Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Jenny Diski

5th May.

May 27th, just before Carlisle United romp to play-off final victory.

Note; well into double figures in sweepstake entry hereabouts, yet to win one!

Could be less than 3 months, could be more. I'll go for more - August 7th...

July 10, 2016.

Born 6 months after Bowie, dies 6 months after Bowie.

I'll take June 14.

June 4th.

These bloody sweepstakes. Open a thread thinking there might be news to find it's just another guess.

https://twitter.com/diski/status/702883605551382528:Well according to this she doesn`t think she will make 3 months.

Yeah, doctors usually tend to overestimate survival times of terminal patients by a little (or at least give a date near the upper end of the confidence interval) in order not to make things worse than they already are (also: knowing that if they DO survive longer than that, they might sue them).

10 April.

Yeah if a Doctor gives you a time scale like that it is almost certainly accurate or overly optimistic !They are normally very reluctant to say how long so they must have found it in several other organs or something equally dire.Also on a side note has anyone heard of any of her work?

Well, it depends. Someone I am quite fond of was told they had "about three weeks left" due to cancer in 2006. His response was to go "Right, fine, I'm going to enjoy myself while I can." He's still going a decade later, and no one is quite sure how. So it depends on the person and circumstances.

But that said, in Diski's case, she's fucked.

• Like 1

Well, it depends. Someone I am quite fond of was told they had "about three weeks left" due to cancer in 2006. His response was to go "Right, fine, I'm going to enjoy myself while I can." He's still going a decade later, and no one is quite sure how. So it depends on the person and circumstances.

But that said, in Diski's case, she's fucked.

That is true.I think I am over generalising by using this case as an example!

July 8, 2017, on her party-pooping 70th birthday.

That puts Sir Creep's guesstimate at a whopping 14 months beyond her physician's.

SC

Yeah if a Doctor gives you a time scale like that it is almost certainly accurate or overly optimistic !They are normally very reluctant to say how long so they must have found it in several other organs or something equally dire.Also on a side note has anyone heard of any of her work?

Apparently Piers Sellers was given 12-18 months last month, even with stage 4 pancreatic cancer...

Apparently Piers Sellers was given 12-18 months last month, even with stage 4 pancreatic cancer...

So far as I am aware Cancer Stages are a only a guideline as to how far the cancer has spread and not a 'life expectancy' diagnosis. Stage 4 refers to metastasised or 'spread to another organ'. Amongst many other possiblities of variation between individuals there appears to be no difference in this somewhat simplistic numbering system between one other organ and many other organs. If such is correct, there could well be wide variations in the prognosis of different people although they all may have "stage 4".

Thus comparing Diski's life expectancy directly with that of anyone else with 'stage 4' isn't meaningful.

That is very strange.The average for Stage 4 Pancreatic cancer is 4-6 months.Also he had been feeling shit for 9 months before his diagnosis in October which is a very bad sign as it means it has been detected particularly late.He already looks like Patrick Swayze towards the end.He is clearly gaunt and pale to the extent that if you didn`t know he was ill you would probably guess that something was badly wrong.

_87834642_ba54c864-ebac-4332-80e6-1848a0

Not much in the way of Diski updates recently, although we did learn that she is in the mood for walnut cake and that her least favourite Louis Malle film is Zazie dans le métro.

Not much in the way of Diski updates recently, although we did learn that she is in the mood for walnut cake and that her least favourite Louis Malle film is Zazie dans le métro.

It is a bit of a let down if you're expecting lots of action in the Métro.