YoungWillz

The EU Referendum Hokey Cokey

Parliament will get a vote to rule out no deal.

Changes the goalposts to require parliament to vote for a no deal Brexit rather than it happening automatically. 

It's highly unlikely parliament would vote for a no deal Brexit.  In essence this rules out no deal Brexit by any other name.

43 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Changes the goalposts to require parliament to vote for a no deal Brexit rather than it happening automatically. 

It's highly unlikely parliament would vote for a no deal Brexit.  In essence this rules out no deal Brexit by any other name.

Agree - and of course once a No Deal Brexit is eliminated then the likelihood of any Brexit at all is weakened. Which will put the JRM gang in a tricky spot when it comes to voting on TM's new deal (same as last one) as this may be the only Brexit they have a chance of getting now.

Now where's my yellow jacket.........................

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Deathray said:

So, basically, the EU will just offer us any shit deal they want, we then reject it and the EU says that it is their final offer.

As we will now not leave without a deal we then end up staying in limbo with us paying those tossers billions a year ( as we have not actually left) and no right to vote on anything within the remit of EU business because, as the EU have pointed out already, we are leaving so we cannot have a say on future policy etc.

This is brilliant news for them, they get £38 odd billion a year for ever and ever and we remain in a straitjacket.

5 hours ago, Deathray said:

Why 'no', it doesn't.

Small print is a great thing, they vote the extension and that takes it to June. Where leaving without a deal happens automatically if no deal is arranged.

Wouldn't count my chickens that the extension is voted for :) , May might just have bowled the cuntos a Leg Brex.

1 hour ago, charon said:

Why 'no', it doesn't.

Small print is a great thing, they vote the extension and that takes it to June. Where leaving without a deal happens automatically if no deal is arranged.

Wouldn't count my chickens that the extension is voted for :) , May might just have bowled the cuntos a Leg Brex.

MPs are putting an awful lot of trust in someone who has shown she can change her mind if the wind is not blowing in her direction.

This was just to prevent the Cooper/Boles/Letwin ammendment from being put forward.

No-one is happy

• Like 1

Prime Minister May loses the latest vote by 149 votes BBC News Channel reports.

• Like 1

Interesting :)

• Like 1

On 16/11/2018 at 08:16, runebomme said:

this is how we will look when the food starts running out

Image result for brexit may

Fuck sake, it's not that many weeks later and she looked and sounded dire tonight. She looked way better when we were mocking her for looking bad in November. She's clearly got a bet on with Philip Hammond about who can grow the biggest eye bags.

• Like 2

Sir-Humphrey-Appleby.jpg

The Prime Minister has asked me to word the motion for tonight's vote.

The government motion for debate is:

That this House declines to approve leaving the European Union without a Withdrawal Agreement and a Framework for the Future Relationship on 29 March 2019; and notes that leaving without a deal remains the default in UK and EU law unless this House and the EU ratify an agreement.

• Like 1

Wait, we're not accepting the only deal on the table.

But we're not leaving without a deal either?

So what the fuck are we doing? Back to the electorate?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Wait, we're not accepting the only deal on the table.

But we're not leaving without a deal either?

So what the fuck are we doing? Back to the electorate?

Tune In.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

However, on a serious note. At this time, the U.K. will leave (with or without an agreement) on the 29th March at 2300hrs GMT, irrespective of all the voting taking place in parliament at the moment.

The only legal alternative to this is if we ask the E.U. for a delay. All 27 other states have to agree to a delay; if just one says 'no', there will be no delay and we leave irrespective of whether a deal is in place or not.

4 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

However, on a serious note. At this time, the U.K. will leave (with or without an agreement) on the 29th March at 2300hrs GMT, irrespective of all the voting taking place in parliament at the moment.

The only legal alternative to this is if we ask the E.U. for a delay. All 27 other states have to agree to a delay; if just one says 'no', there will be no delay and we leave irrespective of whether a deal is in place or not.

"All 27 other states have to agree to a delay"

That is not happening half at best

• Like 2

It's got to the point that some "no deal" Brexiters have recently been lobbying various EU leaders to ask them not to agree to an  extension or delay...

