DeathClock

Joe Biden

14 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Tier A: Josh Shapiro or Andy Beshear

Tier B: Roy Cooper, Gretchen Whitmer

Tier C: Mark Kelly, Pete Buttigieg

I'd like it to be Josh Shapiro. But Beshear might work, too.

Edit: Newsom needed to run against Biden this year. That was his chance. And they don't come twice.

Ironically while this year the Democrats have struggled for competent options for the Presidency, in 2028 those individuals, with a few more years under their belt in their respective offices, would create a group of death set of primaries IMO.

He's got under 6 months left as President (given he doesn't die or resign) but I wonder how long it'll take after leaving office for him to be diagnosed with some sort of debilitating illness. It was 5 years after Reagan left office that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and the concerns about his health weren't nearly as bad as the one's Biden has been facing.

Democrats went from a 0-15% chance (if that) to a 35-50% chance of winning either the President, the Senate, or the House. Kudos!

When was the last time a politician willingly gave up so much power? Hope Biden makes the right choice and resigns as well, but alas.

22 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

Ironically while this year the Democrats have struggled for competent options for the Presidency, in 2028 those individuals, with a few more years under their belt in their respective offices, would create a group of death set of primaries IMO.

Agreed. I had thought that 2020 was a stroke of luck, because the democratic bench was weak. Obama wasn't building talent well, but his VP stepped up and was helped immensely by Covid. But for 2028, the bench was fantastic. Now there's the unusual situation that somebody who normally wouldnt win the primaries gets on the ticket. So now, the moderate Andy Beshear has a path, but Gavin Newsom does not.

• Like 1

If Jimmy Carter somehow manages to live for another 6 months, and Trump looses the election, we may have for the first time in US history, 7 living presidents.

• Like 2

America may be ready to elect a female president but are they ready to elect a Black one? I sincerely hope so.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

He's got under 6 months left as President (given he doesn't die or resign) but I wonder how long it'll take after leaving office for him to be diagnosed with some sort of debilitating illness. It was 5 years after Reagan left office that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and the concerns about his health weren't nearly as bad as the one's Biden has been facing.

With all the gaffes recently it is apparent he is in the early stages of it already, hence the necessity of him stepping down.

5 hours ago, MortalCaso said:

Hope Biden makes the right choice and resigns as well, but alas.

That wouldn't be a very smart move for him. There is no way the current house is letting Harris nominate a VP,  never mind the implications of counting electoral votes come January 6th...

27 minutes ago, Joltin Joe said:

That wouldn't be a very smart move for him. There is no way the current house is letting Harris nominate a VP,  never mind the implications of counting electoral votes come January 6th...

Not really about smart though is it?

He's incompetent. Why is he President?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Tier A: Josh Shapiro or Andy Beshear

Tier B: Roy Cooper, Gretchen Whitmer

Tier C: Mark Kelly, Pete Buttigieg

I'd like it to be Josh Shapiro. But Beshear might work, too.

Edit: Newsom needed to run against Biden this year. That was his chance. And they don't come twice.

Cooper makes the most sense. North Carolina is a slightly right of center swing state and he’s termed out as Governor.

3 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Cooper makes the most sense. North Carolina is a slightly right of center swing state and he’s termed out as Governor.

Shapiro makes the most sense.  The Democrats must win Pennsylvania to have any chance, and Shapiro is extremely popular there (59% approval rating) as Governor.  Polling showed Trump well ahead this week in PA (something like 6-7 points), so getting Harris on the ticket plus adding the popular governor just might put it back in play.  Cooper isn't enough to put NC in play imo.  Mark Kelly would be my next choice.  Relatively moderate senator from Arizona, married to former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, who of course was shot in the head and survived.  He can be a great messenger on gun issues, and I just like him and think he's reasonable.  

Buttigieg is my favorite candidate but yeah, that wouldn't be a smart decision.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MrWonderful said:

Shapiro makes the most sense.  The Democrats must win Pennsylvania to have any chance, and Shapiro is extremely popular there (59% approval rating) as Governor.  Polling showed Trump well ahead this week in PA (something like 6-7 points), so getting Harris on the ticket plus adding the popular governor just might put it back in play.  Cooper isn't enough to put NC in play imo.  Mark Kelly would be my next choice.  Relatively moderate senator from Arizona, married to former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, who of course was shot in the head and survived.  He can be a great messenger on gun issues, and I just like him and think he's reasonable.  

Buttigieg is my favorite candidate but yeah, that wouldn't be a smart decision.  

The biggest problem being that Kelly only can directly deliver arizona, and even that is questionable. I don't think adding him to the ticket would be able to move a five-point deficit...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jcc said:

America may be ready to elect a female president but are they ready to elect a Black one? I sincerely hope so.

FTFY

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlJ4ZwNR5h_VyPNDygNN7

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

FTFY

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlJ4ZwNR5h_VyPNDygNN7

My point was that whilst Americans will have no problem voting for a female POTUS (Hillary got nearly 3m more votes than Trump) they may not want that historic first appointment going to a woman of colour.

