Sign in to follow this  
Joey Russ

Dead Pooling Regrets

I'm not sure if a thread like this has been done before, but after doing some research on another topic, this idea popped into my head. So I wonder, what decisions in dead pooling have you made in the past that you regret making? I'll start with a few of my own:

1. Picking Alan Aspin and Ben Suisala in the DDP last year. There's a couple of reasons I regret this, one being of course that they died and didn't obit, but it's more due to the fact that a. I gambled on a FFBI type (and jokered one of them), and b. later realizing that, in hindsight, this type of FFBI were never going to obit afterwards (which is partly why I steered clear of Ian Toothill despite all of his coverage when he did his amazing feat). It did make me realize though that FFBI types aren't really worth picking, and steered completely away from them, even if the last person dropped did die and obit (Sara Chivers).

2. Linda Nolan, this DDP pick is embarrassing to me because I never even considered her till the final days of last year, and she replaced, imo, an even stronger DDP pick that I could've chose (Nobby Stiles). 

3. Going away from the realm of the DDP, probably my biggest dead pooling regret thus far has to be choosing Pete Sampras in Windy City 2017 - 2018. While replacing him with another sub wouldn't have changed my ranking in the pool, I should've at least done some research on him before submitting my Windy City team (although, iirc, there was another major life event that happened the same day I submitted, so I have a small bit of leeway I think). 

Hmm. Linda Nolan is probably a regret for me as well as (in one pool, I forget which but i think it's one of those that Sean runs) Rick Davies.

• Like 4

Not picking the co-producer of Frasier in the 2001 "Second Week of September" deadpool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This may yet work out but at the moment I'm regretting picking Marieke Vervoort as my DDP Joker.

• Like 1

I could easily say Scott Thorson or John Wicks for my biggest regret, but jokering Martin Crowe the year before he died, while not a bad decision on paper, actually cost me a title. So has to be that one.

55 minutes ago, deadsox said:

This may yet work out but at the moment I'm regretting picking Marieke Vervoort as my DDP Joker.

At first I thought about that, too.

But it's her birthday on 10th of May, so maybe that will be the day... finally.

Hmm... I don't think so.

Thought I'd pop into these dead pool threads as a flying visit to see what's new. Not much by the looks of things. 

As you were.

Worst move so far is making John Wetton my final cut from last year's DDP.  At least that's how history will record it.
SC

Dropping Helen Suzman the day before she carked it. 

Back in late 2012, we had a chat facility on here, which actually got used. There it was, one night in December, a few of us were discussing DDP tips - I forget who, now. Anyone, one forum member was expressing doubt about Bernie Nolan as a DDP pick. She's a must, I said, and went onto list several reasons, from the severity of her condition, to the spread of it, etc etc. iirc they did pick her, and thus got points.

Whereas I completely forgot about her when I wrote my team down.

I mean, the combination of Kris Travis (turned down to be nice, an idiotic move in hindsight) and any single one of the names I knew were ill but I didn't pick (Brinson/Plowright/Mulligan/Jock Scot/Fekete/Paul Cox/Aherne/Esterhazy/Caslavska) would have won me the 2016 DDP, but that's after the fact. Whereas Nolan didn't change a single thing, the slip of memory just annoys me.

Dropping Nanette Fabray, Mort Walker, Johan van Hulst and Michael Anderson from my finalized 2018 list.

As the Deathlist Cup is the premier tournament, my biggest regret was not picking Earl Hagaman.

Cost me a age-tie-breaking with against Death Impends in the Semi Final. Hagaman was a Kiwi and was going through a high profile court case against the Head of the Opposition at the time. Absolutely stupid, glaring miss and it cost me. It cost me.

Ah, the thrill of the Cup!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, msc said:

Back in late 2012, we had a chat facility on here, which actually got used.

No intention of hijacking the thread, but I will not let this opportunity pass.  Why the FUCK is the chat room gone, I enjoyed the few times I found someone roaming in there.  Had 4-5 people in there a couple times.
*descends soap box*

• Like 1

I regret dropping Stephen Hawking and Billy Graham from this year's DDP.No hits since  Valentines day on my main team.

I regret dropping Stephen Hawking on this year's DDP as well

I dropped Joseph Jackson (Michael's Dad) from DDP and other pools this year as well, thought he'd last ages considering his family history of people living to very old ages...

Having Matt Cappotelli as sub #1 for Windy City. The "maximum 5 years" life expectancy threw me off and, from what was in the public domain, I thought he could last until May 2019. Immediately after that it became obvious that he's fucked.

My grandfather once told me his biggest deadpooling regret .It was picking a squad of Manchester City players for his 1958 Theme team instead of Manchester United

On 07/05/2018 at 10:23, deadsox said:

I feel ya now. 

For this year, I think there's three names in particular that I regret leaving off my team (and for the last one, never really considered even though I should've): Lee Kerslake, Terry DeCarlo, and David Hagen. That said, I'm not saying I would've won had I picked those three. The two names I had the hardest time picking for my main team were Samantha Last and Gianluca Vialli, so one of them could've replaced Last. Plus Andretti, Blackmore, and Jones were among the final entries for my team as well so one of them could've been cut as well...

I regret the most that I picked Sam Lloyd only as a sub.

With his points I could have stand inside the top 10 easily.

But without his points I'm only inside the top 15 <_<

Nonetheless, I have to say that I've never had more hits and more points than this year.

But there was also incredibly strong competition!

I'm a terrible team manager in fantasy football so it would only make sense for my inability to put out a winning roster would transition over to this. I had Banali, Last, Hagen and Scruton on my B-team. The first 3 I put there because I wasn't too high on them QO'ing iirc and Scruton I didn't think would D40. 

As for everywhere else, I cut Sam Lloyd & Doug Supernaw due to their recovering health mid last year only for them to take a downturn this year. I'm already planning on cutting a few expectedly big names this year because I don't believe they are in as ill as health as they may be labelled, so we'll see how that turns out for me.

Also, missing out on the Qaboos news I believe cost me in Deathrace.

My biggest regret is picking 2 FFBI types in the misguided belief that such a strategy was essential to having a shot at winning the thing.  Immediately regretted it once I realised that the better, more long-established and classier teams had all avoided such picks. On top of that, they are both still alive and probably wouldn't QO if they did go, which pretty much ruled out any chance of catching Greptile (although I doubt I would have anyway). It is no more than I deserve for the two really poor picks. I applaud the committee for ruling those  out next year- it will make for a much better game.