paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, DeathClock said:

Do you think Cuomo (New York’s Governor) will take my advice?5FE833E0-FA05-4C08-8461-B553AF20D9F4.thumb.png.1ea02fbaa9a20328932fb2a5cd1e3b42.png

We should just open up designated cities for people who don't want a lockdown to go and co-mingle with eachother. Natural selection. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

We should just open up designated cities for people who don't want a lockdown to go and co-mingle with eachother. Natural selection. 

I’ll be down.

US family 'murdered shop guard for enforcing mask policy'

A woman has been charged along with her husband and son with killing a security guard who refused her daughter entry to a shop because she was not wearing a face covering.

Calvin Munerlyn, 43, was shot in the back of the head on Friday at the Family Dollar store in Flint, Michigan, one of the US states hardest hit by the pandemic.

He was attacked after telling 45-year-old Sharmel Teague's daughter she could not come into the shop without a state-mandated mask.

BBC story

• Sad 1

The UK death rate is simply horrific. Doris and the cabinet simply have to take the blame for their poor leadership and Keir Starmer has to stop supporting them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Personally I hate that everyone in politics and the media seems to concentrate on the numbers of deaths when it should be the spread of infections that should be the priority.

Fair enough they are testing more people but that was a big jump in numbers today to take it back over 6000/day.

Selfish I know but the more it spreads the more chance of me catching it.

If they went with herd immunity I wonder how many would be dying everyday? Sweden's highest death toll in one day is 778 Britain has had many days over that figure but we have a much larger population. 778 deaths a day per 10m so 778 × 6.5 = 5057  deaths a day. Does anyone think without lockdown we'd of had this amount of deaths?

• Like 1

Just now, the_engineer said:

If they went with herd immunity I wonder how many would be dying everyday? Sweden's highest death toll in one day is 778 Britain has had many days over that figure but we have a much larger population. 778 deaths a day per 10m so 778 × 6.5 = 5057  deaths a day. Does anyone think without lockdown we'd of had this amount of deaths?

I think we'd have easily been in that ballpark if not worse because NHS capacity would be totally and completely overwhelmed far below that. 

What enrages me is all the fucking finger pointing and point-scoring.  Party politics should have no part to play in this.  They should have all got together and cooperated at the start.

• Like 3

Know what’s more dangerous than the coronavirus? 

Believing that your government cares about you

10 hours ago, Toast said:

What enrages me is all the fucking finger pointing and point-scoring.  Party politics should have no part to play in this.  They should have all got together and cooperated at the start.

Eh. The gvt had a large majority and saw no interest in forming a gvt of national unity.  Major opposition parties already have seats on the health executive committee and on cobra.  I'm not sure what creating one would really add... whereas with a functioning opposition, we have a counter to the gvt just spewing out propaganda rather than fessing up when they get things wrong, and a means to put alternative measures forward. 

You might be interested in this further discussion on the topic: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-mps-are-talking-about-a-government-of-national-unity

• Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 00:53, Joey Russ said:

US could’ve had less deaths if the government hadn’t fucked up this entire thing. Now they’re expecting the death toll to be at least 100k, and I think that’s a lowball estimate tbh...

80.000 confirmed deaths in The States. Yeah, they are in for a bad time. 

New advice from Big Job:

3AF8B356-B919-4F1F-91D8-3B49CDAE67F5.thumb.jpeg.c8a586d0edba320cd02452186c919979.jpeg

Good to see we’re sticking to the policy format of:

96D24559-E550-4CF9-B2D9-2AF7CC5C0EF5.thumb.jpeg.b89ff064ce8a60f894807f7e3c31a43c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

New advice from Big Job:

3AF8B356-B919-4F1F-91D8-3B49CDAE67F5.thumb.jpeg.c8a586d0edba320cd02452186c919979.jpeg

96D24559-E550-4CF9-B2D9-2AF7CC5C0EF5.thumb.jpeg.b89ff064ce8a60f894807f7e3c31a43c.jpeg

What would your message be then?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

New advice from Big Job:

So this follows a government trend.

