Grim Reaper

38. Prunella Scales

17 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Timothy West will be best remembered as Edward VII, won't he? Looked like him several times last night, when he had the beard.  I enjoyed seeing the two of them last night though didn't realise it was a one-off. Probably worth putting both on for next year. 

Francesca Anis was the young Lillie Langtry, I'm guessing. 

I would have thought Brass would have been his signature role.

• Like 2

He's been Winston Churchill a couple of times, but it's Royal Jelly that sticks in my mind.

a025.gif

• Like 2

Now I want to be contrarian and say Nicholas and Alexandra! But yeah, Royal Jelly or King Edward are the standouts imo

Although a role not mentioned that easily jumps to mind is as angry bipolar academic Professor Furie in an episode of a Very Peculiar Practice. Manages to steal the show off Peter Davison, David Troughton and Graham Crowden, no small feat!

Anyhow there is a Canal Journeys on next Sunday, but its another hastily put together clip show. Which suggests to me the channel wanted a proper new series but health got in the way.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

He's been Winston Churchill a couple of times, but it's Royal Jelly that sticks in my mind.

a025.gif

The great thing about Tales of the Unexpected was the short anthology nature of the show attracted the top talent.

There is one with John Gielgud and Ralph Richardson in.

Could be worth a list for British Character Actors

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The great thing about Tales of the Unexpected was the short anthology nature of the show attracted the top talent.

There is one with John Gielgud and Ralph Richardson in.

Could be worth a list for British Character Actors

This is why I like Inside No 9, 30 min anthology series so a bit like ToTU and they tend to nab strong casts per story. Also, Timothy West was in one of them too!

• Like 2

On 21/10/2019 at 18:58, msc said:

Anyhow there is a Canal Journeys on next Sunday, but its another hastily put together clip show. Which suggests to me the channel wanted a proper new series but health got in the way.

3 minutes new footage in an hour! And, as Scales mysteriously could keep conversation going, it looked like it was filmed some time ago.

Dead by June.  May 13.

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Dead by June.  May 13.

• Like 1

you trying to wind me up QR but I’m in a Walmart parking lot drinking hard lemonade at 9:30am 1Jan.  You one of my favourite people....we can keep fighting or get a room :lol::mellow:

I mean....I wasn’t starting a sweeps really I wasn’t.

SC

5 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

you trying to wind me up QR but I’m in a Walmart parking lot drinking hard lemonade at 9:30am 1Jan.  You one of my favourite people....we can keep fighting or get a room :lol::mellow:

I mean....I wasn’t starting a sweeps really I wasn’t.

SC

There's no trying necessary, it's too easy :P

• Haha 2

On 26/06/2017 at 13:15, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Is anything big in Zimbabwe?

Debt....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/01/2020 at 10:38, The Quim Reaper said:

we can keep fighting or get a room :lol::mellow:

On 01/01/2020 at 10:38, The Quim Reaper said:

There's no trying necessary, it's too easy :P

:unsure:

What a wonderful lady she is. Still as gorgeous as ever.

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10850103/prunella-scales-alzheimers-timothy-west/

Some sad but inevitable news about Prunella Scales quitting her tv presenting role due to the severity of her illness. 

Well they could only stretch it out so long, wouldn’t want a Natalie Wood style incident 

22 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/10850103/prunella-scales-alzheimers-timothy-west/

Some sad but inevitable news about Prunella Scales quitting her tv presenting role due to the severity of her illness. 

On my long list but she was too old to make the cut.

With the right care, she could see off the grim reaper this year.

On 30/01/2020 at 03:36, JR976evil said:

Well they could only stretch it out so long, wouldn’t want a Natalie Wood style incident 

With brexit and corona her passing probably wouldn't get the attention Natalie Wood's had.

Still, could be a wet side story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Looks well if this is a current picture.

How is somebody with alzheimers supposed to look?:rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

How is somebody with alzheimers supposed to look?:rolleyes:

When you’re in the final stages, the brain can start to shut down basic functions of movement. If that was the case she wouldn’t be sat upright smiling in a deck chair lounging in the sun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

When you’re in the final stages, the brain can start to shut down basic functions of movement. If that was the case she wouldn’t be sat upright smiling in a deck chair lounging in the sun.

The fact that she is in a deck chair indicates that she has not reached the stage where her husband is unable to care for her within their home environment.

That does not mean that she is well, infact, that photo is showing us that her smile is a vacant one and she probably doesn't even know who she is sitting next to!

I just considered the statement 'looks well' to be a bit crass.

Just my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

The fact that she is in a deck chair indicates that she has not reached the stage where her husband is unable to care for her within their home environment.

That does not mean that she is well, infact, that photo is showing us that her smile is a vacant one and she probably doesn't even know who she is sitting next to!

I just considered the statement 'looks well' to be a bit crass.

Just my opinion.

Bit from her last TV series that showed how far gone her mind was imo:

Random Church Woman: And this is the memorial to Princess Diana.

Scales: Oh. Did she die?

She blatantly didn't know the difference between her own kids and a total stranger anymore either.

Tbh my experience of folk at the latter stages of dementia tends to be more of the Tony Booth school ie increasingly unable to even do basic stuff like feed themselves and piling up all kinds of ailments which eventually kill them. Horrendous stuff.

• Like 2

My nan was bedridden the final year. Scales looks like she could go on a few more years as her body has not yet failed only the mind. Not many people 16 years after diagnosis can even be taken to a park and be photographed looking dignified, sit in a flimsy chair, and holding something.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2019 at 16:34, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Given her overall status, I give her 5 or 6 years. Possibly more. 

3oz8xOvhnSpVOs9xza.gif

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

My nan was bedridden the final year. Scales looks like she could go on a few more years as her body has not yet failed only the mind. Not many people 16 years after diagnosis can even be taken to a park and be photographed looking dignified, sit in a flimsy chair, and holding something.

Did they get a shot of the random stranger sneezing in her face on the way out of that park...?just askin' :rolleyes:

• Like 1