themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

Emma Morano - aw, c'mon, how many more months has she got

If you ask me, she could become the next Jeanne Calment.

But that's also what I thought about Misao Okawa and Susannah Mushatt Jones...

1 minute ago, RadGuy said:

But that's also what I thought about Misao Okawa and Susannah Mushatt Jones...

There's over nine months to the end of the year - I'd say she's points in that time

I might join in the list-making later (everyone knows I don't really do many lists), but while I'm somewhat occupied:

25 minutes ago, joeyruss said:

Rick Davies: A Lee Evans Gambit I fell for, but I'm not writing him out completely. Yet. His cancer is incurable, so 20% will do.

1. This makes me so happy. Makes me sound far more Machiavellian...

2. It didn't even fool the person I was replying to. It got a drive-by hit instead.

3. Remember "Simon fucking Hoggart"...

Just now, RadGuy said:

We're overdue someone living to Calment's levels.

Maryport might not think that, given his team though.

Mind you, given the 198 points up for grabs for her in the Death by Numbers, Shaun might be hoping she sees 130...

1 minute ago, msc said:

2. It didn't even fool the person I was replying to. It got a drive-by hit instead.

Actually, I think he did fall for it as well.

14 minutes ago, joeyruss said:

Actually, I think he did fall for it as well.

B)

• Like 2

If you folks must know how I feel about my current survivors...

Tony Booth/Glen Campbell - As everyone has already said, surely this is their year.- 75% for both.

Paul Van-Zandvliet - Brain surgery has done bugger all - riddled with cancer - 100%

Errol Christie - Will probably go in the upcoming months, though something's nagging me about him still being alive - 80%

Leah Bracknell - Looked ghastly on Loose Women, but her treatment's still working - 75%

Gord Downie - His band mates recently accepted an award without him and they were clearly distressed, I think he's taken a turn for the worse - 95%

Alberto Fujimori - Picked him for entertainment reasons more than anything, but with a host of health problems he's still a solid pick - 55%

Mao Kobayashi - Rubbish choice of a joker, but I still think she'll die late in the year around the time of BBC's 100 Women 2017 - 70%

Smith Hart - Facebook has gone silent and he hasn't even paid tribute to Dennis Stamp, I think he's a goner - 85%

Valery Spiridonov - Not quite so confident in the operation going a-head, but he could always die naturally - 50%

King Michael of Romania - Most likely going to die this year, haven't a clue as to when - 90%

Clive James - Looked fecking gross in that interview from late 2016, but he's still active as a drama queen writer - 40%

Wondering how Spade and DDT both personally feel about their picks. I'm interested to know.

• Like 1

Mine:

Geoffrey BAYLDON -  dunno

Pope Emeritus BENEDICT XVI - weiss nicht

Nick BOLES - dunno

Tony BOOTH - dunno

Leah BRACKNELL - dunno 

Glen CAMPBELL - dunno

Errol CHRISTIE - dunno

Gord DOWNIE - dunno

Bruce FORSYTH - dunno

Jill GASCOINE - dunno

Greg GILBERT - dunno

King MICHAEL OF ROMANIA - nu știu

Jeanne MOCKFORD - dunno

Fernando RICKSEN - weet niet

Nobby STILES - dunno

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RadGuy said:

I'm not making the podium.

You never know. Hankins obitting might be a turning point in the competition tbh.

• Like 1

Ah, if we're all doing it...

Tony Booth - His accumulation of illnesses would make seeing the year out quite impressive... that being said cancer is seemingly the only thing he doesn't have (there was that one tumor but I get the feeling his wife would've mentioned it as cancer by now if it were the case) so he may yet sneak into another year. 80%

Leah Bracknell - Doing okay enough to not go in the next few months and has an outside chance of seeing the next year IMO, but most likely a goner this one. 80%

Charles Bradley - If I had to swap someone out in hindsight it would be him, especially given I could've gone for someone like Sumner or Wetton who were in the same age bracket but more likely to go (and in Wetton's case, worth more points as it turns out!). But I was also going "wasted pick" for my previous Daptone selectee much of last year, only for Miss Jones to take a nosedive later on. 50%

Errol Christie - Lung cancer for nearly two years now, and heading very close to it being a year since he was given a year to live amidst bone metastases. If he sees this year out, I'm going to really have to readjust my jokering tactics especially as it jinxed me out of the title in 2015. :unsure: 95%

Gord Downie - Looked okayish at his most recent public outing but is in the average lifespan ballpark for glioblastoma. 90%

