paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What a disaster

11 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

What a disaster

Not really a disaster until they get to a million deaths and Trump is trying hard to achieve that.

Bit of an intriguing video put together...

• Like 1

On 28/04/2020 at 08:03, torbrexbones said:

Not really a disaster until they get to a million deaths and Trump is trying hard to achieve that.

Even if the whole of the USA ended up with as many deaths as the worst affected state (New York, where nearly 40% of all reported US Covid deaths have happened) has had so far, you'd only be talking about 400,000 deaths or so. 

11 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

Even if the whole of the USA ended up with as many deaths as the worst affected state (New York, where nearly 40% of all reported US Covid deaths have happened) has had so far, you'd only be talking about 400,000 deaths or so. 

A possible slight misuse of the word 'only'. :D

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Never let ones emotion and empathy get in the way of statistical data and forecasting.

• Like 1

Talking about numbers I see that the UK has gone above Germany in the table for recorded infections.

Well done Boris.

20 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

Talking about numbers I see that the UK has gone above Germany in the table for recorded infections.

Well done Boris.

Yes, and the infection rate is starting to climb post lockdown relaxation in Germany.

What part of 'everybody is in the shit do you not understand?

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Yes, and the infection rate is starting to climb post lockdown relaxation in Germany.

What part of 'everybody is in the shit do you not understand?

Talking of Germany I just love this 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/29/mask-dilemma-for-police-in-germany-as-may-day-activists-cover-up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Oh what a dilemma!

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

I kind of want to watch this. Some people are going to have ideas. However, rain is probably going to soothe people. 

Seems like the UK had a data dump, like France belatedly added care home deaths to the official count.

Both countries are not really happy with their leaders. With an almost identical number of cases, the UK has slightly more fatalities.

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Possibly I could have punctuated that better. 

Incidentally, NY state has been particularly hard hit by this thing. I reckon within the next few days their deaths per capita figure will exceed that of every country in the world. 

9 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Seems like the UK had a data dump, like France belatedly added care home deaths to the official count.

Both countries are not really happy with their leaders. With an almost identical number of cases, the UK has slightly more fatalities.

You know, in reality, our leader has had more positive feedback and 'trust to handle the pandemic' than the new leader of the opposition.

People, broadly, accept that things are what they are and, yes,  government should have acted far faster than it did.

Many fuck ups have been made, the inquest when this is over will be long and, I think, painful.

When you look around, not too many major nations are doing brilliantly well, I think most of us were caught off guard and it should not have happened.

Lets hope this shit is over soon.

3 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You know, in reality, our leader has had more positive feedback and 'trust to handle the pandemic' than the new leader of the opposition.

People, broadly, accept that things are what they are and, yes,  government should have acted far faster than it did.

Many fuck ups have been made, the inquest when this is over will be long and, I think, painful.

When you look around, not too many major nations are doing brilliantly well, I think most of us were caught off guard and it should not have happened.

A leader of the opposition who majority of public don't know has lower trust than a pm. Most people knew beforehand? It's not like trudt has anything to do with familiarity is it? 

Let's see who the public trusts in 12 months. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

SY2TCXPnKCTsBZCcRv.gif

So we see from New Zealand who have managed to use an isolate and trace process that it is possible to eliminate the virus from a population where you have control over the movement of people. In Europe which has a denser population and a mobile much larger initial infected population to seed the virus spread, the issues with isolation movement and social distancing have been more difficult to control. Unless you have an immunity or do not suffer badly from the virus you are still potentially at risk of death. Until we get an immunisation this will remain the case as the virus is still being carried in society and the risk from social mixing will continue.

None of the governments are coping with PPE as the scale of demand could not have been foreseen or funded from any rational program, supply chains can't be created instantly and lead times are a fact of life. PPE and the raw materials produce it to a standard does not grow on trees or wait on shelves to be picked in all available sizes. What is currently required PPE, testing kits and medics are in short supply often coming from outside of the uk. The current aim is to manage these resources to reduce the level of infection and deaths. 

There will be shortages, deaths many of which would have happened anyway and critical reviews of the approaches taken (too late and of little use except for future planning). We are hopefully not going to reach Spanish Flu levels.

All of the leaders have had to make difficult choices, all will have critics, the question is could you have done any better in real time without hindsight?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Miracle Aligner said:

A leader of the opposition who majority of public don't know has lower trust than a pm. Most people knew beforehand? It's not like trudt has anything to do with familiarity is it? 

Let's see who the public trusts in 12 months. 

You think?

Most people know who Starmer is, he was sitting on the opposition benches for long enough and was prominent in the General Election.

TBF, not many will be au fait with his previous  role, a much criticised role, as Director of public prosecutions.

He did not cover himself in glory in that job.

Of course, there are plenty out there who would not have a clue, the same people that never follow Politics at any level and need help to tie their own shoelaces.

No, Starmer has yet to prove himself as an able leader of the opposition, he may turn out to be the saviour of Britain.

Then again, he may not.

Until then, we have little choice but to Trust the Government, its leader and accept that very few countries out there are coping very well with all of this.

12 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Of course, there are plenty out there who would not have a clue, the same people that never follow Politics at any level and need help to tie their own shoelaces.

That would be me (not the shoelaces bit though).

I would be more impressed with Starmer if instead of nagging at the government to spell out an exit plan for the current situation, he had offered one himself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

That would be me (not the shoelaces bit though).

I would be more impressed with Starmer if instead of nagging at the government to spell out an exit plan for the current situation, he had offered one himself.

Exactly.

They never do, they just moan like fuck, a bit like people on here that moan about the response, lack of action, lack of this, lack of that but would not want the job in a million fucking years.

It's easy to sit on the sides and be critical.

• Like 1

See, this is what I mean

The leader of the UK's opposition Labour Party has said he is glad to hear the government will be unveiling a plan for managing the next stage of the coronavirus pandemic.

Sir Keir Starmer said this was something his party had been calling for.

Sir Keir said: "I think the whole country will be really pleased to hear that. Everybody has been anxious to get the infection and death down."

He added: ‘I've been calling on the PM to have a plan for the next stage, an exit strategy. The PM now said he’s going to have a plan next week.

"We’ll look at it when we see it. It’s a step in the right direction."

What good has he done by heckling from the sidelines?  If any of these people were fit to run the country they'd be working together on a plan.   Offering and welcoming discussion and suggestions.  Party politics should be binned in times of national emergency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

What good has he done by heckling from the sidelines?  If any of these people were fit to run the country they'd be working together on a plan.   Offering and welcoming discussion and suggestions.  Party politics should be binned in times of national emergency.

Are you my next door neighbour?

I said exactly the same thing to him at about 1:30 this afternoon.

• Thanks 1

Do you think Cuomo (New York’s Governor) will take my advice?5FE833E0-FA05-4C08-8461-B553AF20D9F4.thumb.png.1ea02fbaa9a20328932fb2a5cd1e3b42.png

• Facepalm 2