Death Impends

Inverse Dead Pool 2018

If they are dead they don't get included in the 50.

:facepalm:

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

If they are dead they don't get included in the 50.

:facepalm:

I...know that, but your post made it sound like 2 Drop 40ers had died, so, given I was out of the house most of the afternoon, I was confused and thinking "What the hell did I miss?" :lol:

1 minute ago, msc said:

I...know that, but your post made it sound like 2 Drop 40ers had died, so, given I was out of the house most of the afternoon, I was confused and thinking "What the hell did I miss?" :lol:

How would I know who the Drop 40/Top 50 are/were?

And dead people don't make the list of 50. Otherwise there would be no need for a rule about it! ^_^

Added the "Snuka rule", we could call it, to the OP. Open to tinkering with it until the submission period opens:

On 1/2/2018 at 12:45, Death Impends said:

NEW RULE: In case one of the names available for entry dies before the submission deadline, you are allowed to have one sub. The sub can be anyone from the top 50 or the 51st most popular name, who will be revealed alongside the top 50. The 51st name can not be part of the original 25 if no one dies. In the case of one of your original team dying pre-deadline, the sub goes into 25th place by default, but you are allowed to change the position of the new pick. If the above scenario happens, you are also allowed to name a new sub and I will reveal the 52nd most popular name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just in the ddp 2018 thread of people posting their teams Rayya Elias is on 20 teams already,hard to imagine she was wouldn't get picked up by at least 12-15 other teams since she was on so many teams at the top of DDP 2017 table. I wouldn't say drop 40 is entirely a lock but if she wasn't among the top 50 I would be pretty shocked.

Edited by The Quim Reaper
Edit: Deleted

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Not on this game. In the main DDP. To clarify.

If that happens with 2 or more of the 50....

Main DDP, at least from what I can see, is 2 hits with obits, 1 that looks like List of the Lost but may get an obit, and 1 List of the Missed who might be an actual hit depending on the final picks, since he was picked last year. Of those 4, Elias might well be Drop 40, and I wouldn't be surprised if Vervoort is as well, and goes before this game officially starts - whether before the 50 names are out, or while lists have to be turned in.

:tomatododge:

Edited by Mercarte
OPS

I think that the intention is the DDP top 50 picks, not deathlist's 50 picks...

• Like 2

On 1/2/2018 at 18:45, Death Impends said:

INVERSE DEAD POOL 2018

Right, another new year, another year of guessing which of the creme de la creme amongst DDP nominations will dodge Mr. Reaper's surly grasp for the next twelve months. After doing a solid job as host for the past few years, The Dead Cow has chosen to step down and pass the baton to me. Despite a few easy bets for survival like Donald Trump and Val Kilmer, 2017 was brutal for the IDP with 20 deaths, more and more dead certs occupying the top 50, and many teams keeping misguided faith in the continued survival of Daisy Berkowitz and Helen Fawkes. drol won with 25 points, a commendable result considering no one else finished under 40 and only two other teams under 50.

Rules

• From the list of the 50 most popular DDP picks of 2018, pick a team of 25 names who you think will survive the year.
  • Rank your list in order of least likely to die to least least likely to die.
  • Post your team in this thread.
  • If someone dies and they are listed on your team, then you will receive points according to their position. If your #1 pick dies you'll receive 25 points, whilst if your #25 pick dies you'll receive 1 point. If someone dies and they are not on your list, then you receive no points.
  • NEW RULE: In case one of the names available for entry dies before the submission deadline, you are allowed to have one sub. The sub can be anyone from the top 50 or the 51st most popular name, who will be revealed alongside the top 50. The 51st name can not be part of the original 25 if no one dies. In the case of one of your original team dying pre-deadline, the sub goes into 25th place by default, but you are allowed to change the position of the new pick. If the above scenario happens, you are also allowed to name a new sub and I will reveal the 52nd most popular name.
  • Whoever has the lowest score at the end of the year is the winner.

Credit to Toast for inadvertently coming up with a peach of a topic description, and of course, credit to Spade for creating this wonderful game. Credit to Dead Cow for his job as previous host, having a well-organized OP to C&P for this year, and the idea for a "dies during entry period" rule.