The ultimate question is whether any EU countries are so pissed off with us that they would refuse the extension, at whatever economic cost to themselves and their neighbours.

13 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

There is the 3rd option of course. 

Have the Commons vote in favour of revoking Article 50.

imo once the EU says fuck off to a delay, as they will,  there'll be a Commons majority for that over no deal. More so than for Meaningful Votes III, IV and V....

I speak in fact, not necessarily opinion, but we all know this route will trigger a long LFN post before day's end... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually, today's amendments point the way forward.

May's deal will be killed off in Chris "DDP 2020?" Bryant's "kill off May's deal forever and ever" amendment almost certainly. Given its already suffered the 1st and 2nd worst parliamentary government defeats in recorded history.

The 2nd Ref amendment isn't being supported by Labour as they think it will fail today regardless, but might pass next week if the Tories block every Brexit idea with Jeremy Corbyn's name on it. As if!

Which, given Parli voted against No Deal, means they'll surely vote in favour of exploring deals that aren't May's deal (Benn's amendment). So in the next week, non-Mays put together Brexit plans to vote on, they likely all get shot down, and since the Commons don't want No Deal, that leaves 2 options:

1. Revoke Article 50. I think they''ve already shown they'd rather buck that responsibility.

2. Some sort of Referendum with 3 choices: Leave on no deal, Leave on whatever deal there is, Remain in the EU.

At which point everyone bickers, but I think 2 could get an Article 50 extension as it would lead to a solution to the deadlock, and it would piss off Nigel Farage - presumably 2 big vote getters in the EU. :P

And before anyone moans, no idea how a second Ref would go. Maybe the Brexit mood has hardened, maybe people are fucked off hearing about it and just want a quiet life for a bit, dunno.

Two other possibilities

1. EU are fucked off and block any route other than Mays deal or no deal. Crash out on 29th. Could happen, but it'd be economically devastating to the other EU countries right before elections as much as the UK, so... very very unwise. 70% chance given lateness of the hour.

2. Labour somehow come up with a deal next week everyone loves, and Jeremy Corbyn sells it to the EU, takes us out, and becomes a national hero to the 52%. Aye, and I could win the lottery and sleep with Mila Kunis while pigs fly and dinosaurs show up in the Congo. Negative percentage chance of happening.

Right, don't worry, back to being apolitical now! :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, msc said:

There is the 3rd option of course. 

Have the Commons vote in favour of revoking Article 50.

imo once the EU says fuck off to a delay, as they will,  there'll be a Commons majority for that over no deal. More so than for Meaningful Votes III, IV and V....

I speak in fact, not necessarily opinion, but we all know this route will trigger a long LFN post before day's end... :D

It won't.

I no longer give a fuck.

• Haha 2

Quite why an amendment was attempted to get a second referendum today is beyond me; the timing's all wrong. Small wonder it was rejected. Now they've voted to extend Article 50, we have time to discuss other options (if it's granted, of course), while contingency plans can be worked on by Liam Fox to get the ball rolling on as many continuity trade deals as possible in the event of an no-deal-oh-fuck Brexit, and Theresa May can fly to Brussels another three dozen times.

It's interesting that May's apparently against a second referendum, yet prepared to put her same deal, which is clearly as popular as a bag of pork scratchings in a mosque, to the house an endless amount of times.

Also interesting that Corbyn's going against Labour policy of wanting a second referendum. Even as leader, he's rebelling.

What a pair of arse candles.

The whole if the EU allow an extension thing will make upcoming EU elections unmissable in car crash terms :)

Labour not taking long to fall apart I see

34 minutes ago, charon said:

The whole if the EU allow an extension thing will make upcoming EU elections unmissable in car crash terms :)

Labour not taking long to fall apart I see

I wonder if her signature is actually supposed to resemble a peacock?

She looks about 12.  I must be getting old.

Posted 32 minutes ago

She looks about 12.  I must be getting old.

32 apparently, but agree doesn't look old to enough to do many things legally, certainly not be an MP.