maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2017

I have not had chance to really get into this. Congrats DI but it was a bit disapponting.

Extra thought: unless I read it wrong, the original Deathrace rules never said anything about banning kids, but the current ones do. Did someone try to put one in their team after assumption no one would do that? Or was a clarification of an unwritten rule. With so many newer posters who might get involved in games over the years, that looks like a precedent to my sleep deprived brain for a ban on a certain category?

We've tweaked the rules as we go - banning kids seemed like a good idea.

• Like 3

Congratulations DeathImpends! Looks like the rest of us fools look dumb for taking a cancer-mum route.

Regarding execution picks, I'mma just say this. If they're allowed next year too, I'm not participating. They made this a very boring competition - I mean, we knew when it would end four days before it actually did!

The only reason why I even put the executees on my team was because they were allowed, and that was needed in order to win. If they weren't allowed, I probably would've jokered Mario Soares just like most people. I personally think that they should be banned. I mean, Death Impends didn't joker any of them, but he still won in 18 days, knowing when 2 of them will die. If they are still allowed next time, how about not allowing them to be jokers AND reducing their point value by 200 points. This way, a teams with ill people has a much larger chance at winning than teams who include the executees as they are no longer as valuable as the other members of the team. (Still think a ban on them is the right thing to do).

It was fun to follow even though I wasn't partaking. Was a bit scary for a newbie like me. lol Very well done, Death Impends. :hatsoff:

The death row situation sucked all the interest out of the game for me.

• Like 7

Even though I won with their benefit, yeah, I'd be on the side of striking them entirely at this point. The fun of the game is more in the surprise deaths - ie, how I benefited from Clare Hollingworth and Zhou Youguang when they could've just as easily slogged on till December - and I must admit it felt anticlimactic and on the cheap side knowing I was going to win in a matter of hours. :unsure:

• Like 4

I don't think, tbh, there is a single person for allowing state executions. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think we unanimously so far, request a ban for them. Ruins the surprise.

• Like 1

Congratulations Death Impends!

I've always been more of a long-distance runner than a sprinter, and, so far, never got very far in this competition. The four digit score is my record, and I couldn't have done it without the executions. Ban them entirely.

• Like 3

Get rid, as Toast said, takes the fun out of it.

• Like 2

Get rid, as Toast said, takes the fun out of it.

Aye, we aim to please our customers etc. So let's simplify the debate from now on - if anyone out there actually wants some limited admission of death row fodder could s/he let us know in the next couple of days. If not, punter power will forever bar them from the Deathrace, assuming we even bother with such in 2018.

• Like 5

Well done Death Impends.

Have to agree that it would be a far better game without death rowers. I also only included them, because it was pointless entering a team without them.

At the risk of MPFC's brain exploding, what's the best way for the game to end ?

Finishing order as per when the first person crosses the finish line.

-or-

A top 5/10/whatever declared as each person crosses the line ? Would make the game last longer for the effort put in to work out a team.

I don't mind either way, just asking.

Well done Death Impends.

Have to agree that it would be a far better game without death rowers. I also only included them, because it was pointless entering a team without them.

At the risk of MPFC's brain exploding, what's the best way for the game to end ?

Finishing order as per when the first person crosses the finish line.

-or-

A top 5/10/whatever declared as each person crosses the line ? Would make the game last longer for the effort put in to work out a team.

I don't mind either way, just asking.

Well tbh it usually does last longer and death row has hastened the whole caper this year.

As for the ending in general - we tend to declare a winner after which there's usually a period wherein the various podium contenders keep declaring their scores regardless; I'm guessing that'll follow in due course and since I'm amongst the four point brigade (granted that's largely because my joker was executed a few hours back!) I'll probs tell the world if a few other deaths give me second or third place.

On second thoughts; ignore the above post and hunt down a QO of our low standards for this fella; and we have our podium

Mark Sims – dc, ds, jr, rg, to

Reet, that'll be the prize awarded then. Fair play to DI for suggesting it went to "that animal charity" that benefitted when he won three years ago - evidence below:

16142425_10154028389455981_4939683031920

• Like 7

Oh aye, and I'm hearing all the post-race comments

So - assuming there is another Deathrace - we'll do it without death row assistance, then, Rule 2a already amended to that end.

• Like 6

Glad to continue the donation to decent causes - as mentioned in the donation PM, even more fitting than the last time as I've been doing volunteer work with a local cat rescue myself for about a year now. Deadpooling may be a fun aside in life, but it's the likes of volunteering that's the truly rewarding part. :)

Looking forward to playing with no steroid abuse next year.

• Like 1

Glad to continue the donation to decent causes - as mentioned in the donation PM, even more fitting than the last time as I've been doing volunteer work with a local cat rescue myself for about a year now. Deadpooling may be a fun aside in life, but it's the likes of volunteering that's the truly rewarding part. :)

I agree with you. Volunteer work, when I'm able to do it, really gives you a good feeling when it's all over, cause you know you helped someone who may not have the ability to do what you do for them. Probably should find a way to do more volunteer work.

As for next year, I'm definitely glad to do this without those executions. I wonder if I could've won without those executions in play. Soares would've been jokered, and Magill and Downie would've made the final cut instead of being subs. What could've been... but that's life for me.

I agree with you. Volunteer work, when I'm able to do it, really gives you a good feeling when it's all over, cause you know you helped someone who may not have the ability to do what you do for them. Probably should find a way to do more volunteer work.

Is this another one for RadGuy's "signs of a deadpooler" list? I used to do volunteer counseling and stuff with vulnerable folk.

Thanks again for running this fine competition, Maryport, and I look forward to the 2018 edition should we all still be here and it exists!

Is this another one for RadGuy's "signs of a deadpooler" list? I used to do volunteer counseling and stuff with vulnerable folk.

It definitely gives a strong rebuttal to the "deadpooling site full of heartless bastards" drivel crappy tabloids like to churn out.

• Like 1

It definitely gives a strong rebuttal to the "deadpooling site full of heartless bastards" drivel crappy tabloids like to churn out.

Aye, indeed - in fact I'd say the humanity in its various forms is one of the strongest elements in almost all the confessed deadpoolers I've met.

• Like 3

If anyone still gives a flying fuck about podium places I'd say we have a near enough unique situation in this most permissive of pools.

Even I'm struggling to see points for Sims when all I can find is his own blog recording the death

Owt else out there that even scratches the surface of reputable obit?

I think you wanted the Deathrace there, joey!