Shortage of teachers how do we solve this - run an advertising campaign

Shortage of police - run an advertising campaign

Shortage of NHS staff - run an advertising campaign

Shortage of armed forces - run an advertising campaign

Historically the shortages have been created by the austerity cut backs. 

Net beneficiaries from the above, the advertisers. The politicians say I have solved the problem, with an advertising campaign.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Toast said:

What would your message be then?

I wouldn't relax the 'message' we had before; it's far too early given that the infection rate is still there-or-thereabouts the same as it was 3-4 weeks ago, as illustrated here:

EXXZXApU8AA8PBa.jpeg.9b6ddc28047ba1bf72d36dd0c7777523.jpeg

And when the time comes where it's safe to slacken up the rules, it'd be something a bit less vague and platitudinous than 'stay alert'...what does that mean? Are we supposed to turn round and karate chop this 0.1micron diameter virus when it approaches, like it's some kind of Cato figure? Maybe it means we can control the virus with our minds? Or maybe, were I payed to do this job full-time, I'd perhaps put my mind to giving the population clear advice about how to act safely, with substance and meaning, rather than focusing purely on mindless sloganeering that might look good on a poster or printed in The Sun.

Also, the irony of the government now bandying about the word 'alert' after how unalert it was to this would be quite amusing, if there weren't 32,000 dead as a result.

• Like 2

I don't think we can trust the infection rate figures, since many more people have been tested latterly.  There were almost certainly thousands of people who had the virus earlier on who went unrecorded. 

As for staying alert, it's a useful reminder to me personally as it's easy to forget about social distancing where I am.  Live in a village, see loads of people every day, know most of them, stop to chat etc.  There have been no deaths at all from the virus in our area.  

53 minutes ago, Toast said:

I don't think we can trust the infection rate figures, since many more people have been tested latterly.  There were almost certainly thousands of people who had the virus earlier on who went unrecorded. 

True, but we can still compare figures between countries, they'll have the same degree of error as our figures; the cases that predated records exist everywhere else too. The fact is, Italy, Spain and France are similar to our country with regard to population and scale of outbreak, and our country (unless it's all dropped dramatically over 3 days since these figures were published) has not seen any real decline in new cases yet. They're only just starting to ease restrictions now, a few weeks after they've recorded significant declines.

As for staying alert, it's a useful reminder to me personally as it's easy to forget about social distancing where I am.  Live in a village, see loads of people every day, know most of them, stop to chat etc.  There have been no deaths at all from the virus in our area.  

The point really is that 'stay alert' is nothing more than a panchreston, it's not a policy. It's so open to interpretation that no preventative action can be enforced. And we need it as a nation, for the people who aren't lucky enough to live in relatively secluded areas that haven't been hit so much, and the people who are less inclined to act with a responsible level of caution.

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

True, but we can still compare figures between countries, they'll have the same degree of error as our figures

I don't think that's a given.

2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

The point really is that 'stay alert' is nothing more than a panchreston, it's not a policy. It's so open to interpretation that no preventative action can be enforced. And we need it as a nation, for the people who aren't lucky enough to live in relatively secluded areas that haven't been hit so much, and the people who are less inclined to act with a responsible level of caution.

Oh, I do appreciate that I'm very lucky.

But it's been open to interpretation from the start and people everywhere will have bent the rules to suit themselves.

We've been allowed to go out shopping and allowed to go out "for exercise", and there's been nothing to stop people going shopping every day, or going out more than once a day.   Some people will have behaved more responsibly than others, and that won't change.

Germany numbers going up again after easing lockdown.  I'm being a bit of a hypocrite (cos I'm going out to work) STAY AT HOME. 

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

Germany numbers going up again after easing lockdown.  I'm being a bit of a hypocrite (cos I'm going out to work) STAY AT HOME. 

So are South Korea, happened in the leisure district.

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

Be Alert, stay safe.