Sign in to follow this  
Sir Creep

Biggest 'miss(es)' by the DL Committee 2016

Please fix the title fonts (DL not Dl lower case, and the E should be lower case).... my laptop got angry with the angry image and when I backspaced it posted and formatting got askew is all I can think. Alas.

TIA.

Like this?

I guess that they are going for "relevant" people, but then they also have Liz Smith (?), or the occasional low-hanging fruit (possibly Woodhead, or Erich Priepke, or even Luise Rainer). And some picks that are simply boring and not exactly logical (Javier Perez de Cuellar, Lester Piggott).

Liz Smith is very well known in the UK as a comedy actress who habitually played dotty old ladies. By her own admission, she has always looked like a little old lady! She has appeared in many popular sitcoms and would be instantly recognisable to most Brits, even if they didn't remember her name. She retired several years ago and is said to be in poor health.

Lester Piggott is far from boring. He was for many years the champion flat race jockey with record numbers of Classic wins, and was known even to people who did not follow horse racing. He is famously tight-fisted, and shockingly was jailed for tax evasion some years ago. He is not much in the limelight these days, but holds legendary status in the UK and Ireland. That said, I have not heard anything that suggests he is likely to keel over any time soon.

Almost like a female Clive Dunn then.

• Like 2

I guess that they are going for "relevant" people, but then they also have Liz Smith (?), or the occasional low-hanging fruit (possibly Woodhead, or Erich Priepke, or even Luise Rainer). And some picks that are simply boring and not exactly logical (Javier Perez de Cuellar, Lester Piggott).

Liz Smith is very well known in the UK as a comedy actress who habitually played dotty old ladies. By her own admission, she has always looked like a little old lady! She has appeared in many popular sitcoms and would be instantly recognisable to most Brits, even if they didn't remember her name. She retired several years ago and is said to be in poor health.

Lester Piggott is far from boring. He was for many years the champion flat race jockey with record numbers of Classic wins, and was known even to people who did not follow horse racing. He is famously tight-fisted, and shockingly was jailed for tax evasion some years ago. He is not much in the limelight these days, but holds legendary status in the UK and Ireland. That said, I have not heard anything that suggests he is likely to keel over any time soon.

Ah, good to know, thanks. From my point of view, I'm having trouble with Liz Smith because my internet searches always prefer the US gossip lady.

Liz Smith had several mini strokes a few years ago and retired due to that.She is best known as her description says for playing Nana in the Royle family which is a really popular UK sitcom that was on for many years and used to be on BBC1 every Xmas for a number of years.She is also known for being in the Vicar of Dibley another hugely popular UK sitcom that is still repeated a lot.She also had a starring role in Charlie and the Chocolate factory and in a Wallace and Gromit film and was nominated for a BAFTA for her work in the Royle family.She has also appeared in loads of other lesser known programs .In short she is a household name in the UK and will get considerable coverage when she passes away.Probably the level of her demise being mentioned on the Six and ten O`Clock news briefly.

Perez de Cuellar is 96 in a couple of days and although not perhaps a household name is highly5 obitable and likewise will get substantial news coverage when he goes.

Lester Piggott is very famous in Britain so is an apprropriate name in my view but I don`t think he is old enough or unwell enough to have been put on this years list.(Now I have said that he will die tommorrow!)

• Like 1

Well, yes! Here she is in an episode of Ripping Yarns from 1977.

https://youtu.be/yVk0QFd3ul0?t=346

I've no problem with the Committee giving some people that are nothing more than elderly (de Cuellar) the boot and bringing in new blood, it's in the rules after all. I suppose we can question which ones were sent packing. Given their druthers (and no 50% rule) they may have kept someone they had to boot. Those are relatively tough decisions.

What SHOULDNT be a tough decision is coming up with, let's say, 10 solid picks who we all seem to agree (as per drop 40) are destined to leave us. I don't see any of those names. I think there is a bit of 'well we are a website that needs to draw attention to it and need more recognizable names' going on. And that's fine, I get it. That accounts for the Joey Feeks of the world absence. Patrick Harrington was a renowned comic actor for decades. That's a blatant miss. Either they ignored or never ever read our posts.

I'm not aware of Delpech's fame over there internationally, perhaps a 'miss' but here we are awaiting an obvious t so I'll defer to the Committee.

I could whine about people being included structly for being older but sans any medical condition. Where, pray tell, is someone the likes of Dick Cheney, who's medical history you can't attach here cuz it's too many characters in the reply box? I mean if that's the kind of person they want to list where is he? He's every bit as qualified as Kissnger to be included and certainly moreso many names therein. That's just one bloody example.

Anyway I tend to be conservative on calling a 'miss' after the fact (someone we didn't think about ourselves) and more liberal calling 'miss' on the original DL via names we have repeated many times in 2015.

SC

• Like 1

Patrick Harrington was a renowned comic actor for decades. That's a blatant miss.

Like a number of others here, I'd never heard of him, nor was his face familiar to me.

• Like 3

I've no problem with the Committee giving some people that are nothing more than elderly (de Cuellar) the boot and bringing in new blood, it's in the rules after all. I suppose we can question which ones were sent packing. Given their druthers (and no 50% rule) they may have kept someone they had to boot. Those are relatively tough decisions.