Previous Winners

2017 - drol

2016 - Pedro67

2015 - Death Impends

2014 - Bibliogryphon

2013 - N/A

2012 - Esturian Float

2011 - Garn2

Top 50

TBD

When are the names coming? :lol:

Won't be until the DDP opens up shop and Spade gives me them.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2018 at 11:27, Death Impends said:

Won't be until the DDP opens up shop and Spade gives me them  them to me.

I am NOT a stickler for grammar, I promise, but did your brain actually think the sentence you typed?  I'd give my brain a good lashing if it came up with 'gives me them'.  
SC

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I am NOT a stickler for grammar, I promise, but did your brain actually think the sentence you typed?  I'd give my brain a good lashing if it came up with 'gives me them'.  
SC

This isn't the HPDP.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

When I add the letters 'th' to 'em' that gives me them.

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

When I add the letters 'th' to 'em' that gives me them.

Doesn't it give you 'emth'? :duck:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

Doesn't it give you 'emth'? :duck:

Give it a shake and allow it to crystallize you could get meth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I am NOT a stickler for grammar,

I'm NOT one for prescience as a rule but* I got to this point and I sensed a 'but' arriving imminently.......and so it came to pass, Mystic Meg you have nothing on me.

On topic: I'd like another go at this this year if I may, perhaps I won't cop 32 points or so within a  week this time.

*is an ironic 'but' even possible? Maybe.

Alrighty, an update.

Spade has kindly given me the top 50 living names (the Reaper has already paid a visit to the initial top 50!) plus #51 (a tie as to who, actually. I'll figure out how to handle that in the interim...) - many thanks. I'll wait until the official DDP opening period to unveil these names. My own team will be posted concurrently and the submission period will then be open.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Alrighty, an update.

Spade has kindly given me the top 50 living names (the Reaper has already paid a visit to the initial top 50!) plus #51 (a tie as to who, actually. I'll figure out how to handle that in the interim...) - many thanks. I'll wait until the official DDP opening period to unveil these names. My own team will be posted concurrently and the submission period will then be open.

How many of the top 51 are already dead?

And we are open!

I chose to decide who would be the #51 pick - Chris Rea - via the magic of Random.org. The other name was Carol Channing.

Entry period closes on Jan 27.

As for my team:

1. Donald Trump
  2. Paul Gascoigne
  3. Dick Van Dyke
  4. Betty White
  5. Val Kilmer
  6. Queen Elizabeth II
  7. Jimmy Carter
  8. Angela Lansbury
  9. Linda Nolan
  10. Olivia Newton-John
  11. Doris Day
  12. Prince Philip
  13. Little Richard
  14. Aretha Franklin
  15. Bob Barker
  16. Catherine Nevin
  17. Fernando Ricksen
  18. Devin Lima
  19. Simon Ricketts
  20. Terry Jones
  21. Prunella Scales
  22. Alberto Fujimori
  23. Olivia de Havilland
  24. Robert Mugabe
  25. Stephen Hawking

SUB: Chris Rea

1. Donald Trump 

2. Paul Gascoigne

3. Little Richard

4. Terry Jones

5. Dick van Dyke

6. Henry Kissinger

7. Bob Barker

8. Catherine Nevin 

9. Val Kilmer

10. Betty White 

11. Queen Elizabeth 

12. Olivia Newton- John

13. Doris Day

14. Linda Nolan

15. Simon Ricketts 

16. Alberto Fujimori 

17. Angela Lansbury 

18. Devin Lima 

19. Jimmy Carter

20. Olivia de Haviland 

21. Prunella Scales

22. Robert Mugabe 

23. Valerie Harper 

24. Stephen Hawking

25. Aretha Franklin

SUB: Chris Rea

Here comes failure #2...

• Like 1

And FWIW, there were two "Drop 50" fatalities - Rayya Elias and Jessica Falkholt.

Holy heck, I thought last year's list was tough.

I'll cobble something together and post my team shortly. Thanks DI.