Rayya Elias - Still keeping active despite having big bad pancreatic, for nearly a year now at that. Reckon she'll probably be a case where she has to cancel one of her shows due to health concerns and then spirals downhill rapidly within a couple of months. Till then, she's not yet on the clock. 75%

Colin Meads - Doing okayish enough that he should see summer, but he's still 80 with pan can so I'd fully expect the disease to take a firmer grasp not long after. 80%

King Michael of Romania - Should be a goner this year, though has surprised many with his resilience. 85%

Catherine Nevin - Surely any day now? 99%

Julia Perez - From what I can tell from snooping her social media and Google translate fu, she's been bedridden in the hospital for the past couple months now and God talk from her is on the uptick. Still a risky obit though, but now that I think of it maybe her social media presence (nearly 13m Instagram followers! even if they are nearly all Indonesian...) means she's not necessarily BBC-or-bust, and Mail/Mirror may well have a chance at covering her demise? 90% death, 50% obit

Simon Ricketts - Currently doing okay and responding well to treatment but I always felt he was a "dies late this year or just sees 2018" type so it doesn't particularly surprise me. 50%

Stefan Karl Stefansson - A contender for #1 among most likely to see the year out at the moment. His cancer will recur at some point and the decline will be swift after that, but when it happens is the big question... 50%

Paul Van-Zandvliet - Recent news on him sounds quite ominous. Would be impressed if he's still here in three months time. 95%

We are not all doing it.

All death is speculation. Unless they are terminal. In which case all obits are speculation.

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

We are not all doing it.

All death is speculation. Unless they are terminal. In which case all obits are speculation.

Life is speculation.

As Camus put it: "have you ever heard of a man with cancer being killed in an auto smash?"

And we all know what happened to him!

• Like 2

Oh, go on, you've convinced me...

Gord Downie - Reaching prognosis, missing from some stuff, weeks left imo. 95%

Al-Baghdadi - Actively being hunted down, 9 months of the year left. 80%

Alan Aspin obit - Hahaah next question.

Leah Bracknell - I'm not as optimistic as others. She looked a few months from death on Loose Women, to me. I'm thinking July. 95%

Colin Butts - Was crowdfunding to get a pioneering cancer op done privately after his terminal cancer reacted "unusually well" to chemo. Apparently he's doing quite well. 30%

Errol Christie - Coming up to his year, silent on social media. 90%

Rayya Elias - Well, she's had pancreatic/liver cancer for about a year, but is planning gigs in August. 75%

Greg Gilbert - He'll be gone within a year. Just which side of Christmas, I'm not sure. 70%

Anna Holmlund - Deteriorated considerably in the last few weeks, apparently. 50%

Sasha Lakovic - Should go any day now, but obit worries exist. 90%

Catherine Nevin - Should go any day now. 99%

Simon Ricketts - A 2017/18er, chemo working the now so likely to be a 2018er. 65%

Stefan Karl Stefansson - Doing well for now, but likely to go in 2018. 55%

Ben Suisala - He'll go this year, but obit might be tricky. 90%

Paul Van Zandvliet - the op failed, and he's got pancreatic cancer and glioblastoma. 99%

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Mine:

Geoffrey BAYLDON -  dunno

Pope Emeritus BENEDICT XVI - weiss nicht

Nick BOLES - dunno

Tony BOOTH - dunno

Leah BRACKNELL - dunno 

Glen CAMPBELL - dunno

Errol CHRISTIE - dunno

Gord DOWNIE - dunno

Bruce FORSYTH - dunno

Jill GASCOINE - dunno

Greg GILBERT - dunno

King MICHAEL OF ROMANIA - nu știu

Jeanne MOCKFORD - dunno

Fernando RICKSEN - weet niet

Nobby STILES - dunno

Admiring your consistency there Toast

• Like 1

Mine:

Daisy Berkowitz:Stage 4 cancer but still active :55%

Errol Christie :Fucked stage 4 lung cancer.Been ill for ages .98%

Helen Fawkes:Advanced ovarian cancer.Been silent for several months:75%

Pete Frates:Advanced Als.65%

Paul Gascoigne.Wildcard but must be a relapse or two from death:60%

Kris Hallenga:Stage 4 cancer but still active.30%

Valerie Harper:Terminal cancer .Seems to be plodding along ok but has been quiet lately 55%

Smith Hart:Terminal cancer.Looks like death warmed up and has disappeared of social media:80%

Stephen Hawking:ALS living miracle but a common cold could finish him off:35%

Clive James:Seems stable at the moment but has loads wrong with him.50%

King Michael.Two types of cancer.Was said to be fading away a few months ago.85%

Kenny Sansom:Like Gazza but older and has diabetes:65%

Stefan Karl:Seems to be doing ok but pancreatic cancer is lethal:45%

Nobby Stiles:Said to be going downhill fast.80%

5 minutes ago, Grande Pablo said:

Oh we know, already on the round up, GP and congrats. Given the character actors ignored by the press in recent years, it's nice to know they can still obit alongside Polish conductors and anyone, and I mean anyone, who was in WW2.

