Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Republican Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel drops out of Ohio Senate race against Sherrod Brown due to an unspecified health issue involving his wife Ilana Mandel.

On 12/09/2017 at 11:24, Heef said:

Jim Anderton, former NZ Deputy PM is apparently in declining health. Perhaps just about known enough in the UK to get a Grauniad obit.

Jim Anderton, New Zealand Deputy Prime Minister (1999-2002), has died aged 79.

Well, he was a highly principled politician, who left the Labour party when they turned to neoliberalism under David Lange. One of NZ's great politicians of recent times. I wonder if he'll get a DDP obit, as I did pick him.

2 hours ago, Heef said:

Well, he was a highly principled politician, who left the Labour party when they turned to neoliberalism under David Lange. One of NZ's great politicians of recent times. I wonder if he'll get a DDP obit, as I did pick him.

He has. Well done. Quite rare that Reuters is the first one to step up to the plate these days.

• Like 1

I just hope someone else picked him in the DDP, otherwise I've done myself out of a unique. Sad hit though. It's not that long ago he was a key figure in National (that's NZ-wide, not the National Party) politics, and only recently he'd been fighting hard for the Cathedral rebuild in Christchurch. EDIT: Interesting Reuters used the term 'idealistic'. 'Principled' is the other side of that coin, depending on where on the political spectrum you fit, I guess. Not quite NZ's Tony Benn, but reasonably close in recent years.

Rita Crocker Clements, former first lady of Texas (twice in office - '79-'83 and '87-'91) and a Republican Party organizer has died aged 86. The cause of death was listed as "complications of Alzheimer's disease". By the way, the person who succeeded her as first lady of Texas after her second term was one Laura Bush.

Peter Sutherland, the 19th Irish Attorney General (1981-1982), has died aged 71. He also served as European Commissioner for Competition under Jacques Delors from 1985-1989, during which time he was the youngest ever European Commissioner. After this, he went on to become Director-General of the World Trade Organisation (1993-1995). 

Edit: Daily Mail, The Telegraph, BBC obituaries.

On 9/12/2017 at 05:24, Heef said:

Jim Anderton, former NZ Deputy PM is apparently in declining health. Perhaps just about known enough in the UK to get a Grauniad obit.

Real declining.  Dead in fact.
SC

Edit: Reuters UK count?

Ah.  :clivedunn::clivedunn::clivedunn::clivedunn: 

:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

Ah.  :clivedunn::clivedunn::clivedunn::clivedunn: 

:D

Yup see it now :(  I would blame the dasterdly search box for not bringing me to the most recent post of 'anderton'....but I have big shoulders, pile the blame on me.  I should know by now...
SC

NI Sec James Brokenshire, 50,  resigns on reshuffle day, and apparently needs major surgery ASAP for a lung condition.

There's one for Sean to chase up!

12 minutes ago, msc said:

NI Sec James Brokenshire, 50,  resigns on reshuffle day, and apparently needs major surgery ASAP for a lung condition.

There's one for Sean to chase up!

Lung condition is a small lesion on the right lung. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Lung condition is a small lesion on the right lung. 

Aye, could go either way here. That condition may be nowt as serious as we first thought but a convenient excuse to reshuffle him without blame. 

Anyone willing to risk him in the Deathlist Cup?

it is whether it is cancer or not which is significant here.

Mitt Romney is surprisingly old. And surprisingly many old men have prostate cancer.

8 hours ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

French President François Mitterand died from prostate cancer at the age of 79. He concealed his condition for most of his presidency. 

Except this is all moot.  I was well aware of Mitt’s prostate cancer.   I could swear he spoke about it last Fall.   

I don't think anyone mentioned Marjorie Holt's death before me ! 

• Like 1