Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

On 26.7.2009 at 15:54, themaninblack said:

In police custody because of Gaddafi:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/20/nicolas-sarkozy-police-custody-french-president-campaign-funding-libya

Just checking if he is still married to Carla Bruni .... yes...but apparently he's had affairs, but then, that is to be expected.

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Burmese president Htin Kyaw stepping down. He spent some time abroad last year, allegedly travelling for medical care :sherlock:

I've never heard of Burma.  Where is it?  
You Colonialist hack.

27 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

You Colonialist hack.

Near Ceylon I think.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

Near Ceylon I think.

Wedged between East and West Pakistan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

You Colonialist hack.

What are we supposed to call this then?

Burma_Star_Full_Size_Medal_800x.png?v=14

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

What are we supposed to call this then?

Burma_Star_Full_Size_Medal_800x.png?v=14

Dickie? :duck:

Burmese is still an in use (within the country) description for people from Mynamr/country formerly known as Burma, as apparently both names predate colonialism and stem from the name of the majority ethnic group in the country,  the Bamar.

The Bamar people are often imprecisely called "Burmese", though this term in contemporary usage can refer to any citizen of Myanmar, regardless of ethnicity.

Thought cool, so sharing.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2016 at 15:16, gcreptile said:

Former Georgia senator Zell Miller, 84, hospitalized after a fall:

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/18/zell-miller-hospitalized-after-fall-at-young-harris-college/

He got a hip operation without hip replacment, so he ...probably... survives.

As I already posted elsewhere, dead.

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

As I already posted elsewhere, dead.

The rare example of a politician where you could use DINO or RINO ("Democrat/Republican In Name Only", in this case the former) without hyperbole. Very conservative despite never actually leaving the Democratic Party.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

The rare example of a politician where you could use DINO or RINO ("Democrat/Republican In Name Only", in this case the former) without hyperbole. Very conservative despite never actually leaving the Democratic Party.

Very convenient for Miller to pass away following the Dan Lipinski/Marie Newman primary between a blue dog and berniecrat. 

Anyways, here's a clip of Democrat Zell Miller speaking at the RNC in 2004 while stil serving as a U.S. Senator.

• Like 1

Irish TD and Ceann Comhairle Sean Treacy has died aged 94. He was member of Presidential commissions in 1974 and 1976 and therefore would have made it to the 20 Oldest living state leaders had he carried on for some time. 

37 minutes ago, drol said:

Irish TD and Ceann Comhairle Sean Treacy has died aged 94. He was member of Presidential commissions in 1974 and 1976 and therefore would have made it to the 20 Oldest living state leaders had he carried on for some time. 

But he had unclear status as a state leader according to the official site of 100 oldest state leaders.

Just realised Ronald Atkins has now overtaken Bert Hazell as the 2nd longest lived British MP ever, and the oldest since Theodore Cooke Taylor died in 1952. If he makes it to the end of August he'll be the oldest ever. 

• Like 1

On 27.10.2017 at 18:23, gcreptile said:

Hospitalised again - for upset stomach:

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/271017/sonia-gandhi-complains-of-stomach-pain-admitted-to-sir-ganga-ram-hospital.html

Look, either she can't cope with the food - or - she has stomach cancer.

Sonia Gandhi again:

https://m.khaleejtimes.com/international/india/sonia-gandhi-rushed-back-to-delhi-due-to-ill-health

18 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

When the one person (that notable) has around ten different hospitalisations relating to their health, it's maybe time for that person to have their own thread, and all that information collated in the one place.

• Like 2

Agreed, I'll do it tomorrow at home unless anybody else wants to. I'd make a list of all her health crises.

Could just as be in a war heroes thread.

At the ripe old age of 107 years, Johan van Hulst blew out his last breath. He must have been one of the oldest politicians alive before. 

He also is revered for his resistance work in WW2. He was instrumental in saving 600 Jewish children.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Whitehouse said:

Could just as be in a war heroes thread.

At the ripe old age of 107 years, Johan van Hulst blew out his last breath. He must have been one of the oldest politicians alive before. 

He also is revered for his resistance work in WW2. He was instrumental in saving 600 Jewish children.

Believe it or not there is one politician who was older than him still alive- Irma Rapuzzi .She'll be 108 in a few weeks. Van Hulst was the oldest  politician to serve in a national parliament though 

They'll blame it on alzheimers ... :mellow:

• Like 1