Sign in to follow this  
msc

The Deathlist Cup 2018

Sounds like The Queen.....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Hmmm - intriguing - if this was 20 questions I'm struggling!

Close to a household name, regular newspaper interviews and odd TV spots but not actually famous for anything in their own right?

The anonymous carbon rod who starred on The Simpsons

• Like 1

On 25/01/2018 at 15:58, Grim Up North said:

Hmmm - intriguing - if this was 20 questions I'm struggling!

Close to a household name, regular newspaper interviews and odd TV spots but not actually famous for anything in their own right?

Some famous person's sick relative?

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Some famous person's sick relative?

tbh there might be a decent chance you've actually met the person at some point? I know my mum did at one point in, iirc, the early 80s.

Also: yes. Mind you, I always think my clues are bloody obvious. Another two clues then. The person has at least one song by a (imo) pretty major band sung about them, and they have their own Wiki page. You can see the evidence that built for them to become an acceptable pick.

16 minutes ago, msc said:

tbh there might be a decent chance you've actually met the person at some point? I know my mum did at one point in, iirc, the early 80s.

Also: yes. Mind you, I always think my clues are bloody obvious. Another two clues then. The person has at least one song by a (imo) pretty major band sung about them, and they have their own Wiki page. You can see the evidence that built for them to become an acceptable pick.

Major band in your opinion - so, like The Fall, Smiths or some characterful indie lot or are we talking more mainstream acts and the song's about some groupie of old who shagged everyone? Leaves me wondering if Rosie - as in whole lotta - is still breathing

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Major band in your opinion - so, like The Fall, Smiths or some characterful indie lot or are we talking more some groupie of old who shagged everyone. Leaves me wondering if Rosie - as in whole lotta - is still breathing

Not a groupie (to the best of my knowledge!) and bigger than The Fall for sure.

What kind of phenomenon are you talking about???

• Like 1

Stacey's Mom?

nah, scrub that, just seen the other clues.

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2018 at 12:05, msc said:

12.    In the event of a draw, the following tiebreaks will be used:

1st tiebreak = number of hits
2nd tiebreak = average age of hits
3rd tiebreak = flip of a coin
4th tiebreak if needed = asking my child which team has the cooler name (heh)

And by average age you mean YOUNGEST prevails, I am virtually certain.  But for clarification's sake, it should be noted I suppose.  You know how people are lol

SC

Edit: Frankly I'm fine with #4 being the sole tie-break.  It gives us insight into your demented parenting (Lord knows I am), how cool your child is, and forces us to come up with 'cool' names.

Just now, Sir Creep said:

And by average age you mean YOUNGEST prevails, I am virtually certain.  But for clarification's sake, it should be noted I suppose.  You know how people are lol

SC

Youngest average yes. iirc the one time this came up in 2017, someone was screwed because they had Emma Morano on their team and you can't get much of a higher average than that!

Marys mention of Rosie made me wonder if there was indeed a Gloria.

Wiki wormhole https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_(Them_song)

Look at the cover versions.... The amount of folk that are deid whilst Van strolls on.

Morrison, Hendrix, Bowie, Strummer , Scott etc etc.

Only Shane lives on almost. (Down to his edit God favours him).

2 hours ago, msc said:

Youngest average yes. iirc the one time this came up in 2017, someone was screwed because they had Emma Morano on their team and you can't get much of a higher average than that!

I lost to Heef on average age I think and it wasn't Emma Morano - he had some fairly young Antipodean racehorse trainer if I remember rightly.

Certainly one of the ties at one stage was dependent on Emma Morano vs.... ah who cares. :D

• Like 1

Morano was relevant to the Spade VS deadsox tie. If Morano was deadsox's only hit he would've lost on the age tiebreaker, obv. But then Sasha Lakovic died and it turned out he set the narrative for the remainder of the Cup!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, msc said:

Philomena Lynott, right?

Anyway, I'll enter my team this weekend. Probs won't have time Monday-Wednesday, and knowing my luck a ton of people will enter hospice care then.

22 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Philomena Lynott, right?

Anyway, I'll enter my team this weekend. Probs won't have time Monday-Wednesday, and knowing my luck a ton of people will enter hospice care then.

Don’t think it’s Lynott, especially since Maryport already posted her on her team. I do think I know who they are though, but I probably won’t be picking them anyways...

This mystery pick wasn't - perchance - Stacey (still cooling) wife of singer Paul Young was it?

TEAMS STILL TO COME IN

pedro
The Dead Cow
Grim
Wormfarmer
Spade
Roverandout
JoeyRuss
Garn
Sean
Gcreptile
Sir Creep

Team submitted,

I hope they all pass (the notability test, and away)

Good luck Mr. Key.

On 1/28/2018 at 01:15, msc said:

TEAMS STILL TO COME IN

pedro
The Dead Cow
Grim
Wormfarmer
Spade
Roverandout
JoeyRuss
Garn
Sean
Gcreptile
Sir Creep

Yeah - I'm finding it much harder to press send on my team this year.

Last year I struggled to cobble together 11 names - this year I've got a squad of 32 and that's making it more difficult - a lot of the ones who haven't made my selection I know will be in other teams and could easily die - so much agonising over 'just a bit of fun'. :D

• Haha 1

I thought I missed the deadline?

40 minutes ago, Sean said:

I thought I missed the deadline?

No, the deadline for this game has always been end of the month before a round. So you're in the February games, you've got till midnight on the 31st January.

• Like 2

Can someone tell my picks to stop dying before the whistle goes to start.

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Yeah - I'm finding it much harder to press send on my team this year.

Last year I struggled to cobble together 11 names - this year I've got a squad of 32 and that's making it more difficult - a lot of the ones who haven't made my selection I know will be in other teams and could easily die - so much agonising over 'just a bit of fun'. :D

I've submitted to get it out of the way - it was starting to ruin my life!!:blush:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I've submitted to get it out of the way - it was starting to ruin my life!!:blush:

Yes, I remember last year the Cup really burned me out. At some point, enough is enough.

Just submitted my team.I would say I have a fair chance of getting to round two.I did however stick to the spirit of the game I.e no famous for being ill picks.All picks are notable for reasons other than being sick.Am worried I may lose a couple of picks before the start line but the subs are decent enough.I also avoided very old people.No picks over 95.