Magere Hein

Death In The Family

Many folk like myself were never lucky enough to know a great grandparent. Count your time with him here as a blessing MBK and thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

MK surely ?

A great grandad is something I find it hard to get my head around, indeed so is a grandparent full stop.

My sister is 5 years older than me and my mum was carrying her when the last of them died. I 'assume' her name was 'Mary' as that's my sisters middle name.

I couldn't tell you the other 3 grandparents names or even what decade they died in.

Great grandparents might've been dead before 1900 for all I know, WW 1 or the Spanish flu thing in '19 was it??

Anyroads, chin up MK, even though it is something I cannot begin to fathom.

well he did become a father when he was only 18 so theres that.
  • Like 1

Many folk like myself were never lucky enough to know a great grandparent. Count your time with him here as a blessing MBK and thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

MK surely ?

A great grandad is something I find it hard to get my head around, indeed so is a grandparent full stop.

My sister is 5 years older than me and my mum was carrying her when the last of them died. I 'assume' her name was 'Mary' as that's my sisters middle name.

I couldn't tell you the other 3 grandparents names or even what decade they died in.

Great grandparents might've been dead before 1900 for all I know, WW 1 or the Spanish flu thing in '19 was it??

Anyroads, chin up MK, even though it is something I cannot begin to fathom.

well he did become a father when he was only 18 so theres that.

Well that's certainly a factor. There's a woman at my work who became a grandmother when she was 38, both her own mother and grandmother are still alive. Her grandmother is in her mid 70s.

my Grandma died when I was 7 but she had been a widow for over 40 years my mum hardly knew her own father.

I met my Great Grandfather who was 88 when he died (I was like 3), but never my grandfather who was dead 3 years before I was born. Like him, my father drank himself to death in his forties. So my being 52, I'm the first male to make it past 50 in three generations.

SC

Ps: I was always told G-Granddad 'died putting on his pants'; the truth is he did that, fell and fractured his hip and was dead weeks later. Prior to that he was as spry as could be.

My great gran died in her 90s when I was ten. I remember her well, she was a big fan of pro-wrestling and The Simpsons! She was apparently quite a force of nature in her younger years but she was quite a quiet, cheery (and deaf!) old lady in my lifetime.

The last of my great grandparents died in 1952, one of my grandfathers died when I was 8, the other one I never met. Both my grans lived till they were 86 and 87 and passed away about 20 years ago.

Well, I'm MorbidKid's age, so it's no surprise that I still have one living great-grandmother (93) and a living step-great-grandmother (94). In January, a great-grandmother (almost 96) died. But that was the first of my great-grandparents to die in well over a decade.

My grandmas are aged 67 and 68. Grandpas 72 and 75. However, each of my grandparents except the youngest have January birthdays, so those numbers are about to change.

My parents weren't so lucky. Neither of them knew all of their grandparents, let alone great-grandparents. Life expectancy has skyrocketed in this family.

My daughter is the first member of her family (going back as far as we have records) to ever meet all four grandparents.

My daughter is the first member of her family (going back as far as we have records) to ever meet all four grandparents.

One sad thing about being an old man with a young child is that my daughter's grandparents were all in the ground before she was born, save for my mother who died this January. So she got to meet one granny and only for a little over 4 years. Now there are none. Seems wrong, that.

SC

I knew my grandparents and my great grandmother (I've mentioned her a couple of times). My children and I were very close to Nana who passed earlier this year. January was a tough month for many DL members. My parents passed young. My children never knew either of my parents, but two of them actually knew their great-great grandmother. Nannie and my second daughter were born 100 years apart. I still mourn mum, but I celebrate Nana. Grief is a process and different for each loss.

Sadly my great grandfather didn't make to Christmas. He died last night.

Condolences to you and your family.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss, shame he couldn't make it to to Christmas Day, my thoughts go out to you and your family RIP.

Very sorry to hear that Mobidkid.Thoughts go out to you and all your family at this sad time.How old was he ?

Sorry to hear. Condolences to you and your family.

Condolences MK.

Indeed. If you were close to him, it hurts.

Very sorry to hear that Mobidkid.Thoughts go out to you and all your family at this sad time.How old was he ?
if he lived until January he would have been 90.

Sorry for your loss, MK. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Awful news young'un, but a long life is a life well lived, not to be mourned, but rather remembered and celebrated. I'll bet he was chuffed to see his great grandchildren born and on their way before he passed away.

He will be in the hearts and minds of many for a long time. Peace be with you.

• Like 4

I send the best to you and your family, MK. Indeed it sounds like he had a nicely lived life.

Today I've received some rough news myself, that my grandmother has an aggressive cancer, so likely she won't be around that much longer. It's rough news to take in, but I can take solace in the fact I'll be prepared for her inevitable passing, and that she's attained a respectable age (currently 86). She now lives out of state so not quite as easy to visit as she was previously, but I'll be visiting her in a few days, likely for the last time. :(

Awful news young'un, but a long life is a life well lived, not to be mourned, but rather remembered and celebrated. I'll bet he was chuffed to see his great grandchildren born and on their way before he passed away.

He will be in the hearts and minds of many for a long time. Peace be with you.

If MK lives in my area of the country his great grandad could have been as young as 52 (even if we assume 18 or over to be generous to these people then 72s a possibility - hardly an exceptionally long life.