maryportfuncity

Authors Last A Long Time, But....

Just now, TomTomTelekom said:

Ashley Bryan, author of children's books that focus on the African-American experience, died at 98 years:

https://ashleybryancenter.org/

He received the The Laura Ingalls Award in 2009 and is most famous for works such as Dancing Granny and Beautiful Blackbird.

@TomTomTelekom Hahaha both

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gisooo said:

American writer and children's books illustrator Ashley Bryan died at 98

https://ashleybryancenter.org/

:clivedunn:

One of you putzes could have mentioned “as a soldier, Bryan survived D-Day in France during World War II”.

• Angry 1

20 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

:clivedunn:

One of you putzes could have mentioned “as a soldier, Bryan survived D-Day in France during World War II”.

He was known for the work we mention. Why the hell do you call us putzes, we are not putzes. Shut your mouth and do not irritate my nerves, who do you think you are?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Following an episode of Pointless I watched the other week where the players in final failed to win the jackpot with an absolute sitter of a category for me (Hugo Best Novel Award Winning Authors) I decided to research the other categories that were offered First Up:

Everyman Bollinger Wodehouse Prize Winners

2000      Howard Jacobson (b.1942)

2001      Jonathan Coe (b.1961)

2002      Michael Frayn (b.1933)

2003      D.B.C. Pierre (b.1961)

2004      Jasper Fforde (b.1961)

2005      Marina Lewycka (b.1946)

2006      Christopher Brookmyre (b.1968)

2008      Will Self (b.1961)

2009      Geoff Dyer (b.1958)

2010      Ian McEwen (b.1948)

2011      Gary Shteyngart (b.1972)

2014      Edward St. Aubyn (b.1960)

2015      Alexander McCall Smith (b.1948)

2016      Paul Murray (b.1975)

2017      Helen Fielding (b.1958)

2018      Nina Stibbe (b.1962)

2020      Matthew Dooley (b.????)

2021      Guy Kennaway (b.????)

Michael Frayn and Howard Jacobson are on my radar anyway but barring  any severe ill health issues most of the others will not bother us in the near future.

One of the more recent winners doesn't even have his own wiki page

• Like 2

American writer Tom Veitch (Wikidead at 80, know for his work in the comic book industry. He was also brother of comic visual artist Rick Veitch (Wiki)

• Like 1

Very very late with this one but have just found out via a dedication in another book that horror anthologist Hugh Lamb (who edited hundreds of ghost and horror collections from the 70s through to the 00s) died in 2019 off the radar.  Know a few other fans of those books on here. Didn't' seem to publicise his death at the time.

Hugh Lamb | 46 years of Vintage Horrors | Ghost Stories - Hugh Lamb

Victorian-Tales-of-Terror-2019-1.jpg

Report of the death of Andy Remic, author of thrillers and science fiction such as Spiral and A Song For No Man's Land

Wrote text adventures for the ZX Spectrum as a child, so I'm guessing he was mid-50s, maybe slightly older? Twitter indicates he had been very ill.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6146368/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Report of the death of Andy Remic, author of thrillers and science fiction such as Spiral and A Song For No Man's Land

Wrote text adventures for the ZX Spectrum as a child, so I'm guessing he was mid-50s, maybe slightly older? Twitter indicates he had been very ill.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6146368/

I believe he'd only just turned 50 a few months ago?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

I believe he'd only just turned 50 a few months ago?

So writing stuff for the Spectrum aged 8 or 9 approx?

Jesus. Well, he packed a lot in.

AF5EF8AF-871B-40B7-A359-0B2CF73B9212.jpeg

My kids loved the Alfie books and I loved reading them to them. Thank you Shirley. RIP.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Dogger was my go to book as a child and, later, I loved reading it to my own children.  RIP Shirley Hughes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Dogger was my go to book as a child and, later, I loved reading it to my own children.  RIP Shirley Hughes.

A book with that title would be a completely different genre these days!

• Facepalm 1

Duvall Hecht, founder of Books on Tape, has died at 91.

He debuted books on tape with four titles, including “Paper Lion: Confessions of a Last-String Quarterback”, in George Plimpton’s 1966 attempt to play for the Detroit Lions. account of, and “Zelda”. Nancy Mitford’s 1970 biography of Zelda Fitzgerald.