I'd like to think the DDP might continue on in future years, has any further thought been given to this? I'm still too new to appreciate fully the devotion that goes into this, although even I can certainly only applaud TMIB's perseverance over the time I have been doing this and can understand why he has indicated it's his last year.

Also, I'd like to put on record that while I may disagree with people's picks, notability, etc, I knew when submitting my teams the rules that applied beforehand. To mine own self be true when I submit a team, as for the most part I shall be sorry to see them go, rather than see them as a positive stepping stone to victory. Everyone plays differently and within the rules. So on we go...

It seems like there's a whole load of collective navel-gazing while we wait around to scoop up the next fish that floats to the top of the barrel, or summat. 

As for my squad, no idea.  Time will tell; some will die, some won't.   I'm not really a stats man. :)

Each year I tend to pick a total wildcard for the hell of it (e.g Ed Drummond, Gary Haggerty, Chris Sanigar, etc).  This year I went for the former boxer Steve Pollard and drunkenly decided he would get an obit based on several considerations

- Kellie (formerly Frank) Maloney was "moved to tears" by his plight    

- He's a friend of Roland Gift from the Fine Young Cannibals

- Hull is the UK city of culture this year.  Steve Pollard is from Hull

- He coached Paul Ingle to become a world champion 

I'm not sure any of that will be enough, but that might be beside the point as I've no idea what's wrong with him and only know that a fundraising evening was held for him last year.  I found some footage taken last month of him at a proposed new boxing gym in Hull and he doesn't look or sound quite right IMO.  Anyway, I'll await with interest to see what happens.   But, ultimately, who am I to reduce him to being a mere statistical possibility of scoring me some more deadpool points? 

• Like 3

I'm not sure the top three finishers will be DQSBP, TJS, and Golden Slumbers. I feel as some of the important gambles of the other teams could outweigh the impact of their own gambles. Potentially.

Hmm. Another big update due to the names next time I'm guessing.

If I have a guess, I think Golden Slumbers, David Quantick Showbiz Pals and To Kill A Garbor Sister are safe bets for the top ten, and I'd say Thomas Jefferson Survives is likely to be there as well. But predicting the rest of the teams will have to lie on how the gambles go. For example, if The Living End shows up, it's going to rely on Baghdadi getting killed and two of his uniques dying to guarantee a top ten spot (say Pollard doesn't die). Whereas I would need the Suisala joker punt and one of my other gambles to go correctly for a top ten spot, or three of my gambles without the joker. Chorizo needs another punt such as Pete Frates to gain that top ten spot, and Still Life heavily relies on Gilbert and Stefansson both surviving and Kobayashi obitting for the top ten spot. But then again, this is my first year, so I just talking about stuff that might not even happen. :lol: 

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 21:44, Shaun of the Dead said:

Mine:

Daisy Berkowitz:Stage 4 cancer but still active :55%

Errol Christie :Fucked stage 4 lung cancer.Been ill for ages .98%

Helen Fawkes:Advanced ovarian cancer.Been silent for several months:75%

Pete Frates:Advanced Als.65%

Paul Gascoigne.Wildcard but must be a relapse or two from death:60%

Kris Hallenga:Stage 4 cancer but still active.30%

Valerie Harper:Terminal cancer .Seems to be plodding along ok but has been quiet lately 55%

Smith Hart:Terminal cancer.Looks like death warmed up and has disappeared of social media:80%

Stephen Hawking:ALS living miracle but a common cold could finish him off:35%

Clive James:Seems stable at the moment but has loads wrong with him.50%

King Michael.Two types of cancer.Was said to be fading away a few months ago.85%

Kenny Sansom:Like Gazza but older and has diabetes:65%

Stefan Karl:Seems to be doing ok but pancreatic cancer is lethal:45%

Nobby Stiles:Said to be going downhill fast.80%

I'd say Gazza and Sansom might both live to play key roles in 2018 teams - no news about either is bad news for us. The tabloids love a good Gazza meltdown and they've been notably absent in 2017

Latest update...

• Like 4

Hankins is probably one of the best DDP gambles in history. Someone who wasn't expected to obit but did (plus the unique bonus) means RadGuy could potentially be the one taking the title from DQSBP. I think he's the favorite now, at least for me, tbh. 

• Like 1