What SHOULDNT be a tough decision is coming up with, let's say, 10 solid picks who we all seem to agree (as per drop 40) are destined to leave us. I don't see any of those names. I think there is a bit of 'well we are a website that needs to draw attention to it and need more recognizable names' going on. And that's fine, I get it. That accounts for the Joey Feeks of the world absence. Patrick Harrington was a renowned comic actor for decades. That's a blatant miss. Either they ignored or never ever read our posts.

I'm not aware of Delpech's fame over there internationally, perhaps a 'miss' but here we are awaiting an obvious t so I'll defer to the Committee.

I could whine about people being included structly for being older but sans any medical condition. Where, pray tell, is someone the likes of Dick Cheney, who's medical history you can't attach here cuz it's too many characters in the reply box? I mean if that's the kind of person they want to list where is he? He's every bit as qualified as Kissnger to be included and certainly moreso many names therein. That's just one bloody example.

Anyway I tend to be conservative on calling a 'miss' after the fact (someone we didn't think about ourselves) and more liberal calling 'miss' on the original DL via names we have repeated many times in 2015.

SC

Fucking hell.

A pointless post because it suggests that the 'commitee' give two fucks about who goes on the list and who doesn't.

They don't spend months pouring over data to come up with the 50.

They don't give a shit what you think or anybody else thinks, they do what everybody else does, they shoot fish in a barrel and pinch the odd name or three that has come up for discussion on here.

Stop getting yer knickers in a twist, its just a game.

• Like 5

While not really an active member on this thread or w/Shadow Lists, it does seem the Dl committee should pay a bit more attention to suggestions made by DeathList-ers out here. From back in '15. Natalie Cole would have been a decent pick, I think, and set a DL record had she been. It's a question why she had the liver transplant in the first place back in 2009 as people with histories of drug abuse like her are *supposedly* not eligible for them here in the States. Then again, Larry Hagman managed to purchase himself one back in the 1990's after the years of wild partying caught up to him (dating back to his I Dream of Jeannie days). He (perhaps somewhat regrettably) bought himself a number of extra years there before the cancer returned and finally sent him on his way. As the saying goes, though "Money talks while Poverty walks.'

In Herr Dick Cheney's case, both money and position got him his new heart a few years ago; with him, he was past the age-limit. That was the really dangerous one in the Bush/Cheney regime (or Cheney/Bush, if you prefer). Many of us always considered him the President in-effect while using "Little Bush" as the public face, puppet, what-have-you.

• Like 1

Have we got a new mascot in Liz Smith then?

NO.

Why not she epitomises the Clive Dunn spirit in won't die and has been playing very old for nearly half-a-century?

NO.

Why not she epitomises the Clive Dunn spirit in won't die and has been playing very old for nearly half-a-century?

Clive Dunn wasn't 94 when he first went on the list.

Sometimes you have to let it go, a bit like those fuckwitts that clone their pet dogs, whats past has gone and you should be letting go not trying to hang onto the past or summat.

Dunn is done, there is no more.

• Like 2

NO.

won't die? Dunn was far from immortal he wasn't in any bad health and was only picked because he played old people which would probably get you laughed out of a dp team today besides zsa zsa Gabor is the true immortal.

Biggest misses are Rene Angelil, Daisy Berkowitz and Val Kilmer.

Unless you know something we don't, Daisy Berkowitz and Val Kilmer are still alive, so they're hardly misses, are they? Nob.

• Like 2

Glenn Frey dead at 67; this one stings deeply for me given what a major presence in rock he was both with the Eagles, and as a solo artist. I'm not sure he would actually qualify as another miss for the DL as it seems some considerable effort went into keeping how serious his health issues were relatively quiet. Apparently, though, rumors that he was quite sick had been circulating since last November, and an awards ceremony had been delayed due to his health if I understood the news reports correctly. In any case, another major loss for fans of my generation especially.

Guest Droosy

Glenn Frey dead at 67; this one stings deeply for me given what a major presence in rock he was both with the Eagles, and as a solo artist. I'm not sure he would actually qualify as another miss for the DL as it seems some considerable effort went into keeping how serious his health issues were relatively quiet. Apparently, though, rumors that he was quite sick had been circulating since last November, and an awards ceremony had been delayed due to his health if I understood the news reports correctly. In any case, another major loss for fans of my generation especially.

Definitely, unlike Bowie or Rickman, Frey must be qualified as a (big) MISS

Hindsights wonderful innit? Are we going to be calling "big" (huge, enormous, unforgiveable oversight....) on every famous person that carks it that isn't on the list?

Guest Guest

Hindsights wonderful innit? Are we going to be calling "big" (huge, enormous, unforgiveable oversight....) on every famous person that carks it that isn't on the list?

yes

yes

You're aware of how many celebrities were discussed on the possibilities and other threads over the course of the previous year?

*Leonardo DiCaprio gets murdered*
"How did the committee NOT have him on the list?!"

>this thread

• Like 5

>this thread

Why do you have to say things like that and build my hopes up?

>this thread

Why do you have to say things like that and build my hopes up?

John Goodman, Robbie Coltrane, Eric Pickles - surely these would be real examples of BIG misses.....!!

• Like 4

Indeed, she's 'Grandma' to his 'Grandad'.

Guest Droosy

well, the first American Olympic gold-medalist in the downhill, Bill Johnson, is quite a big miss, given that he wasn´t able to sit for the last 3 years, could smoke only with assistance (!) and had been talking about assist suicide recently...