While studying for a bachelor’s degree in journalism, he was recruited for the Stanford rowing team; He excelled enough to earn a place competing for the United States in Helsinki in 1952, shortly after graduation. He and his teammate James Pfeiffer competed in coxed pairs, with each rower using an oar on either side of the boat, driven by a coxswain. He did not get any medal.

Mr Hecht entered the Marines, where he was a fighter pilot, but this time continued his training in rowing for the 1956 Summer Games in Melbourne, Australia. He and Mr. Pfeiffer won gold in pairs, this time without coxswain, beating the favorite Soviet team by eight seconds.

SC

(Edit: I see now Hecht was posted a few days back in Summer Olympics thread - an obit that surprisingly never mentions he was the founder of Books on Tape.  At all.  The hell??  Anyway I guess it goes to show it matters what source you find the obit from.  As it was I didn’t notice the Olympic gokd until editing the obit and … well there you have it).

12 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

(Edit: I see now Hecht was posted a few days back in Summer Olympics thread - an obit that surprisingly never mentions he was the founder of Books on Tape.  At all.  The hell??  Anyway I guess it goes to show it matters what source you find the obit from.  As it was I didn’t notice the Olympic gokd until editing the obit and … well there you have it).

I posted it, along with two links which offered more details including the books on tape - visible in the link. 

On 15/12/2021 at 19:25, arghton said:
On 12/12/2021 at 22:45, arghton said:

I'll try to make a list of the living ones on this list soon, lots of notable folks there getting on in years

Here (list of best-selling fiction authors):

Kyotaro Nishimura (1930-) 200M or under, Mystery

Kyotaro Nishimura, prominent Japanese novelist known for his travel mystery series dead at 91 from liver cancer.

5519236.jpg.09a081979bb69ceff5f37504fa8a6d54.jpg

• Like 2

American deaf author and historian Jack R. Gannon (Wikidead at 85

Being deaf since age eight, he had chronicled the history and culture of Deaf people and organizations around the world, most notably in his 1981 book Deaf Heritage

www.gallaudet.edu/images/Main/History-Tradition...

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

American deaf author and historian Jack R. Gannon (Wikidead at 85

Being deaf since age eight, he had chronicled the history and culture of Deaf people and organizations around the world, most notably in his 1981 book Deaf Heritage

www.gallaudet.edu/images/Main/History-Tradition...

Somebody has to say it. I've never heard of him!:D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Redrumours said:

Somebody has to say it. I've never heard of him!:D

Well there is always a first time :D

• Like 1

Interview with occasionally-discussed-on-here author Jacqueline Wilson. Again reiterates she's living on "borrowed time" and regularly feels exhausted, but her 114th novel is out now. Not much to gain from that piece though, as the journo clearly wanted to get her to say either "cancel culture good" or "cancel culture bad" and she's too smart for it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Interview with occasionally-discussed-on-here author Jacqueline Wilson. Again reiterates she's living on "borrowed time" and regularly feels exhausted, but her 114th novel is out now. Not much to gain from that piece though, as the journo clearly wanted to get her to say either "cancel culture good" or "cancel culture bad" and she's too smart for it.

Never been a massive fan of her work (thankfully my daughter rejected her friends Tracy Beaker obsessions) but she is always good value on the interview circuit. She is a big figure in Children's literature and I probably need to get her on my theme team

• Like 1

My theme team Joker Penelope Lively is being interviewed at the Oxford Literary Festival tomorrow.

Which does not look good for my chances for 2022 but she is being interviewed by Chris Pattern so his overwhelming toadiness might cause her to die or pure revulsion

I am sure that all your requests for another list of literary award winners have been going into my spam box because I don't seem to have received any but do not fear I have (out of the kindness of my heart) compiled the 10 earliest surviving winners of the W. Somerset Maugham award which is given to "Young writers" to encourage them to travel. Famous names who were previous recipients included Nigel Kneale and John Le Carre. Multiple awards can be made in a single year and all of the top 10 were from at least 50 years ago

W Somerset Maugham Award Winners

1957      George Lamming (b.1927)

1966      Julian Mitchell (b.1935)

Michael Frayn (b.1933)

1968      Paul Bailey (b.1937)

1970      Jane Gaskell (b.1941)

Piers Paul Read (b.1941)

1971      Richard Barber (b.1941)

Susan Hill (b.1941)

1972      Gillian Tindall (b.1938)

Douglas Dunn (b.1942)

Michael Frayn has already been on my radar but the other significant name on there is Dame Susan Hill

You are welcome!