themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

Hey! I just noticed the new "Drop 40 pick" bonus while reading the DDP rules. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand why it was introduced. Basically, the Drop 40 usually consists of the celebrities that have been included in the most amount of teams. Almost by default, the most popular selections are those whose fame status is high, whose ages are advanced, and/or those whose illnesses have been publicized substantially in mainstream media.

In other words, the research effort that goes into finding these people is negligable. So why are we rewarding deathpoolers with bonuses for going with people like Kirk Douglas and Vera Lynn? It's like the exact opposite of the "unique pick" bonus, ain't it?

Also, it becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy when a large amount of entrants choose celebrity x because they believe that others will choose him/her, which results in x being chosen. While without the bonus, teams would have opted not to pick x because (s)he is just really old and takes up space for better picks.[/rant]

I think the bonus is a positive change, which will help bring back a bit of fun to the DDP and reward players for playing in the spirit of the game!

• Like 3

Hey! I just noticed the new "Drop 40 pick" bonus while reading the DDP rules. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand why it was introduced. Basically, the Drop 40 usually consists of the celebrities that have been included in the most amount of teams. Almost by default, the most popular selections are those whose fame status is high, whose ages are advanced, and/or those whose illnesses have been publicized substantially in mainstream media.

In other words, the research effort that goes into finding these people is negligable. So why are we rewarding deathpoolers with bonuses for going with people like Kirk Douglas and Vera Lynn? It's like the exact opposite of the "unique pick" bonus, ain't it?

Also, it becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy when a large amount of entrants choose celebrity x because they believe that others will choose him/her, which results in x being chosen. While without the bonus, teams would have opted not to pick x because (s)he is just really old and takes up space for better picks.[/rant]

I think the bonus is a positive change, which will help bring back a bit of fun to the DDP and reward players for playing in the spirit of the game!

I'm siding with Predictor on this one.

SC

Hey! I saw the new "Drop 40 pick" bonus while reading the DDP rules. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand why it was introduced. Basically, the Drop 40 usually consists of the celebrities that have been included in the most amount of teams. Almost by default, the most popular selections are those whose fame status is high, whose ages are advanced, and/or those whose illnesses have been publicized substantially in mainstream media.

Only 14 of the drop 40 names died this year and thats actually higher then usual. If someone picked a team of 20 real old well known celebrities they excpect to be in the drop 40 they are not coming anywhere close to winning. People have been waiting for the likes of Jerry Lewis and Mugage to die for decades,and they will probably be waiting a few more years.

Yeah, the Drop 40 bonus is a nice fillip to the "stop picking non-famous people" crowd but it leaves things unaffected for the title contenders, tbh it's a win-win move.

I like it. It'll be interesting to see how it works in practice, but on paper, it sounds a nice new bonus, and plus, its more...inclusive than the random nature of the Lucky 13th bonus.

I like the Drop 40 bonus. Realistically, Kirk and Vera won't see much upper-echelon usage even with the bonus since it makes more sense to pick a 70-something who won't be Drop 40 or unique but is much more a dead cert. That assumes Vera sees out March, of course. But then a lot of more easy going DPers will still get more mileage from Kirk than before, which is nice for them, and there are other names that'll enjoy a boost in competitive usage due to the bonus.

I like the Drop 40 bonus. Realistically, Kirk and Vera won't see much upper-echelon usage even with the bonus since it makes more sense to pick a 70-something who won't be Drop 40 or unique but is much more a dead cert. That assumes Vera sees out March, of course. But then a lot of more easy going DPers will still get more mileage from Kirk than before, which is nice for them, and there are other names that'll enjoy a boost in competitive usage due to the bonus.

Some picks in the drop 40 will become important. If someone was to pick someone, like, let's say Clive James, and he died, then he would be worth as many points as Joey Feek or Kris Travis. But you got to choose the right ones in order for it to work.

Random question to TMIB, did a lot of people select Fisher during the four days since her heart attack?

Random question to TMIB, did a lot of people select Fisher during the four days since her heart attack?

How many questions are in your random question generator?

• Like 3

I'm siding with Predictor on this one.

SC

And by reading the names on your signature I can see why!

​Its a celebrity deadpool. If it hadn't been for 'research' you wouldn't know half those people from Adam!

​Anyway. I was hoping not to have to argue on this matter this year. :D

• Like 1

So that's Rick Parfitt off my Hits Of 36 Years ago team and Debbie Reynolds off my 12 Lords A-Leaving team. Notified TMB by email to promote my subs.

It's Keith Michell all over again, only twice as bad!

Surely we can have a break until January 1st?

So that's Rick Parfitt off my Hits Of 36 Years ago team and Debbie Reynolds off my 12 Lords A-Leaving team. Notified TMB by email to promote my subs.

It's Keith Michell all over again, only twice as bad!

Surely we can have a break until January 1st?

Death Takes a Holiday?

• Like 1

200 teams registered so far...

• Like 2

Just emailed you mine, TMIB.

Sent you my teams, but haven't received any confirmation email.

Same here. Mine was sent 3 days ago only, but I'm still kinda paranoid about not getting confirmation.

• Like 1

It is lucky you are not on the same continent as Lardy with that pick.

You have DJ Fontana and I have DC Fontana on my Shadowlist. No chance of confusion there then.

I have only just seen this as I don't read these bits.

Dave Grohl will not die. He CANNOT die. He is GOD. This is a complete waste of a pick.

• Like 1

Same here. Mine was sent 3 days ago only, but I'm still kinda paranoid about not getting confirmation.

I wouldn't worry, teams sent in later in the year tend to get the confirmation email in early January as TMIB has shitloads of processing to do on them.

• Like 1

Don't expect one, unless you send your team in the first few days of entries tmib is probably too busy to send confirmation as he'll be updating the masterlist and have more coming in, and have to deal with real life in addition to this.

What might be useful is an automated receipt from the email address to calm our nerves a bit, to confirm that it's at least gone to the ddp email address.

Be interesting to see if Jesus Jones goes for a comeback, if he's still the right side of the pearly gates.

Also looking to see if Mr C manages to come back and retain his father of the hearse title (out of interest is it 18 consecutive entries he's amassed?).

Noticed drunkasaskunk has also entered 18 years, presumably non-consecutive otherwise shouldnt he be delinated as father of the hearse joint?

Yes, he missed out on a couple in the early 2000s I think...

I'll send a confirmation email for those I have entered so far tonight...

• Like 1

Ah, it looks like I'm not the only one fretting about confirmation. :)

This is the first time I've managed to get my act together to enter, and even then I waited until Dec 29th.

Ah, it looks like I'm not the only one fretting about confirmation. :)

This is the first time I've managed to get my act together to enter, and even then I waited until Dec 29th.

Yeah I sent in my three Crumble teams a few week's back and mentioned it on forum. I just assumed OP had received them as they didn't question it when I posted it and just said crumbs lol!

I took that as my confirmation rightly or wrongly!

Theoretical question, if tomorrow by some insane fluke results in the death of every pick entered for the DDP before midnight, what would happen to the 2017 DDP?