6 hours ago, Comped said:

The biggest problem being that Kelly only can directly deliver arizona, and even that is questionable. I don't think adding him to the ticket would be able to move a five-point deficit...

I agree with you that AZ is not as important as PA, but Kelly probably has the largest name recognition nationally, so that might count for something.  Shapiro is the +200 betting favorite, Cooper is +275, Kelly is +350, and Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear is +500.  (No one else has better odds than +1600, where Buttigieg comes in.)  Another thing that could be a plus for Kelly is that AZ has a Democratic governor, so his Senate seat would not be at risk for the Democrats.

1 hour ago, jcc said:

My point was that whilst Americans will have no problem voting for a female POTUS (Hillary got nearly 3m more votes than Trump) they may not want that historic first appointment going to a woman of colour.

This is nonsense. It presumes that there’s not a substantial overlap between those that would not vote for a woman and would not vote for a POC. I would say that those who are concerned about either are likely concerned about both. 

55 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

I agree with you that AZ is not as important as PA, but Kelly probably has the largest name recognition nationally, so that might count for something.  Shapiro is the +200 betting favorite, Cooper is +275, Kelly is +350, and Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear is +500.  (No one else has better odds than +1600, where Buttigieg comes in.)  Another thing that could be a plus for Kelly is that AZ has a Democratic governor, so his Senate seat would not be at risk for the Democrats.

I think Beshear is the safest bet. He’s term limited and they won’t elect another Democrat, so losing his position is not a gamble, just an inevitability. However, to win his current position (twice) he had to have significant cross-party appeal. This is not true in North Carolina, as it is so evenly split that everything comes down to people without party loyalty. Beshear managed to get Republicans, in one of the reddest states in the union, to vote for him. Though I don’t expect he would get Republicans to abandon Trump, he may mollify moderates who think (falsely) that Harris is some sort of radical leftist. Additionally he may appeal to truly moderate voters and undecideds with no party loyalty, and at the very least he speaks to the same voters that Trump hopes to speak to by picking Vance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jcc said:

Aye, think I got that, couldn't resist the banter. 

7 hours ago, arrowsmith said:

I think Beshear is the safest bet. He’s term limited and they won’t elect another Democrat, so losing his position is not a gamble, just an inevitability. However, to win his current position (twice) he had to have significant cross-party appeal. This is not true in North Carolina, as it is so evenly split that everything comes down to people without party loyalty. Beshear managed to get Republicans, in one of the reddest states in the union, to vote for him. Though I don’t expect he would get Republicans to abandon Trump, he may mollify moderates who think (falsely) that Harris is some sort of radical leftist. Additionally he may appeal to truly moderate voters and undecideds with no party loyalty, and at the very least he speaks to the same voters that Trump hopes to speak to by picking Vance. 

I think he's quite capable, sure.  But he definitely isn't delivering Kentucky to the Democrats, for one thing.  As for his appeal in that state, I think the fact that his father was once the Governor is a major factor.  (It's why Joe Manchin was able to keep winning elections in West Virginia for decades.)  I'm just not sure that he's a better strategic play than the others.  Incidentally, Kelly is now the very slight favorite at +200, Shapiro is +225, and Cooper is at +300.  Beshear is a little further back at +850.  

• Like 1

I'd love her to pick Gretchen Whitmer. I think a world run entirely by women would primarily be a less aggressive one than men have managed throughout history with the US leading the way for once instead of simply proclaiming that they do.

Won't happen of course, far too risky, but one can dream.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

I'd love her to pick Gretchen Whitmer. I think a world run entirely by women would primarily be a less aggressive one than men have managed throughout history with the US leading the way for once instead of simply proclaiming that they do.

I am not saying two women could not run the country.  This is just my own opinion but for the sake of the country one of them should not be Whitmer.  I feel Michigan is not in the best shape, and many people especially around Detroit area have fled for greener pastures and she did distasteful things during the pandemic.

Loads of Trump suporting accounts keep clamming Biden is critically ill and expected to die soon.  It seems the Musk algorithm promotes those as I keep seeing them. 

1 minute ago, The Old Crem said:

Loads of Trump suporting accounts keep clamming Biden is critically ill and expected to die soon. 

Well hopefully not. But when you see the guy he always does look on the failure side, and with his age it is possible that any illness could take him. I would say though if he was in that type of danger he would be hospitalized. Hopefully he will be seen soon by the media and all suspicions can be lay to rest there.  But if we do not see him for any length of time I could see how people would think that.

2 hours ago, En Passant said:

Aggressive, maybe not. Passive-Aggressive, almost certainly!

• Haha 1

Are women and men that seek powerful roles that much different?

I think I could argue quite successfully that Margaret Thatcher was one of our most aggressive PMs whereas David Cameron was a wet lettuce. I don’t see Kier Starmer as aggressive either but I didn’t want someone to say that was a party political difference.

• Like 2