible week this was last year :(

It sure was. Coming up on 30 years without my mum; the celebrities are kind enough to distract me from thinking on it too much. My thoughts are with you, too RG.

• Like 1

Today would have been my nan's 106th birthday. She had a good long life only really being ill for the last 2 or 3 months and lived until she was 91 but it doesn't stop you being reflective and I still miss her.

• Like 2

Not a death of a member of my family, but the long-term friend that I posted just a few short weeks ago lost his battle with cancer at the age of 53. He is survived by his wife and 2 sons.

Sorry to hear Phantom, and me being 52 I take more notice of posts about folks 'my age'. 53 too young.

SC

Sorry to hear Phantom, and me being 52 I take more notice of posts about folks 'my age'. 53 too young.

SC

Thank you SC. It hits hard when they're close to your own age. I am not that far behind turning 45 this Summer.

Phantom, you have my condolences. Long term friends can be like family (I have a couple who are more like brothers to me) and it doesn't mean you miss them any less than a family member. Peace, YW.

Not a death of a member of my family, but the long-term friend that I posted just a few short weeks ago lost his battle with cancer at the age of 53. He is survived by his wife and 2 sons.

Sorry to hear that. That it was expected doesn't make it better.

I happen to be 53; I completely agree.

We all knew it would have been a case of "any day now", but yes, it doesn't make it any easier.

losing your music icons and heores to cancer (eg. Lemmy and Bowie) is one thing, losing your friends and family to it is another thing altogether.

Condolences Phantom. Sending you coping vibes.

Please have my sympathies too, Phantom. Life shakes out badly for too many good folk.

We all knew it would have been a case of "any day now", but yes, it doesn't make it any easier.

losing your music icons and heores to cancer (eg. Lemmy and Bowie) is one thing, losing your friends and family to it is another thing altogether.

According to Diski, having cancer is better than sex...

Condolences phantom.

Very sorry to hear of your loss Phantom .53 is no age especially in today`s terms.I wish you ,your family and all the family of the your friend my very best in these horrific circumstances.

Thank you everyone for your support. In his honour and in lieu of having people send flowers, the money that they would have spent we're encouraging them to donate the money to his favourite charity.

Mrs Bearers sister died today. :-(

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes to Mrs Bearer and family.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes to Mrs Bearer and family.

Thoughts and best wishes.

• Like 1

I also add my condolences and trust the family's comfort and strength will carry you both through this time.

• Like 1

Condolences, at least you could finally get to live up to that username.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear that mate!Thoughts are with you and Mrs B at this time!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this. Just lost two close family friends in quick succession, so the bad news seems never ending just now.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this. Just lost two close family friends in quick succession, so the bad news seems never ending just now.

Big hugs and condolences to Toasty-lady.

May your loved ones rest in peace.

Best wishes. x