CaptainChorizo

Rob Ford

I can't decide whether to add him or not for 2016.

First, let's wait and see what that little "bump" was. If it's a recurrence of the cancer, that's bad enough, but if it's not resected within the next few weeks/months, it's likely terminal.

As SC said above, he has a "bad" type of liposarcoma (pleomorphic l.), with relatively high recurrence rates and aggressive behaviour, so definitely one to keep an eye on in 2016, regardless of the optimistic statements issued by those close to him. (Even if it's operated on again, he might end up like Hugo Chavez, with the cancer coming back after each surgery. His cancer type was never revealed, but suspected to be a soft-tissue sarcoma, like Rob's.)

First, let's wait and see what that little "bump" was. If it's a recurrence of the cancer, that's bad enough, but if it's not resected within the next few weeks/months, it's likely terminal.

As SC said above, he has a "bad" type of liposarcoma (pleomorphic l.), with relatively high recurrence rates and aggressive behaviour, so definitely one to keep an eye on in 2016, regardless of the optimistic statements issued by those close to him. (Even if it's operated on again, he might end up like Hugo Chavez, with the cancer coming back after each surgery. His cancer type was never revealed, but suspected to be a soft-tissue sarcoma, like Rob's.)

The 5-year survival rate of this type of cancer is 54%, as I have read on a website today. Now, one has to adjust that average value for Rob Ford's specifics. He's young, but also has a drug history and is overweight. Plus, there is a minor risk of an infection with lethal complications. My guess that Ford has a 5-year survival probability of 40%. But we're interested in the next 14 months, and that probability of survival is much higher. I can only guess... about 60-66%? And then you have to decide if Rob Ford's good 10 points are worth betting on a 33-40% chance, and this chance grows or declines with whatever problem Ford has right now.

The 5-year survival rate of this type of cancer is 54%, as I have read on a website today. Now, one has to adjust that average value for Rob Ford's specifics. He's young, but also has a drug history and is overweight. Plus, there is a minor risk of an infection with lethal complications. My guess that Ford has a 5-year survival probability of 40%. But we're interested in the next 14 months, and that probability of survival is much higher. I can only guess... about 60-66%? And then you have to decide if Rob Ford's good 10 points are worth betting on a 33-40% chance, and this chance grows or declines with whatever problem Ford has right now.
Yeah, I agree with most of what you say. But one should definitely be on the look for more comments from him, his bro or the medical team, because the median (survival time) rarely gives you the full picture.

For example, if it's a local recurrence in the buttocks, it might be resected again without having to worry about serious complications. If it's the abdomen, it might be trickier, depending on the site of recurrence (remember, he needed chemo to shrink it first, cause it was in a bad place). And if we are talking about distant metastasis (-es), the prognosis is considerably worse.

PLS has a high (>50%) risk of metastasis, primarily to the lungs. Metastasis is rapid, often leading to death.

• Like 2

Guest guest
Doug Ford, brother of Former Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, says his brother is 'in excruciating pain' after new tumor found - @SimonOstler

It has been a hell of a rise in no time at all.

2010 - elected

2013 - scandals which bring him to a world audience

2014 - cancer, resigns

2015 - cancer spreads

2016 - dies

He's basically fit a political career of 25-30 years into about three or four years, there.

• Like 2

Well, I'm adding him. Heck, I'll put him

in the top 3 with Howard Marks, Jimmy Carter, Martin Crowe (presuming one of them will die).

This must be the first ever spread he didn't like.

• Like 4

It is also highly unusual for this sort of cancer to spread to the tissue around the urinary bladder and probably indicative of the presence of highly aggressive malignant neoplasms in his system IMHO.

I'm 90% sure he's going in my DDP squad.

• Like 1

It is also highly unusual for this sort of cancer to spread to the tissue around the urinary bladder and probably indicative of the presence of highly aggressive malignant neoplasms in his system IMHO.

I'm 90% sure he's going in my DDP squad.

/me nods.

That's quite bad news... Well, in retrospect, there was a bit too much optimism in the papers, when he was operated on with the earlier tumours (abdomen, buttocks).

The tumour in his abdomen was "in a bad place" initially, that's why he needed some chemo to shrink it, but I guess it only became "marginally resectable", and it couldn't have been excised with (sufficiently) wide margins.

I reckon he will need to go under the knife again, if he and the medical team are still hoping for a cure, cause chemotherapy alone is not a long term solution for liposarcoma.

Btw. he can only feature in the 2016 DDP teams if he makes the starting line... And that's not guaranteed, if something goes wrong with the next surgery, he might be toast before January.

Edited by GossipGabe

Christ!I should think he will be on everyone`s list if he hangs in there long enough.

Yeh, back.

Back to work for one day.

Next 5 day chemo stint starts today. I think he's a long way go go yet to see the year out.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/06/rob-ford-run-mayor-toronto-2018-crack-fight

Planning to run for mayor again in 2018.Ted Kennedy had similar plans in 2009 and he died that year I am pretty sure Rob Ford jinxed himself.

If he makes it that long, he'll die of shame that only 0.2% of people voted for him.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/06/rob-ford-run-mayor-toronto-2018-crack-fight

Planning to run for mayor again in 2018.

If he makes it that long, he'll die of shame that only 0.2% of people voted for him.

He is still popular outside the downtown core (watched a news report about it). Even posthumously he'd do better than 0.2%...just sayin'.