football_fan

New Here And Just Saying Hello

Nice to see some good, articulate and intelligent newbies joining.

They will balance out the forum bell ends ( me ) a treat. :D

• Like 3

I'm sorry that it's taken me this long to write up something in the intros thread. I honestly thought I had.

Here's my official hello at last. I'm pushing 41, and I'm a non-surfer-girl who lives in Maui, Hawaii. I have a fairly weird mix of interests that includes Discworld, nonduality, Hawaiian music (Keali'i Reichel, Kuana Torres Kahele), Minecraft, collecting some types of dolls, and old cars (that is more of a drool-from-a-distance thing, sadly, but my dream car is a 1950 Buick.) I'm currently reading books by Rupert Spira and Adyashanti.

I have actually been lurking here for several years. Yep, I know how creepy that sounds. The length of the time I've been lurking shows my appreciation of the particular atmosphere of the board, with its wry dry humor. Even though I obviously must enjoy the board a lot to stay with it for so long, I have never really joined in for a few reasons: 1) I have memory issues that make trying to put together a list unnecessarily difficult to do. 2) I'm a bit short on the ready wit and snappy comebacks that are such a trademark of the posters here. 3) Being non-British, a lot of stuff about people famous only in the UK is unfortunately a mystery to me.

I picked my username with the idea of maybe having some sort of witty title under it at some point the way Time does.

What types of dolls? I used to collect dolls too, don't have the room any more though.

I'm sorry that it's taken me this long to write up something in the intros thread. I honestly thought I had.

Here's my official hello at last. I'm pushing 41, and I'm a non-surfer-girl who lives in Maui, Hawaii. I have a fairly weird mix of interests that includes Discworld, nonduality, Hawaiian music (Keali'i Reichel, Kuana Torres Kahele), Minecraft, collecting some types of dolls, and old cars (that is more of a drool-from-a-distance thing, sadly, but my dream car is a 1950 Buick.) I'm currently reading books by Rupert Spira and Adyashanti.

I have actually been lurking here for several years. Yep, I know how creepy that sounds. The length of the time I've been lurking shows my appreciation of the particular atmosphere of the board, with its wry dry humor. Even though I obviously must enjoy the board a lot to stay with it for so long, I have never really joined in for a few reasons: 1) I have memory issues that make trying to put together a list unnecessarily difficult to do. 2) I'm a bit short on the ready wit and snappy comebacks that are such a trademark of the posters here. 3) Being non-British, a lot of stuff about people famous only in the UK is unfortunately a mystery to me.

I picked my username with the idea of maybe having some sort of witty title under it at some point the way Time does.

What types of dolls? I used to collect dolls too, don't have the room any more though.

How can you run out of room? Just deflate them!

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum, Angels, even if I have seen you around prior to the intro post.

Great avatar, incidentally.

• Like 1

Welcome, Angels. I've recently started posting after lurking for a while too. You're not alone in not knowing some of the names that crop up here. I've no clue whatsoever who Gord Downie is other than some folk round her expect him to leave us this year. Maybe it's because I'm an out of touch granny. lol You'll be fine. xx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gord_Downie

Basically he is the lead singer for Canadian group The Tragically Hip. He was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer in May 2016.

With that said there are many names that come up here and I have no idea who they are. I'm just another out of touch granny with a yarn (wool)

fetish. :)

Excellent, always fun to meet a fellow collector. What doll(s) did you collect? I tend to focus on 18" dolls like American Girl, Maplelea, etc, and to a lesser degree, 11 1/2" fashion dolls. If I had money, though, I'd collect those gorgeous late 1800s French dolls like Bru. The prices they sell for, though, make me wish the good Doc would be kind enough to lend me the Tardis for a bit so I could time travel back and buy these dolls new.

I'm new and just thought I'd drop a line (or it looks like three now), just to say "Hi guys" 😊.

• Like 1

Hello to all. I am also new. I like so much this web

• Like 1

Welcome earl :)

• Like 1

Welcome earl :)

^^

The smile of an assassin.... :lol:

• Like 2

Lol ffs, genuine lol :D

• Like 2

Not a "new here" situation, but this might be the best thread:

Today, January 9th, was my 2 year anniversary of making an account on here.

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome and generally tolerating my shitposting.

• Like 1

Hey! I'm (clearly) new here - was directed here by one of the many news articles on the website after the celebrity deaths of last year, and honestly I found this really interesting - much more healthy than the self-feeding cycle of grief that my social media sites were after the big names died last year.

(I can't say much though - as a fan of both the Harry Potter and Star Wars series, I wasn't much better after Alan Rickman and Carrie Fisher) (That said, the constant cycle of grief for celebrities who most people on my social media didn't care about until the died was very annoying.)

About me - I'm 22, female, and Indian. I like a weird and eclectic mix of books, and being non-British, a lot of the names on the main Death List, as well as those being discussed in the forums, are a bit unknown to me. I'm happy to Google them once I hear about them though!

• Like 1

Hello all,I've been on the forum for a month, but have only just stumbled across the intro page so please accept my apologies for being so tardy in saying hello.

I'm a fifty year old male, 5 feet 9inches tall, GSOH, financially self-sufficient and am a car owner.

Shit - wrong site!

• Like 3

^^ if bald, then lfn hasn't bothered much with a back story for this account....

• Like 1

Hello all,I've been on the forum for a month, but have only just stumbled across the intro page so please accept my apologies for being so tardy in saying hello.

I'm a fifty year old male, 5 feet 9inches tall, GSOH, financially self-sufficient and am a car owner.

Shit - wrong site!

Can I ask why you've chosen such a feminine sounding user name?

Shit - wrong site!

Can I ask why you've chosen such a feminine sounding user name?

I've absolutely no idea. I guess I just like the sound of it

• Like 1

Could not be a better welcome

thanks chaps.